Potential Comp Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Potential Comp Picks

It would be shooting one's self in the foot to lose multiple highend free agents and then blow the comp formula.

Normally I would be nervous the team would fear-sign some players upfront to fill in the holes instead of waiting later into the offseason. Since we really don't have any money to spend anyway, we should be pretty safe in just staying the course and getting some picks next year.

Losing two of the top players on the team for a possible 3rd and 4th round pick is severely disappointing but unfortunately with the cap in the NFL, that’s the way things work.

They will be lucky to find a player in the 3rd or 4th rounds who will be anything more than a special team player but we can always hope they get lucky with at least one of those picks.

Losing two of the top players on the team for a possible 3rd and 4th round pick is severely disappointing but unfortunately with the cap in the NFL, that’s the way things work.

They will be lucky to find a player in the 3rd or 4th rounds who will be anything more than a special team player but we can always hope they get lucky with at least one of those picks.
Agree that the compensation will not replace the specific leaving players but we could still find other very useful players in those spots.

Running backs, slot corners, second tightends, middle linebackers, etc.. can be found there along with typical devlopment or recently injured players in more premium positions. That gives some flexibility to at least focus in free agency or the top of the draft to find their true replacements. These picks can also be traded away now which makes them a little more useful too.

But yes, in comparison, the picks themselves do not hold up compared to the player lost.

Does that mean that each team's starters are only 1st and 2nd round picks?

Shouldn’t be much of a concern as we don’t have the money to counteract those potential comp picks.

We’ll likely sign a couple of guys after June 1st that won’t factor into the formula anyway.

It’s pretty clear this will be one of the least compelling off seasons in recent memory.

a lot of jargon in that post by CK.

Why couldnt we tag Wilkins and then trade him? Surely we could have got more for him than a late 3rd.

Grier must be comfortable with the ability to draft replacements for Wilkins and Hunt.

Lose Wilkins and one of the first two picks, 21 or 55, would have to be a DT.

I'm less concerned about Hunt. He's good, but there's a lot of offensive line talent in the draft.

I kind of disagree, if a team knows what their doing, they can find good starting quality players in the 3rd or later, not easy, but it's there for the taking if you know what you're doing.

Miami in the the last 4 years have drafted (3rd and beyond) or signed after draft Devon Achane, Brandon Jones, Blake Ferguson, Andrew Van Ginkle, Myles Gaskin, Jerome Baker, Durham Smythe, Isiah Ford, Chris Brooks, Kader Kohou to mention a few, and that's only the last 4 years.

Miami just needs to do the work, and continue to find the talent.

Last edited:
Does that mean that each team's starters are only 1st and 2nd round picks?
Not at all and I agree with your thoughts. Usually the lower round guys take a little longer to bring up but every pick is valuable.

Usually you don't find star defensive tackles after round one who go gangbusters right out the gate but every pick is a worthwhile lotto ticket.

Why couldnt we tag Wilkins and then trade him? Surely we could have got more for him than a late 3rd.
Doubtful... there's little reason for another team to offer more. They'd still be stuck paying a monster contract.
Everyone knows that Wilkins is holding out for a reset of the DT market... so if you are committed to outbidding everyone else, then you just wait for him to become a Free Agent... and do so.

I kind of disagree, if a team knows what their doing, they can find good starting quality players in the 3rd or later, not easy, but it's there for the taking if you know what you're doing.

Miami in the the last 4 years have drafted (3rd and beyond) or signed after draft Devon Achane, Brandon Jones, Blake Ferguson, Andrew Van Ginkle, Myles Gaskin, Jerome Baker, Durham Smythe, Isiah Ford, Chris Brooks, Kader Kohou to mention a few, and that's only the last 4 years.

Very true.

In addition to what ckparrot posted in his tweet. The NFL only allows up to Four Comp Picks per team, each year. So if Miami does lose Wilkins, AVG and Hunt and gain Picks for 2025. They'll only be entitled to One Additional comp pick for any other F/A losses. Then the question becomes, whether or not Miami spends themselves out of the comp picks they'd have received.

I’m sure they will do the work in an attempt to find the best players possible if they receive compensation for Hunt and Wilkins. Yet as I mentioned earlier, trying to replace two of the best players on the entire roster is going to be extremely difficult.

That is why I stated they will be extremely lucky to to find a solid player with either of those picks, but it does happen on occasion.

The reality is that a 3rd round supplemental pick is really just an early 4th round pick and a 4th round pick is just an early 5th round pick. Only 10.4% of 4th round picks ever become starters in the NFL, while just over 6% of 5th round picks eventually become starters.

Both those percentages are quite a bit less than 1st and 2nd round picks, which is what Wilkins and Hunt were.

Obviously getting something back in return for losing Wilkins and Hunt would be better than getting nothing but I just hate to see either of them leave in free agency.

Because we don't have the cap space to tag him.

We should've traded him before last years trade deadline like I suggested and people freaked out because they thought we would mess up our Super Bowl run.

Now its too late. No one wants to pony up that money and lose a 2nd round (let alone more) to acquire him.

There is no leverage when your $30M in the hole against the cap. Nothing like Carolina's situation with Brian Burns.

Back
Top Bottom