Potential Comp Picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Potential Comp Picks

While I agree, the percentages of Miami finding starting type players with the comp picks isn’t very high; let's not forget Baker, Achane and AVG are players who Miami found in the 3rd round and beyond. It's not unheard of. Once Miami traded for both Chubb and Hill and signed Armstead during F/A in was inevitable they'd have to sacrifice some players due to economics.

Let's hope Hunt gets paid well enough to garner a 3rd round comp for the Dolphins in 2025.

As a reminder wasn't it Baltimore who had like 6 4th round picks a few years ago.

Last edited:
Because we don't have the cap space to tag him.

We should've traded him before last years trade deadline like I suggested and people freaked out because they thought we would mess up our Super Bowl run.

Now its too late. No one wants to pony up that money and lose a 2nd round (let alone more) to acquire him.

There is no leverage when your $30M in the hole against the cap. Nothing like Carolina's situation with Brian Burns.
I got called a Moron, a few years ago, by someone on Finheaven for suggesting Miami could trade Wilkins. And now look where Miami is.

Low end trades and guys that get cut we'll target.

I'll let Russ Cook for vet min for 1 year, deal Tua, and draft / groom the future.

Low end trades and guys that get cut we'll target.

I'll let Russ Cook for vet min for 1 year, deal Tua, and draft / groom the future.

Big balls post right here😂
I wonder if anyone has called the Dolphins about Tua. Atlanta should have.

I got called a Moron, a few years ago, by someone on Finheaven for suggesting Miami could trade Wilkins. And now look where Miami is.

Before the 2022 season, I started a post saying we should sign this guy now before we can't afford him. Last year before the trade deadline I said we needed to trade him while we had the leverage.

It's unbelievable how short sited our GM is. Anyone who thinks Chris Grier will find the right formula to bring a championship to Miami is fooling themselves. He's definitely not the worst GM out there or anything but he'll never hoist a trophy because he can't plan.

I have a hard time thinking about comp picks for 2025.......I don’t trust grier and I could see him trading future picks away to draft players now......he's always compromising the future to put a bandaid on the team now.....it all comes down to drafting wisely and he hasn’t done that

I’m sure they will do the work in an attempt to find the best players possible if they receive compensation for Hunt and Wilkins. Yet as I mentioned earlier, trying to replace two of the best players on the entire roster is going to be extremely difficult.

That is why I stated they will be extremely lucky to to find a solid player with either of those picks, but it does happen on occasion.

The reality is that a 3rd round supplemental pick is really just an early 4th round pick and a 4th round pick is just an early 5th round pick. Only 10.4% of 4th round picks ever become starters in the NFL, while just over 6% of 5th round picks eventually become starters.

Both those percentages are quite a bit less than 1st and 2nd round picks, which is what Wilkins and Hunt were.

Obviously getting something back in return for losing Wilkins and Hunt would be better than getting nothing but I just hate to see either of them leave in free agency.

Nothing is guaranteed, even in the 1st or 2nd, the players could be garbage, though you see the talent, you really can't see what drives them, or how much heart for the game they have.

I guess then, I will then just have to hope Miami in late 3rd get 4th round picks QB Joe Theismann, DT Paul Soliai, TE Randy McMichael, or RB Lamarr Miller.

Or In the late 4th 5th round picks like Zach Thomas, Rashad Jones, Jim Kiick, or Bryan Cox...All 4th and 5th round picks drafted by Miami once.

They are there, I understand you feeling the way you do, and yes, it will be very doubtful we get back what we will be losing, but the salary cap has done that now as you know, but I really think there is a chance of getting solid or better back.

CK explains it all here.

So was James... We ended up with a fifth, so really can't count your eggs before they're hatched. Especially with the luck we have

Because we don't have the cap space to tag him.

We should've traded him before last years trade deadline like I suggested and people freaked out because they thought we would mess up our Super Bowl run.

Now its too late. No one wants to pony up that money and lose a 2nd round (let alone more) to acquire him.

There is no leverage when your $30M in the hole against the cap. Nothing like Carolina's situation with Brian Burns.
Hindsight does not impress me

I know Grier and the agent for Wilkins tried to work out a deal.

Can't blame Wilkins for believing he can get more than what Miami offered. And you can't blame the Dolphins for having a limit on what they can spend.

It's unfortunate. I think Wilkins may be the best DT Miami has ever had, but we live in a salary cap era where teams can't keep all their talent.

I very much hope Miami gets contracts done with Phillips, Holland and Waddle. That would soften the blow a little from losing Wilkins if he signs elsewhere.

I think the big question is whether the Dolphins can actually have a net gain in talent after free agency and the draft. I think that's going to be a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom