Pre-Combine Board | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-Combine Board

Landry locked in his top-10 grade. Speed and burst/explosive power are solid, but his agility is his best trait, which is what we expected.

We knew Phillips wasn't fast, but he in addition to his 42 reps, he jumped 32" in the vert and put up a 7.28 3-cone - better than Bradley Chubb. As expected, Taven Bryan destroyed the Combine.

Smith came in big enough and looked good before the injury. Vander Esch moved much better than I thought. I've been pretty hard on those two. 11 is still too rich for me - especially if super freak Edmunds is sitting there - but both of their futures are looking pretty bright.

Kiser showed he has the athleticism to cover. Jewell has an uphill battle after those numbers.

Moore came in way light (expected) and just looked decent. Didn't really help or hurt himself. I like his WILL potential in this D. Haven't heard anything awful about the neck unless I missed it. I'd love to get him in the 4th or 5th.

Bryan. Damn. That combine coupled with dominant tape ... is he an option if the board falls a certain way even if there isn't a glaring need? Can we afford to use 11 on a guy and wait for the return on investment? Snaps might be hard to come by the first season or 2 even if he can play a few different positions on the line. That's a tough one. He checks every box.

Feeling better about this draft after the last few days. Cool with being wrong about a guy here and there ... more talent means it's harder for the dolphins to **** it all up.

I've been pretty busy but I did manage to finish getting through the combine. I'm interested to see who you think fell and rose after watching. There's a few that I wouldn't draft altogether after watching them struggle.

McFadden flies off the page as someone who needs to make a safety switch if he has any hopes of an NFL future. Maybe even LB after watching him move. There's a few corners who are in the same boat ... plus there's a few safeties who aren't overly physical that had plenty of speed and athleticism to make the switch.

I don't see a ton of mention but James came in a little smaller than expected. A switch isn't out of the question for him at all.

I've said for a long time that Fitzpatrick is the dream and he killed it. I don't even care if corner isn't a massive need. He should be long gone but that's a no brainer.

Elliott did stumble a little. He should be there for our pick in the 2nd.

Still love Jackson and Davis as press options (Jackson looks to be scheme fluid) in our D. 2nd is on the table for them as well.

For me at 11 in no particular order:

Allen
Fitzpatrick
James (provided he isn't pigeon holed into a position)
Edmunds
Bryan
Nelson (don't think it will happen but could do worse)

Darnold, Rosen, and Chubb will go top 5 but they'd obviously make the cut if not.

How do you feel about Uchenna Nwosu from USC? 9.5 and 13 PD in his senior year. Just about every DB would kill to have 13 PD in one season but do you think he's a good fit?

Ozzy rules!!

Don't think he's a great fit for Miami, but I like him pretty well. Like a lot of other players, he skipped agility drills. I thought he'd do well, but confirmation would be nice - given that he didn't jump well.

Also, I like Avery fine on Day 3. I was just making fun of the absurd statement.

I've been pretty busy but I did manage to finish getting through the combine. I'm interested to see who you think fell and rose after watching. There's a few that I wouldn't draft altogether after watching them struggle.

McFadden flies off the page as someone who needs to make a safety switch if he has any hopes of an NFL future. Maybe even LB after watching him move. There's a few corners who are in the same boat ... plus there's a few safeties who aren't overly physical that had plenty of speed and athleticism to make the switch.

I don't see a ton of mention but James came in a little smaller than expected. A switch isn't out of the question for him at all.

I've said for a long time that Fitzpatrick is the dream and he killed it. I don't even care if corner isn't a massive need. He should be long gone but that's a no brainer.

Elliott did stumble a little. He should be there for our pick in the 2nd.

Still love Jackson and Davis as press options (Jackson looks to be scheme fluid) in our D. 2nd is on the table for them as well.

For me at 11 in no particular order:

Allen
Fitzpatrick
James (provided he isn't pigeon holed into a position)
Edmunds
Bryan
Nelson (don't think it will happen but could do worse)

Darnold, Rosen, and Chubb will go top 5 but they'd obviously make the cut if not.

I needed Fitzpatrick to test like an elite CB, and he didn't, so he's out of the top 10. Don't see it at FS for him. Still a 1st RD pick but not like a smaller Jalen Ramsey.

Agree that Elliott's time should make him available in the 2nd, but - agility drills pending - he's tested very similarly to Harrison Smith, who has been my comp for him. I'll likely drop him out of the top 10, but he's not leaving my top 20.

At 11, Smith, Edmunds, Vander Esch, Landry, Chubb, Davenport, Nelson, and James would be my top non-QB options.

Lots of DE's/pass rushers will drop significantly for me. Bad group with poor athleticism overall. Some CB's and OT's also took a big hit.

Not a great class.

J-Off we have talked about Brian Womac before. You may be interested to know the only draft eligible edge rusher that was more efficient than Womac on a per snap basis was Shaquem Griffin.

It was Shaquem Griffin, Brian Womac, Marcus Davenport, Jeff Holland...all with pressure rates at 20% or better, which is insane.

There are some other guys like Easy Anyama, Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, and Ja'Von Rolland-Jones that are really prolific undersized low rated pass rushers like Womac. But what I like about Womac is that whether you pop on the tape of him against Stanford, Pittsburgh, or North Texas, you're going to get the same guy doing the same things. He's going to rush the hell out of the outside, force the quarterback to step up a lot, and if you try and block him in the backfield with a back or maybe with an offensive lineman on a wham block, it's going to be a mistake.

Then he mixes in that motor of his. I don't know if he's just afforded this ability because Rice was so active about their defensive rotations, or if he's just got a ton of stamina, but the guy runs all over the place. If you put a catapult on him and tracked how much distance at speed he covers per snap, the stamina might become more clear, but the guy is hustling everywhere.

Seems like a prototypical Patriots linebacker in the mold of a Kyle Van Noy.

J-Off we have talked about Brian Womac before. You may be interested to know the only draft eligible edge rusher that was more efficient than Womac on a per snap basis was Shaquem Griffin.

It was Shaquem Griffin, Brian Womac, Marcus Davenport, Jeff Holland...all with pressure rates at 20% or better, which is insane.

There are some other guys like Easy Anyama, Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, and Ja'Von Rolland-Jones that are really prolific undersized low rated pass rushers like Womac. But what I like about Womac is that whether you pop on the tape of him against Stanford, Pittsburgh, or North Texas, you're going to get the same guy doing the same things. He's going to rush the hell out of the outside, force the quarterback to step up a lot, and if you try and block him in the backfield with a back or maybe with an offensive lineman on a wham block, it's going to be a mistake.

Then he mixes in that motor of his. I don't know if he's just afforded this ability because Rice was so active about their defensive rotations, or if he's just got a ton of stamina, but the guy runs all over the place. If you put a catapult on him and tracked how much distance at speed he covers per snap, the stamina might become more clear, but the guy is hustling everywhere.

Seems like a prototypical Patriots linebacker in the mold of a Kyle Van Noy.

I loved Kyle Van Noy coming out. I was surprised he didn't do that well in Detroit. Still hasn't turned out to be a hugely successful player.

Back
Top Bottom