Pre-Combine Board | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-Combine Board

Great job Mr. Doll. Is your evaluation slanted at all towards what you believe our certified draft da Vinci's are about to masterfully create (well, maybe NOT)?

Beyond that -- really enjoy all you draft gurus and y'all draft mountain Sherpas!

Great job Mr. Doll. Is your evaluation slanted at all towards what you believe our certified draft da Vinci's are about to masterfully create (well, maybe NOT)?

Beyond that -- really enjoy all you draft gurus and y'all draft mountain Sherpas!

Thank you, BigNastyFish! Not slanted at all. This is where I like each player.

Braden Smith did too. Without even getting red or breaking a sweat. Damn.

This surprised me a bit. I don't put much stock in the bench, but 30+ reps is certainly not a bad sign. I think most would agree that Nelson looks and plays stronger than Smith, but I think he's been somewhat forgotten, and he's a nice prospect. Should test well.

This surprised me a bit. I don't put much stock in the bench, but 30+ reps is certainly not a bad sign. I think most would agree that Nelson looks and plays stronger than Smith, but I think he's been somewhat forgotten, and he's a nice prospect. Should test well.

Ditto. Always viewed him as more a finesse guy who might be able to show value by being able to slide out to T in a pinch if his footwork checked out and arms were long enough. That frame did not equal putting up 35 reps that easily to me. Gotta love the combine.

Definitely rethinking that one.

Ditto. Always viewed him as more a finesse guy who might be able to show value by being able to slide out to T in a pinch if his footwork checked out and arms were long enough. That frame did not equal putting up 35 reps that easily to me. Gotta love the combine.

Definitely rethinking that one.

On the other end, Penny had something like 14 reps, but I don't care. He's can play.

On the other end, Penny had something like 14 reps, but I don't care. He's can play.

That's the biggest weakness I've always seen on the field with Barkley. I said it back during the season, but it's what keeps him out of the Gurley, Elliott, Fournette category of backs. He doesn't run with the power or tackle breaking ability they did.

I remember Todd Gurley averaging over 5 yards/carry on runs where he was hit in the backfield. Insane.

Definitely. But lineman need to have at least requisite strength. When you can only put up 20 like our boy JMart, it might be time to go back to the drawing board. Even better when they pump out 35 reps like it's cool.

Hernandez just put up 37. These guys are monsters.

Barkley put up 29. He's gonna light this thing up.

That's the biggest weakness I've always seen on the field with Barkley. I said it back during the season, but it's what keeps him out of the Gurley, Elliott, Fournette category of backs. He doesn't run with the power or tackle breaking ability they did.

I remember Todd Gurley averaging over 5 yards/carry on runs where he was hit in the backfield. Insane.

I agree, Slimm. In the right situation, I can see Barkley as a 1,000/1,000 back, but he's not consistent enough as a runner to control games on the ground the way those players did/do. Forte and David Johnson are the two guys I keep coming back to as comps.

Barkley reminds me of Daniel Thomas too much.

I know it's not right and it's unfair but it keeps bringing up that horrible nightmare of a RB.

That comp never came to mind, but I think I know what you mean - dances a lot and runs a little soft for his size. Luckily for Barkley, he has more redeeming qualities than Thomas.

From the limited views of Barkley I've seen in the big10, he gets his yards by out accelerating the defense in space. But he is big enough to not shy from contact.
A lot of teams tried to shut him down but only northwesten could do it with some success.
Barkley is a true #1 feature back.
Miami taking him would be a luxury pick with drake showing promise.

It's early in the Combine, but, so far, the disappointments have been few and far between. Orlando Brown was terrible, but his 3-cone (relative to his size) showed why he was able to be an effective LT at Oklahoma. Jones II came hurt himself running the 40 and Walton ran slower than he is, but everyone know Jones II is fast, and Walton is returning from an injury. Hopefully, with more time, Walton will have a better Pro Day. Jones II's primary issue is that he runs into the back of his OL to often, and his vision is just pretty good - not high-level. My initial comparison was the one that everyone seems to be making - Jamaal Charles. They do move in similar ways, with great make-you-miss ability. They're slippery. The key difference, as I watched more of Jones II, is that Charles had elite vision and instincts, and Jones II does not. Charles was also a more accomplished, and I'd say natural, receiver coming out of Texas. I still like Jones II, but some of the praise laps his skill.

Anyway, the overarching point is that none of Barkley, Guice, Penny, Kelly, Jones II, Johnson, Chubb, or Freeman did anything to hurt their stock. To this point, they were who we thought they were - great-to-very-good RB's, with physical talent ranging from plenty good to exceptional. Adams didn't do anything, and he's concerning me a bit, but I'm not going to drop him before that.

OL had some problems. My guy, Jamarco Jones, is making me feel bad, but more on that later.

Nick Chubb is just a physical marvel. Beast.

No telling what his testing would've looked like without the injury. I like my football team with as many Nick Chubbs on it as i can find.

Nick Chubb is just a physical marvel. Beast.

No telling what his testing would've looked like without the injury. I like my football team with as many Nick Chubbs on it as i can find.
He reminds me a bit of Frank Gore- perhaps a tad more explosive, but more in terms of persona. This kid seems serious- a pro's pro sort of speak.

Back
Top Bottom