Pro Days | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Days

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
First off, I wrote another article about 5 Pro Day performances I'm looking forward to...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1090940-nfl-draft-2012-five-pro-days-were-looking-forward-to

Second, I would like to, if we can, have this thread be one where we discuss Pro Day developments.

For instance, the best offensive lineman I saw at Shrine practice, Brandon Brooks of Miami of Ohio had a WHALE of a Pro Day showing. He should have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. He was not. This is a guy that I saw measure up at Shrine practice every bit of 6'5" and 346 lbs, and yet you LOOK at him with pads on and this is not at all a fat player. He carries the weight like Dontari Poe does. I watched him in practice and he was QUICK and AGILE with all that weight, and he looked powerful, too. I wasn't familiar with the guy at all but I was shocked there would be such a diamond in the rough out there. On several practice reps he would actually neutralize two defenders at once at the second level in the briar patch, one with each hand, very powerful punching. At his pro day he ran a 5.00 and 4.98 in the 40 yard dash which is outstanding. He ran a 4.58 in the short shuttle which is again outstanding at nearly 350 lbs. He did a 7.42 three-cone drill, again superb. He did 36 bench reps at 225 lbs, again superb. His 32 inch vertical and 8'9" broad jump at that size...just all the way around there isn't a single result that is not mind boggling.

On the other hand, Orson Charles had his Pro Day today at UGA. I don't know what his other measures were, but I hear he ran a 4.75 and a 4.90 in the 40 yard dash...and that just stinks. He chose not to run in Indianapolis, yet it wasn't an injury issue as he participated in all the field drills. That puts pressure on you to run well at your Pro Day. There were winds of 20 to 30 miles per hour at the Pro Day, so many are excusing it. However, to me the wind would be the reason for the discrepancy between a 4.75 (with the wind) and a 4.90 (against the wind). Either way, this is a disastrous showing for a man that on film looked TINY and had speed as his greatest and only weapon. My guess is he bulked up big time to get up to the 251 lbs he showed at the Combine, with all that strength that let him lift the bar 35 times, but that bulk made him slow. Even so, the bulk only made him 6'2" and 250 lbs which is still small for the position. No amount of bench press prowess is going to give you ballast and strength to be an effective blocker at that position when you're a small guy. This is why Bill Walsh always explained that with offensive linemen, he's not looking for bench numbers, he's looking for what he referred to as bone girth. The bench just shows if you've been diligent about your weight room training.

I hear D.J. Woods the receiver at Cincinnati had a good pro day.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i have been hearing a lot of brooks buzz...sounds to me like he has 2nd round potential

as for orson charles not surprised he ran what he did...he didn't look any faster to me in drills at the combine than dwayne allen did and he looked much rawer and showed off a pair of what i would coin somewhat suspect hands...not to mention he came in at just 6 ft 2 and a half...i think his stocks plummeting into the 4th round range personally...i wouldn't use a top 3 round pick on him...

coby fleener better run and test well or no ones sniffing the 1st round at te...

as for orson charles not surprised he ran what he did...he didn't look any faster to me in drills at the combine than dwayne allen did and he looked much rawer and showed off a pair of what i would coin somewhat suspect hands...not to mention he came in at just 6 ft 2 and a half...i think his stocks plummeting into the 4th round range personally...i wouldn't use a top 3 round pick on him...

Fully agree. Wish I could say I didn't see it coming, but I did.

coby fleener better run and test well or no ones sniffing the 1st round at te...

Coby Fleener's blundering into #1 TE status just by doing nothing.

But he'll run headlong into it when he does work out. I think he's far and away (not even close) the #1 TE in this class and he deserves 1st round status.

i wish fleener showed a bit more toughness...there's some softness to his game down the field that i don't like...i think he's more a aaron hernandez toughness and physical contact player down the field than i'd prefer despite that great size...i also wish he would use his body more and hands to create separation...guys can separate him from the ball on some things i think he should outmuscle them on

Yeah but at the very worst that makes him another Dennis Pitta with an ass ton more speed, athleticism and frame. Better than Jermaine Gresham, who went in the 1st.

Yeah but at the very worst that makes him another Dennis Pitta with an ass ton more speed, athleticism and frame. Better than Jermaine Gresham, who went in the 1st.

that's true...i think he'd be a perfect fit in new york with the giants at pick #32...they're a mismatch vertical te away from being rediculous on o

Here's a sleeper TE from Cincy:

Adrien Robinson (6-4, 264 pounds) was not invited to the combine, so the tight end had to prove his NFL worth at Cincinnati’s pro day. Robinson — a first-year starter in 2011 — worked out impressively in the position drills. In workouts, Robinson clocked 4.56 and 4.55 40-yard dash times. In the jumps, Robinson excelled, going for 39.5 inches in the vertical jump and an 11-foot, 3-inch broad jump (each would have been tops among tight ends at the combine). Robinson ran 4.40 in the short shuttle and a 7.01-second cone drill, and did 15 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Might just be a workout warrior. Only 12 receptions for 183 yards and 3 TDs this past season. Did have a long of 72 yards. Only game where he caught more than one pass was Vanderbilt in the bowl game, 4 receptions for 16 yards. Productions doesn't match athleticism...might be a guy you pick up as an undrafted free agent and see if you can groom him into something.

that's true...i think he'd be a perfect fit in new york with the giants at pick #32...they're a mismatch vertical te away from being rediculous on o
Giants have to get a TE in this draft or free agency. Pretty sure Ballard screwed his knee up pretty good in the super bowl and he won't be ready till mid season at best.

To me, I wonder about the Pittsburgh Steelers. Heath Miller has become more of a blocker now, doesn't really challenge a defense athletically. They may lose Mike Wallace and if that's the case they COULD replace by trying to force a 1st round pick at the Wide Receiver position...but they could also take a more dynamic, Patriots-like view of the situation and take advantage of the resources available to them, and take Fleener as a weapon that helps replace Mike Wallace.

Giants have to get a TE in this draft or free agency. Pretty sure Ballard screwed his knee up pretty good in the super bowl and he won't be ready till mid season at best.

ballard was a slug anyways...the other te they have from wisconsin i think tore his knee up also...even if they both were healthy i'd still think that fleener makes a ton of sense for them...a ton of sense

Here's a sleeper TE from Cincy:

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Might just be a workout warrior. Only 12 receptions for 183 yards and 3 TDs this past season. Did have a long of 72 yards. Only game where he caught more than one pass was Vanderbilt in the bowl game, 4 receptions for 16 yards. Productions doesn't match athleticism...might be a guy you pick up as an undrafted free agent and see if you can groom him into something.

That's a real sleeper. I'm definitely going to have to watch some Cincinnati games and try and get a handle on him. That kind of athleticism is eye-popping. Strictly speaking, the stats don't rule anything out for me...not at that position. It's a position that is victimized by the styles that teams in the NCAA are playing on offense, and when you have a virtual option quarterback like Zack Collaros...your top level guys might end up a little under-utilized. Cincinnati has a history of recruiting some pretty good football players at Tight End...between Brett Celek and Connor Barwin, who was a TE before being moved to DE.

To me, I wonder about the Pittsburgh Steelers. Heath Miller has become more of a blocker now, doesn't really challenge a defense athletically. They may lose Mike Wallace and if that's the case they COULD replace by trying to force a 1st round pick at the Wide Receiver position...but they could also take a more dynamic, Patriots-like view of the situation and take advantage of the resources available to them, and take Fleener as a weapon that helps replace Mike Wallace.

yeah they lose wallace and i think that makes a ton of sense...but maybe a stephen hill replacement does also...i'm sure whatever they end up doing it will come out gold...just seems to work that way for them

frankly unless wallace is a bad seed i'm gonna be surprised if they don't match up to a 5 year and $40 mil deal on him...pretty surprised...and you know berger wants him back given what he brings to the table...dbs can bail from jump and 10 yards off even and still get beaten over the top by that guy...its crazy

ballard was a slug anyways...the other te they have from wisconsin i think tore his knee up also...even if they both were healthy i'd still think that fleener makes a ton of sense for them...a ton of sense
Ballard was a slug but he still averaged over 15 yards per receptions, not bad for a dude that weighs 275 lbs that you figure would be more of an inline blocker than a receiver. Not as good as Boss was in that offense but still somewhat effective.

This is a pretty crappy TE class so if TE is a need for the Giants they should take someone at #32, they may all be on the board still when Giants are on the clock.

there's some talk that san fran is preparing a heavy offer for mike wallace in that 5 year $40 mil range...

i think ballard did most his damage cause the defense never paid any attention to him...

there's some talk that san fran is preparing a heavy offer for mike wallace in that 5 year $40 mil range...

i think ballard did most his damage cause the defense never paid any attention to him...

When you have Hakeem Nicks on one side and Cruz on the other...you get forgotten, lol.

Back
Top Bottom