Pro Days | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Days

When you have Hakeem Nicks on one side and Cruz on the other...you get forgotten, lol.

indeed...if stevie johnson can get $36 mil over 5 years and $19 mil guaranteed despite all his quirkiness and stuff that can rub a front office the wrong way no doubt in my mind mike wallace is worth 5 years and $40 mil

On the other hand, Orson Charles had his Pro Day today at UGA. I don't know what his other measures were, but I hear he ran a 4.75 and a 4.90 in the 40 yard dash...and that just stinks. He chose not to run in Indianapolis, yet it wasn't an injury issue as he participated in all the field drills. That puts pressure on you to run well at your Pro Day. There were winds of 20 to 30 miles per hour at the Pro Day, so many are excusing it. However, to me the wind would be the reason for the discrepancy between a 4.75 (with the wind) and a 4.90 (against the wind). Either way, this is a disastrous showing for a man that on film looked TINY and had speed as his greatest and only weapon. My guess is he bulked up big time to get up to the 251 lbs he showed at the Combine, with all that strength that let him lift the bar 35 times, but that bulk made him slow. Even so, the bulk only made him 6'2" and 250 lbs which is still small for the position. No amount of bench press prowess is going to give you ballast and strength to be an effective blocker at that position when you're a small guy. This is why Bill Walsh always explained that with offensive linemen, he's not looking for bench numbers, he's looking for what he referred to as bone girth. The bench just shows if you've been diligent about your weight room training.
According to UGA, 46 scouts and coaches showed up. Among them was Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith.

Most of them wanted to get a look at tight end Orson Charles. Or, more specifically, they wanted to see how Charles did running the 40-yard dash. Charles didn’t run the 40 at the NFL combine in Indianapolis the week before last because he said he simply “wasn’t ready.”

Apparently, Charles still wasn’t ready on Monday because he his “official” time was 4.75. AJC colleague Darryl Ledbetter was there and clocked Charles once with an unofficial 4.67 seconds. In any case, Charles was unhappy with the time — he said he routinely has run in the 4.5s — but was undeterred by it.

“That’s definitely something I wish I could take back and run again,” Charles told reporters. “I’m hoping that some guy calls me and says let’s run the 40 again because I’ll definitely show them.

Charles' other numbers.
http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blo...uts-at-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog
  • Vertical: 30.5
  • Long jump: 9.5
  • 40-yard time: 4.75
  • Shuttle time: 4.75
  • 3-cone drill time: 4.29

First off, I wrote another article about 5 Pro Day performances I'm looking forward to...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1090940-nfl-draft-2012-five-pro-days-were-looking-forward-to

Second, I would like to, if we can, have this thread be one where we discuss Pro Day developments.

For instance, the best offensive lineman I saw at Shrine practice, Brandon Brooks of Miami of Ohio had a WHALE of a Pro Day showing. He should have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. He was not. This is a guy that I saw measure up at Shrine practice every bit of 6'5" and 346 lbs, and yet you LOOK at him with pads on and this is not at all a fat player. He carries the weight like Dontari Poe does. I watched him in practice and he was QUICK and AGILE with all that weight, and he looked powerful, too. I wasn't familiar with the guy at all but I was shocked there would be such a diamond in the rough out there. On several practice reps he would actually neutralize two defenders at once at the second level in the briar patch, one with each hand, very powerful punching. At his pro day he ran a 5.00 and 4.98 in the 40 yard dash which is outstanding. He ran a 4.58 in the short shuttle which is again outstanding at nearly 350 lbs. He did a 7.42 three-cone drill, again superb. He did 36 bench reps at 225 lbs, again superb. His 32 inch vertical and 8'9" broad jump at that size...just all the way around there isn't a single result that is not mind boggling.
Just to add what you wrote here. Brooks 40 time included a 10 yard split of 1.71 seconds.

I hear D.J. Woods the receiver at Cincinnati had a good pro day.
As for Woods' Pro Day
Receiver D.J. Woods turned some heads with an exceptional showing. The 6-foot, 180-pound pass-catcher posted a 37-inch vertical jump, then ran a pair of 40s in the low 4.4-second range (4.42 fastest). During drills Woods ran crisp, detailed routes and caught the ball well. Coaches on hand asked the swift wideout to run nearly a dozen NFL routes and came away impressed with his ability.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html

The Steelers signed Weslye Saunders last year and stashed him on their practice squad.

Charles' other numbers.
http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blo...uts-at-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog
  • Vertical: 30.5
  • Long jump: 9.5
  • 40-yard time: 4.75
  • Shuttle time: 4.75
  • 3-cone drill time: 4.29

The thing to note about the "official" time here is I do not believe they use the same practices at pro days to come up with the "official" times as they do at the Combine. The Combine goes back and takes a look at the video to determine when they should have a guy start, and the priority list of movement they have set up as far as rules of what constitutes a "start" is what creates all these whacky official times that are way slower than the unofficial times. One guy had Chares at a 4.67...others had him a 4.75 and 4.90. The fact that there was a big discrepancy between the two times points to me to him running with the wind on the 4.75 and against the wind on the 4.90. That's BAD.

That 4.75 on the 20 yard shuttle is also BAD. Terrible. His 30.5 inch vertical at his size, bad. He's not going to be able to paint himself like a Dustin Keller if he can't jump like Dustin Keller. The only TE at the Combine who jumped worse was Cory Harkey and he in my opinion isn't even really a TE prospect but should be considered an OL conversion UDFA project. Again the only TE with a worse Cone Drill (I assume he meant 7.29) was Cory Harkey. Even Harkey did better than 4.75 shuttle drill.

Awful, awful Pro Day for Orson Charles.

Keeps getting worse for Orson Charles. As I suspected the disparity between the 4.75 he ran and the 4.90 was because the 4.75 was with the 20-30 mph winds at his back. The 4.90 was running against the wind. Everyone talking about how you need to toss out the 40's because of the wind, keep that in mind. Even aided by those winds which made it impossible at times to throw the football (reportedly), he only ran a 4.75.

The lack of athleticism is disturbing but the implications are more disturbing. He made his decision to go pro very last minute, 11th hour. He showed a lax attitude at the Combine, couldn't follow directions several times, like he wasn't taking things seriously. He came in a jacked up, muscle-bound 251 lbs on that 6024 frame of his, which is way bigger than he was in college, and of course he was able to do 35 reps on the bench. But his decision to get so rocked up clearly had a negative effect on his athleticism. Just all the way around the guy is showing a questionable attitude and pattern of decision making.

If you're going to be small, among the smallest tight ends in pro football, you'd better be fast and athletic like Dustin Keller. He wasn't the college football player that D.J. Williams was, and Williams went in the 5th round at the same size with better athleticism.

Adrien Robinson is an interesting prospect. He doesn't have the production, but when the ball is thrown to him it's usually for a substantial gain. He plays both in-line and as an H-back. He needs a lot of refinement in the blocking aspect. You can teach him how to block if he's willing to learn. Worth a look as a developmental player... there's some tools there. Smooth athlete and can adjust to the football.... he's got some fluidity in his hips. Not stiff. He has the ability to threaten the seem and runs a lot of vertical seem routes when he's playing in-line from a 3-point stance. They split him out at WR in some of their 3X1 bunch sets.

A guy to watch out for in a few days would be Northwester WR Jeremy Ebert. He popped out at me while I was trying to look at tape of Drake Dunsmore.

At 5'11" and 195 lbs he should run into the low 4.4's if not lower. He led the Big Ten in receiving yardage per game in 2010 and was 2nd team All Big Ten in 2011. He had 564 yards and 6 TDs on 47 catches against the meat of his Big Ten schedule, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska and Michigan State in 2011. His 6 catch for 147 yard and 1 TD performance against Nebraska was a big reason the unranked Northwestern was able to beat the #10 ranked Cornhuskers even though Dan Persa left the game in the first half injured.

When you watch him you really have to admire how everything he does is at full speed. He speeds into everything and that's really good for a lot of rhythm and timing offenses that count on you to be a certain place at a certain time. He's not sudden like a Devon Wylie, so he may have trouble with tight and physical man coverage. He doesn't run after the catch with creativity, but he does run after the catch with tremendous speed and gearing. He puts on a 5th gear and then leaves the defense in the dust. The thing he does the absolute best, and it's really something to behold, is track the ball in the air and adjust on it at full speed with zero problems, putting himself in position to make the catch with soft hands. It's uncanny. You THINK he's covered, you really do. But he's not, because he's the only one really playing the ball in the air and he quickly adjusts his running and his body to get under it. This is ultimately why he may beat man coverage in the NFL, because with his speed he could get his man coverage turned and once that happens, the quarterback can just lay the ball out there, anywhere really, and Jeremy Ebert will be the only guy playing the ball in the air. That ability makes him dangerous against man, and the ability to speed into the holes in the zones makes him a natural player running routes against the zone. Because he has the ability to be dangerous against both styles, that's why I think he's an interesting late round target, especially if the Dolphins lose out and don't get hold of a Devon Wylie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7lUa0u_aVY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML623rryw8A&feature=related

To be honest, I'm surprised the Giants don't try Ramses Barden at TE, although he can't seem to stay healthy either.

Greg Childs is still one of the most underrated receivers in this draft in my opinion. I love the way this kid plays the position, always have. I like the way he accelerates through his breaks and attacks the football in the air... he doesn't wait for it.

He nailed his pro day.... running a 4.41, while some scouts even had him in the high 4.3's on their watches. Also had a 40.5" vertical.

Childs improved both of those marks from the combine. He wasn't healthy all season and still hasn't recovered fully from tearing his knee up last year. Despite still not being 100% healthy, he tested well at the combine.

He's one of the top 3 WR's in this draft that are at least 6'3" on my board. I think he's going to start in the NFL at the X position, and produce once his knee is fully healthy.

childs has grown on me a little bit but not enough to use a top 4 round pick on him...

I'll take him in the first 75 picks and not think twice about it. Hell I would've taken him in the first 4 rounds back in November when I was watching him hobble up and down the field for the Razorbacks.

Back
Top Bottom