Pro Days | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Days

how bout menzie slimm at safety...i don't like him at all at cb but i saw mayock has him as his 4th rated safety i believe...is he physical enough to man the position and whats the thoughts on him at free???

i just don't see it...

bout time brandon taylor got some love from mayock as his 3rd rated safety...i like taylor...i don't think he's gonna be special but i think he's a solid heady player

bout time brandon taylor got some love from mayock as his 3rd rated safety...i like taylor...i don't think he's gonna be special but i think he's a solid heady player
I like Taylor as well. He is pushing up some boards, but I still think he could go in the middle somewhere. I think he could probably come in and start relatively quickly. Im also still all for giving Janzen Jackson a very long look...all the talent in the world there its just a matter of if he can handle it mentally

Woof. Justin Blackmon a 4.48 in the 40 with a 35 inch vertical and 10'4" broad jump. Those marks are PLENTY good enough to keep him atop this WR draft class. Tony Pauline says a fastest of 4.45 with some higher in the 4.4's. One other guy said that some people around him even had numbers that broke into the 4.3's. Justin just made some money.

Justin Blackmon's second run just came in the 4.39 to 4.45 range depending on whose stopwatch.

what he weigh in at??? less than 209??? anyways lets say he plays at 220 i'm guessing they would say his playin weight lends itself to a mid 4.5 guy which is plenty good enough for his game...

this is also why i don't believe washington is gonna win the trade out with st louis...if the rams move to #6 they are putting themselves in a dicey position on either blackmon or claiborne getting to them...if they trade out to #4 however they look to have their choice of one or the other and i think blackmon wins out if their both on the board either way...but at #6 you are allowing someone to steal your cookies in front of you...if i'm the rams and i'm trading this pick the browns are who i'm doing it with...and its why in the end i think it will in fact be the browns

how bout menzie slimm at safety...i don't like him at all at cb but i saw mayock has him as his 4th rated safety i believe...is he physical enough to man the position and whats the thoughts on him at free???

i just don't see it...

Well it's going to be awful difficult for any CB to play in the NFL with 4.6 speed.... high 4.5's on a good day. Menzie is typically the guy that we rotated the safety (Lester) over the top in base defense, or any situation in which we blitzed and were no longer playing zone on the perimeter.... which is why Menzie never got beat. He moved inside to the slot in nickel packages and Milliner took his place on the outside.

Great tackler and is good in zone coverage. Physicality and tackling isn't the issue.

The question would be his ability to pick up a system and essentially be the QB of a secondary if you move him to safety. Along with whether or not he has the range. Nobody knows if he does or not until you see him play safety. I think it's a projection by Mayock. Menzie has been a good player at CB for Bama since he came out of JUCO, but he's not one of the top 5 best safeties in this draft in my opinion. He's never played safety.

I think Mayock sees the stiffness in Menzie's hips and his lack of "speed", coupled with his outstanding physicality and tackling prowess and projects him as a safety.

Lots of really good stuff here.

Jeremy Ebert is a guy I tabbed while watching film of Drake Dunsmore. Funny how that works out but I just couldn't help but notice this guy #11 that looks so fast and agile, like such a play maker, and I think he plays a little bigger than he's listed. I got to watching and researching him more and he was actually a very high production player, leading the Big Ten in receiver production in 2010. He had a good 2011, too. He's so fast, he stays in high gear in everything he does. What that means is sometimes he doesn't run the most sudden routes and cuts, but the speed helps him be where he needs to be when he needs to be there which is good against zones in a rhythm/timing attack. In man he's fast enough to get the DBs pressing and then when the ball is in the air HE OWNS IT. It's his. His adjustment on the ball in the air is right up there with guys I've tabbed for that like Justin Blackmon and Devon Wylie. It might be better. It's at uncanny levels, like he's the only one playing the ball while everyone else is busy slapping their dicks around. The key is he does all this at high speed, which is why none of the guys in coverage with him are able to play the ball, they're all pressing. I've seen so many passes go right into a crowd full of defenders and it didn't matter because the defenders are all focused on Ebert and Ebert is focused on the ball. Anyway, he ran a 4.38 and that shows the speed I'm talking about.

Michael Smith is actually a guy that caught my eye at Utah State more than Robert Turbin who was the headliner. Turbin to me is more of a Marion Barber, but more like a post-2007 Marion Barber. Turbin had a pretty decent Combine so maybe I'm not being fair on him but that's what I saw. Smith more compact, a better cutter, faster, more explosive...I just saw more NFL potential in him.

Chase Ford running a 4.76 with a 33 inch vertical is a good result for him. The key is the guy is 6063 and 258 lbs. That's plenty of athlete for that frame and he DOMINATED at Shrine practice and even in the game. This is a guy that wasn't very productive but when I went back and watched the film I thought Miami just did a piss poor job of using him.

Dont'a Hightower's ABYSMAL showing in the shuttle and cone drills (4.68 and 7.55) show you why I have not liked him as a prospect. SLUGGISH is the word. He has speed but it's purely BUILD-UP speed, which he showed at the Combine by running a 4.68 at 6'2" and 265 lbs. As Simon put it, in one of our initial Draft Winds pieces, he turns like a paddle steamer. I've always had him tabbed as more of a defensive end prospect than a true linebacker...but as a defensive end you wouldn't draft him before the 4th round or so. I wouldn't draft him before then as a linebacker, either.

Also 1 wr im interested in from Miami is Travis Benjamin.Not saying to go draft him but i think he would help out on ST's like punt and kick returns.Hes got speed and thats an obvious need that Miamis O lacks.

Also 1 wr im interested in from Miami is Travis Benjamin.Not saying to go draft him but i think he would help out on ST's like punt and kick returns.Hes got speed and thats an obvious need that Miamis O lacks.
You must have not watched many Miami games. Benjamin is a liability in the return game. He fumbles a lot and misplays punts often and he doesn't bring enough big plays as a return guy to warrant the risk.

You must have not watched many Miami games. Benjamin is a liability in the return game. He fumbles a lot and misplays punts often and he doesn't bring enough big plays as a return guy to warrant the risk.

Well in my original post i would like to put "could" instead of "would".As a Canes fan from Central NY i dont get to see every single game but ive watched alot of games.I dont recall him having alot of fumbles and misplays on punts as u would say but i could be wrong.

Theres 0 risk involved in a guy being brought in as a UDFA.

Cal's pro day

safety D.J. Campbell posted a solid all-around performance with 22 bench press reps that would have tied for first among safeties at the combine, while he ran a quick 4.51 40-yard dash and had leaps of 38-inches in the vertical and 10-7 in the BJ, each of which would have been among the leaders at the position at the combine. The most surprising reslts at the Cal pro day, though, may have been recorded by WR Michael Calvin, who only caught 20 passes this fall, but made the all-workout team when the 6-2, 215-pounder ran in the 4.35 area for the forty in windy, rainy conditions, while posting leaps of 40.5 inches in the vertical and 11-1 in the BJ.

Arizona State's pro day

Not so nice a day for MLB Vontaze Burfict who followed up a dismal combine, which included a pedestrian (with a 400-pound gorilla on its back) 40 clocking of 5.09, with a dismal pro day effort in which he managed only 16 reps in the BP and looked slow in positional drills.

Oregon State's pro day

CB Brandon Hardin, who was not at the combine, put on an athletic show; a big corner who could also project to safety in the pros, ran in the low-to-mid 4.4 range for the 40, while posting 24 reps, more than any DB at the combine, in the BP. At the same time, FB/HBJoe Halahuni weighed in at a slimmed down 240 pounds, ran the 40 in under 4.80 seconds, and had a very quick time of 6.70 seconds in the 3-cone.

Back
Top Bottom