QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

I'm actually about 90% done with a write-up on Yates in the same style as the Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallett write-ups.

I think the reason he gets ignored is the same reason Jason Campbell was ignored and became sort of a late riser up the Draft boards. For so long, the guy didn't 'get it' and you are pretty sure you knew what he was. Then he puts together this one year and you're sure it has to be a farse, you're sure it can't be that he really just needed time to develop and now he gets it. The media (and to some extent the scouts) just need time to get used to the idea that what they thought about a guy for a long time...might have been wrong. In Campbell's case, people satisfied themselves with the easy excuse that his final year was the first time he'd had the same offense and offensive coordinator from one year to the next. That's an understandable explanation and people want an understandable world. But sometimes the light just clicks on. Look at Campbell today, he still has his doubters...for some good reasons and some bad...but all he does is put together QB ratings in the mid-80's and produce offense. The Raiders have scored an average of 27+ points in games where he took most of the snaps. And yet they still want to play Bruce Gradkowski ahead of him.

It's funny I re-visited my initial notes on T.J. Yates. The name "Peyton Manning" popped up in at least four notes. I hadn't done that much background on the guy yet though and so I just did so because of the write-up I'm working on. Sure enough, grew up around Indianapolis, favorite team is the Colts, follows them very closely to this day. Definition of 'not a coincidence'. Wouldn't be surprised if he's been to Camp Manning.

Jason Campbell's Senior year was actually his first season under Al Borges....

Borges came in and turned Campbell into a 1st round pick in one year.... Campbell is like a sponge, he absorbs information quickly and is able to process it. That's what you have to be able to do in order to play the quarterback position in the NFL.

I absolutely loved Jason Campbell as a QB prospect coming out of Auburn. A lot of guys are just "throwers" of the football, but some guys are actually natural "passers" of the football... there's a difference....

Jason Campbell was always a natural passer of the football.

The problem he ran into in the NFL was he never had the same offensive coordinator from year to the next in the NFL... and his career suffered because of it. It's easy for people to rip on Jason Campbell NOW, but I know for a fact he's one of the most natural and smooth quarterback prospects that have come out in the past 10 years.

If you don't even have a Jason Campbell at QB...suddenly...Jason Campbell looks pretty good.

i wouldn't be too comfortable going to my owner and pounding my fist on the table about a qb prospect that we got to take on draft day if i was tossing out "he's the next jason campbell"

We can get a good look at him tonight and Ricky Stanzi...they play each other at 10 PM. Set your DVR hoops.

i wouldn't be too comfortable going to my owner and pounding my fist on the table about a qb prospect that we got to take on draft day if i was tossing out "he's the next jason campbell"

I think his point is referrencing Jason Campbell as a prospect. Like I said, it's easy to rip on Jason Campbell now, I think he had 4 or 5 different OC's his first 5 years in the league.

Either way, if you weren't studying draft prospects in 2004 when Jason Campbell came out, you wouldn't understand.

That kid was a GREAT quarterback prospect, and Washington ruined him. He picked up and mastered a WCO in college, in ONE season. Al Borges' offense is one of most complicated to run you'll see at the college level.

Jason Campbell was a natural PASSER of the football... the way Carson Palmer was. Carson Palmer was nothing but an extremely talented, underachieving quarterback at USC his entire career until he got with Norm Chow as a Senior.... it was the same thing with Campbell.

I think his point is referrencing Jason Campbell as a prospect. Like I said, it's easy to rip on Jason Campbell now, I think he had 4 or 5 different OC's his first 5 years in the league.

Either way, if you weren't studying draft prospects in 2004 when Jason Campbell came out, you wouldn't understand.

That kid was a GREAT quarterback prospect, and Washington ruined him. He picked up and mastered a WCO in college, in ONE season. Al Borges' offense is one of most complicated to run you'll see at the college level.

Jason Campbell was a natural PASSER of the football... the way Carson Palmer was. Carson Palmer was nothing but an extremely talented, underachieving quarterback at USC his entire career until he got with Norm Chow as a Senior.... it was the same thing with Campbell.

agreed

Speaking of Al Borges did you see San Diego St play the other night? First time I saw them play this year and I was impressed with their QB. Good size, strong arm, read the defense well, good ball location and anticipation. He's only a Junior and I doubt he comes out but seems like a good prospect for 2012.

Speaking of Al Borges did you see San Diego St play the other night? First time I saw them play this year and I was impressed with their QB. Good size, strong arm, read the defense well, good ball location and anticipation. He's only a Junior and I doubt he comes out but seems like a good prospect for 2012.

Ryan Lindley, Austin Davis, Kirk Cousins, and Ryan Tannehill are a few of next year's Senior quarterbacks that I'll be interested in. I don't necessarily view any of them as "franchise" caliber or elite prospects, but I like all of these kids as prospects.

Vincent Brown is the main guy I focus on this year for SDSU... he's the truth.

Jason Campbell's Senior year was actually his first season under Al Borges....

Borges came in and turned Campbell into a 1st round pick in one year.... Campbell is like a sponge, he absorbs information quickly and is able to process it. That's what you have to be able to do in order to play the quarterback position in the NFL.

I absolutely loved Jason Campbell as a QB prospect coming out of Auburn. A lot of guys are just "throwers" of the football, but some guys are actually natural "passers" of the football... there's a difference....

Jason Campbell was always a natural passer of the football.

The problem he ran into in the NFL was he never had the same offensive coordinator from year to the next in the NFL... and his career suffered because of it. It's easy for people to rip on Jason Campbell NOW, but I know for a fact he's one of the most natural and smooth quarterback prospects that have come out in the past 10 years.

You know what, you're right. Now I remember it better, the big deal was that Campbell never made good on his promise because he had four different offensive coordinators in his four years at Auburn. Things clicked in Borges' Gulf Coast attack.

Point being, it took quite some time for people to get on board with the idea of Jason Campbell being an actual premium QB prospect, because as recently as 2003, Campbell was just a disappointment...and nobody wanted to believe that Campbell just finally came around.

Carson Palmer was absolutely a disappointment until late in his college career.

Yeah but the same logic applies in the other direction.... If I wouldn't take a guy #1 overall in the draft, why would I take him #2 overall?

Or, If I wouldn't take a guy in the 1st round, why would I take him in the 2nd round? Etc...

You can get lofty with grades, but you can't really use that logic as a baseline, or you'll just end up throwing good players that can develope in the trash, or reaching for a guy too early just because you had a draftable grade on him.

If you have a 4th round grade on a guy, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 4th round is the earliest you would take him, obviously if you like the guy, you'd take him in the 3rd round if you don't feel like he'll be there in the 4th round.

I think this applies much more so to quarterbacks than any other position.... I remember the Patriots talking about how they had a 4th round grade on Tom Brady, but they kept passing him up because they already a franchise quarterback in Bledsoe, and had so many other needs they had to address...

When Brady was still on the board in the 6th round, they were finally like "screw this we're taking him", because at that point he was simply too much value to pass up again...

Did the Patriots get "lucky" with Tom Brady? Absolutely... but it's strange how you can make your own luck... funny how the draft works.

Everyone works differently and there really isn't one way to skin the cat. I'm one of those that has a lot more success taking the players that I feel like I know well and have a vision for his success, be it big success or small, at the next level...and separating them from the players that for whatever reason I can't get a beat on. My personal draft board ends up about a third of the size of the actual draft pool. You alluded to it, but I think about the round valuations of my players pretty dynamically, I feel like a guy is probably a lower round pick but when faced with a situation of need and having intel that I might not get him next round, sure I would take him early.

But I sure as heck don't end up with 7 tiers of draft prospects, and I feel like when I start to say this guy is a 5th round guy but not a 4th round guy, I'm splitting hairs unnecessarily and working against myself.

In the end it's like someone's office desk. Another person can walk into your office and see an unworkable mess. You walk in and see everything you need right where you need it, in the order you want it.

Hell that's how I see my own desk at work... much less anybody elses...

To CK, Hoops and Slimm,

on behalf of all moronic Dolphin fans that work 50+ hour weeks and have families - thank you very much for your insight into the '11 draft. i do not have time to read all the other cookie cutter analysis on other sites. please keep up the good work for the next 120+ days until the draft.
cheers

Thanks.

Couple things so far in this game. For one thing look at the speed of Gabbert's footwork and drops, he knows he's playing for scouts tonight. He's giving extra.

Another thing, you're seeing a lot of the stuff I've been talking about. Bad deep vertical accuracy. But, good accuracy short and intermediate. He can avoid disaster when things go wrong, as they did on that fumbled exchange with Moe. You're also seeing some of the aspects of the offense that hold him back a little. No deep speed, bad shotgun snaps, constant tinkering with Wildcat type plays that don't work...

Thanks.

Couple things so far in this game. For one thing look at the speed of Gabbert's footwork and drops, he knows he's playing for scouts tonight. He's giving extra.

Another thing, you're seeing a lot of the stuff I've been talking about. Bad deep vertical accuracy. But, good accuracy short and intermediate. He can avoid disaster when things go wrong, as they did on that fumbled exchange with Moe. You're also seeing some of the aspects of the offense that hold him back a little. No deep speed, bad shotgun snaps, constant tinkering with Wildcat type plays that don't work...

Ck, so far i'm more impressed with stanzi, this guy is suppose to be the second best qb in the draft? seriously? Wow i've seen average arm strength, questionable ball placement, pre-read throws, his size doesn't even seem that impressive. He had a QB draw down by the goal line area and seemed to trip before he even got to the LOS, can you say john avery or tedd ginn.
However,he does seem calm but somewhat mechanical in his motion. i havent noticed much progression in his throws were he looks seems to be where he throws. I'll keep watching but so-far nothing about the guy stands-out to me.

Back
Top Bottom