QB Development | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Development

Big NO, nepotism is never a good thing, it never allows you to get the best person for the job, there are much better QB coaches that can help Tannehill succeed in the NFL then Zach Taylor.

The potential is there, Miami needs to find someone better to coach him up faster to reach that ceiling most of us see Tannehill having.

People have been asking all year, why does Tannehill not move around, it's very obvious that he was told by Sherman in the beginning of the year, he had to stay in the pocket, and not run even if he saw a huge gain to be made. Now he is being allowed to move around, and Sacking Tannehill has become much tougher.

If Tannehill had gotten hurt due to all those shots he took, it would have been on Sherman for not allowing Tannehill to move around.

Nepotism is just fine if the product is good. The problem here is the product is undetermined yet. It's clear that RT has skill and potential. I don't think the current QB coach is a good one, and should be replaced. Sherman at OC is alright, but I'm not happy with the play calling. I'm sure one could argue the O line problems have contributed to that, but you need to call a play to get 10 yards when you need to go 8, not the other way around.

Having Zac Taylor based on no former QB coaching experience and 2 yrs QB'ing at Nebraska developing this raw, formative and impressionable asset is IMO little better than having Stevie Wonder (after reading a How-To book in Braille) as your Archery coach :idk: So if it's no to Taylor, then it's a negatory to Sherman also for putting his family before the best interests of the team. Double Ixnay!

I hesitate to simply put everything at the feet of Mike Sherman. Friends I know who are fans of Green Bay and aTm warned me as soon as we hired him. They have pretty much been dead on in their predictions of what I would complain about. But at the same time, I realize that the offensive coordinator still must work with the personnel he has been given, and I do not think the offensive unit is good overall.

Now, I do absolutely believe he needs a QB coach with a good track record and real experience. I do not understand why you would pick a 'raw' quarterback #8 overall, knowing that he needs real development, and then bring in a young guy with no track record of coaching QBs to try to work with him.

HOWEVER, Ryan Tannehill is showing growth and improvement in his game. We don't know whether he is showing that growth and improvement as a result of his own talent and ability to learn on the job, or as a result of good coaching. We don't know if he could be improving faster with better coaching or if he just needs time to work at it. In other words, I got no clue.

Personally, and as much as it sucks to say it, I think he just needs time. In order to master any skill, it just takes time. In high school, he was in a very run heavy offense in which he didn't throw the ball much, and when he did it was often bootleg type of stuff. In college, he spent two years playing receiver. Unlike Andrew Luck, he didn't have the benefit of being coached from the time he was in grade school by an NFL quarterback. The big question here is how much time this team is willing to give him. I think he at least gets year three.

He needs a new offensive mind to help bring out his full potential. Sherman is too stingy and stuck in his ways. We need some ingenuity.

I do not understand why you would pick a 'raw' quarterback #8 overall, knowing that he needs real development, and then bring in a young guy with no track record of coaching QBs to try to work with him.

This to me is so crucial. Ultimately it will be down to RT on delivering on his development, however, I do believe he would be further along with a more experienced coach.

I've said it on other threads, the biggest things I see right now are
1. needs to seriously work on his footwork, it's just not good enough at this level
2. needs to be more aware of defences and his route progressions - know where to go with the ball and... 'quicker' - development of his footwork will help with this.
3. and this is one I haven't mentioned before, but I would like to see him get more rotation in his throwing motion, at times he can appear to push the ball rather than really deliver it.
4. I'd like to see a greater sense of urgency not only in taking off and running but also in passing [see point 2], sometimes he's too static and slow - he made some good and timely choices to take off and run yesterday

I think we've been spoilt with the likes of Luck etc. in recent years and how quickly they have developed. With how RT is going now, is probably more reminiscent of typical QB development from years ago.

He's doing a decent to good job with what he has to work with certain key stats being up slightly over last year like TD's and Completion % but I would have liked to have seen a greater reduction in interceptions - this is where strong coaching can help, with either fundamentals/reading defences/knowing where to go with the ball, but also helping with game planning and play calling and putting him in good spots.

With a better OL I would expect a whole lot more from him - can he deliver? that's the ultimate question.

If QB is the most important position in the game, how do you not get the best position coach with NFL expirence? The offensive coordinators son in law doesn't work for me.
Mike Sherman won a Super Bowl with Brett Farve...i am reminded of Gary Steven chicken salad line.....We need players we have some talent but we need more. If Philbin stays let him tweak his staff but the GM must go.

I think the coaches have done a great job with him and he is doing well. He needs better weapons.

He still needs to do a better job with protections, blitzes, sliding in pocket, zone reads--that takes experience.

I think the coaches have done a great job with him and he is doing well. He needs better weapons.

He still needs to do a better job with protections, blitzes, sliding in pocket, zone reads--that takes experience.

or maybe a QB coach with experience,that can say "Hey,Ryan,this is what your doing wrong" not "hey,Ryan,will you friend me on Facebook?"

It may be very RaRa of me to say this considering he really has no experience, but I would love to see Penny given the job of QB Coach.

i think his footwork and the speed of his feet needs work...his athleticism doesn't always show with his footwork and his lateral movements and shuffle in the pocket...

i used to think that losing sherman might set tannehill back in his development but i dont think that anymore...we could be doing more than we are to help the qb...

Changing OC and QB coaches is akin MLB teams having a separate pitching coach at each level, just gotta do it in order to succeed.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom