QB's...then and now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB's...then and now

midwest_phinfan

Starter
Reaction score
Alright, everyone's questioning our FO move in going out and getting Feeley because of all the veteran qb's that have been released or are on the trading block recently. Granted Feeley is a huge gamble but lets compare all the possibilities we have this offseason, starting with the one we made.

1. Trade to get A.J. Feeley: Huge gamble, potential huge gain or wasted 2nd rounder. Appearantly our GM wasn't the only one who had a high opinion of Feeley. Spielman did research on all the available qb's and decided that Feeley was our best option. He pulled the trigger on the trade not wanting to go into the season with the exact same situation at qb as last year. A bit of a reach but at the time we did not know who else would be available later. I use the Vernon Carey draft strategy on this, he might have been available at 20 or maybe not, but it's not a risk he's willing to take so he made the trade and got the man HE wanted.

2. Jeff Garcia. Older mobile qb who has had injury problems the past few seasons. We weren't 100% sure he'd be available when we made the Feeley deal. I'm not convinced he'd perform that much better then Fiedler did in our offense in terms of what his contract was.

3. Tim Couch. Not going to be released, Browns will demand a high draft pick. Granted this guy was the #1 overall pick in the draft a few years back, he had his opportunity in the NFL and hasn't proven his worth YET. He still may have one of these typical "late in their career" qb resurrections, but his pricetag is still high. Had weapons in Cleveland and didn't perform up to expected standards.

4. Kerry Collins. If I personally had a choice I would love to see him in Aqua and orange. But, realistically he is getting older and was hurt last year. No doubt that this guy has the arm to lead an offense, he just needs the time to throw. I'm not sure our oline can do that yet, but I sure would love to find out. This guy is a gunslinger who has thrown for over 4,000 yards in a season before and been to a superbowl. His problem is he is turnover prone with the ints and fumbles. That's my major drawback, given the ball control, low turnover gameplan wanstedt likes to use.

5. Kurt Warner. Seriously people, would you really want this guy? His wife would call into the radio shows in St. Louis and ***** about his playing time, etc. Don't get me wrong, when this guy was on, he was the best in the NFL, but that a few years ago now and he's getting older and more fragile. Remember last year when all the rams people said warner was back to his old form and he would beat out Bulger? Then what happened, he started week one, he was gunshy, hesitant, got himself killed by holding onto the ball too long, and fumbled 5 times.

I guess my point is that no one knew these guys would be available 100% for sure, so to second guess Speilman for not knowing that is foolish. Feeley is a gamble, but compared to what the other options are he's no more of a gamble than anyone else. Plus he's younger than all these other guys so if he does turn out to be good, we have him for longer. I was discouraged when he didn't light it up in mini-camp, but show me a report of any qb in the league that got rave reviews of their mini-camp/qb school performance. I reserve judgement on this trade until at least the 2nd or 3rd game of the pre-season to get a semi-handle on his performance, and that might not even be long enough. These mini-camps are probably when most of these guys start getting serious about the upcoming season in terms of getting in shape, look at Tim Bowens. Relax and give Feeley some time to get to know his teamates and the playbook.

So chill out, drink a budweiser (or any other Anheuser Busch product), dream about this upcoming season and have superbowl thoughts. This should be the best time of the year, no one's hurt, we don't have any losses, and everyone is looking like pro bowlers.

I would of loved it if Miami traded for Patrick Ramsey and Joe Gibbs allowed it. Then, I would of been excited. I just do not know about Feeley to be content.

I'm personally quite pleased we got AJ. I think that next year's second (pick 64) is a steep price, but if he turns out to be a good one it won't be alot.

All of the others mentioned are old except from Couch. I personally think Tim is a gd QB and could still impress.

Overall i'm happy with AJ, all he's gotta do now is beat out Jay.

midwest_phinfan said:
Alright, everyone's questioning our FO move in going out and getting Feeley because of all the veteran qb's that have been released or are on the trading block recently. Granted Feeley is a huge gamble but lets compare all the possibilities we have this offseason, starting with the one we made.

1. Trade to get A.J. Feeley: Huge gamble, potential huge gain or wasted 2nd rounder. Appearantly our GM wasn't the only one who had a high opinion of Feeley. Spielman did research on all the available qb's and decided that Feeley was our best option. He pulled the trigger on the trade not wanting to go into the season with the exact same situation at qb as last year. A bit of a reach but at the time we did not know who else would be available later. I use the Vernon Carey draft strategy on this, he might have been available at 20 or maybe not, but it's not a risk he's willing to take so he made the trade and got the man HE wanted.

2. Jeff Garcia. Older mobile qb who has had injury problems the past few seasons. We weren't 100% sure he'd be available when we made the Feeley deal. I'm not convinced he'd perform that much better then Fiedler did in our offense in terms of what his contract was.

3. Tim Couch. Not going to be released, Browns will demand a high draft pick. Granted this guy was the #1 overall pick in the draft a few years back, he had his opportunity in the NFL and hasn't proven his worth YET. He still may have one of these typical "late in their career" qb resurrections, but his pricetag is still high. Had weapons in Cleveland and didn't perform up to expected standards.

4. Kerry Collins. If I personally had a choice I would love to see him in Aqua and orange. But, realistically he is getting older and was hurt last year. No doubt that this guy has the arm to lead an offense, he just needs the time to throw. I'm not sure our oline can do that yet, but I sure would love to find out. This guy is a gunslinger who has thrown for over 4,000 yards in a season before and been to a superbowl. His problem is he is turnover prone with the ints and fumbles. That's my major drawback, given the ball control, low turnover gameplan wanstedt likes to use.

5. Kurt Warner. Seriously people, would you really want this guy? His wife would call into the radio shows in St. Louis and ***** about his playing time, etc. Don't get me wrong, when this guy was on, he was the best in the NFL, but that a few years ago now and he's getting older and more fragile. Remember last year when all the rams people said warner was back to his old form and he would beat out Bulger? Then what happened, he started week one, he was gunshy, hesitant, got himself killed by holding onto the ball too long, and fumbled 5 times.

I guess my point is that no one knew these guys would be available 100% for sure, so to second guess Speilman for not knowing that is foolish. Feeley is a gamble, but compared to what the other options are he's no more of a gamble than anyone else. Plus he's younger than all these other guys so if he does turn out to be good, we have him for longer. I was discouraged when he didn't light it up in mini-camp, but show me a report of any qb in the league that got rave reviews of their mini-camp/qb school performance. I reserve judgement on this trade until at least the 2nd or 3rd game of the pre-season to get a semi-handle on his performance, and that might not even be long enough. These mini-camps are probably when most of these guys start getting serious about the upcoming season in terms of getting in shape, look at Tim Bowens. Relax and give Feeley some time to get to know his teamates and the playbook.

So chill out, drink a budweiser (or any other Anheuser Busch product), dream about this upcoming season and have superbowl thoughts. This should be the best time of the year, no one's hurt, we don't have any losses, and everyone is looking like pro bowlers.

I think that is what I will do. Sit back and enjoy a couple of Bud's and wait until the at least TC starts before jump to rash judgements of Feeley.
The funny thing is, after a week of mini camps some people are ready run Feeley out of town because of his performance, yet Feidlers been here 4 years and some people are still saying we should give him another year :huh:

I think Feeley will be just fine once he gets comfortable with our O. However, that may not be until next year.

I dont think Feeley will ever be our future QB cause after our FO goes up in flames our next head coach will get rid of these bums and actually get this long awaited fan base a franchise QB.Wanny or Spielman will never do that simply because Wanny is an idiot and Spiel is trying to prove he sees the unseen in backup talent resulting in both getting axed.Jeff Fisher for coach!!!!! The official bandwagon has begun so hop the freak on.

finregime said:
I dont think Feeley will ever be our future QB cause after our FO goes up in flames our next head coach will get rid of these bums and actually get this long awaited fan base a franchise QB.Wanny or Spielman will never do that simply because Wanny is an idiot and Spiel is trying to prove he sees the unseen in backup talent resulting in both getting axed.Jeff Fisher for coach!!!!! The official bandwagon has begun so hop the freak on.

name one franchise quarterback Miami could picked up this year?

finregime said:

How many championships did we win with our last franchise QB? We are closer now than we've ever been.(no i'm not wanny) If we can get our passing game into the top 15 of the league and our D and run game doesn't slip, we WILL win a superbowl this year.

There was Rivers or Rothleisberg for one.Getting these 2nd hand guys doesnt go along way therefore taking away the franchise QB tag.The Fins need to stop trying to go after projects b/c this position is the most critical position on the field.Having a guy from Dartmouth running my offense doesnt give me much hope.Not to mention 4 yrs with him and he's only gotten worse whether because of injuries or not we still havent gotten better.Feeley was given 18 mil. and we gave a 2nd round pick for a guy who doesnt look like he's gonna start the way they're talkin'.Even if he did start why so much $$$$ for a guy that wasnt set to just come in and take the reigns.If he doesnt start it's a disappointing move and if he does and sucks it's a disappointing move.My $$$ says 1 of these 2 scenarios are more likely than us having a unknown superstar.

finregime said:
There was Rivers or Rothleisberg for one.Getting these 2nd hand guys doesnt go along way therefore taking away the franchise QB tag.The Fins need to stop trying to go after projects b/c this position is the most critical position on the field.Having a guy from Dartmouth running my offense doesnt give me much hope.Not to mention 4 yrs with him and he's only gotten worse whether because of injuries or not we still havent gotten better.Feeley was given 18 mil. and we gave a 2nd round pick for a guy who doesnt look like he's gonna start the way they're talkin'.Even if he did start why so much $$$$ for a guy that wasnt set to just come in and take the reigns.If he doesnt start it's a disappointing move and if he does and sucks it's a disappointing move.My $$$ says 1 of these 2 scenarios are more likely than us having a unknown superstar.

Rivers was the 4th pick in the draft. It would of cost WAY more then a second next year for him. Rothleisberg was the 11th pick in the draft. Another player Miami had no chance of getting.

A decent defender and exchanging picks would have solved that problem.They could have made something happen but to put hope in these 2 bozos at QB is a wash up.Lets be real here,our QBs SUCK at best and thats the way it is.The QB has to step up at crucial moments and I dont see either doin that.Like I said if Fiedler would have given me a reason to believe I would but 2 games show as an example to what Fiedler really offers is Eagles and @ Pats last year both of those games show that when Jay is asked to win he truly cant win.

finregime said:
A decent defender and exchanging picks would have solved that problem.They could have made something happen but to put hope in these 2 bozos at QB is a wash up.Lets be real here,our QBs SUCK at best and thats the way it is.The QB has to step up at crucial moments and I dont see either doin that.Like I said if Fiedler would have given me a reason to believe I would but 2 games show as an example to what Fiedler really offers is Eagles and @ Pats last year both of those games show that when Jay is asked to win he truly cant win.

So you want to sell the future so we can have a franchise quarterback. Lets make Miami's strength weaker so Miami can have a quarterback learn the ropes for a few years. Brilliant.

We have a ton of depth at certain positions like DB and DE.If Wale wont play anyway why not let him be trade bait and we have plenty of DB's to work with so dont tell me we would get weaker in those areas to get stronger in our only weak area.Dont make much sense dude!

Back
Top Bottom