Question for you guys about QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question for you guys about QB

TakeoSpikesNeck

Practice Squad
Reaction score
When we first signed Culpepper what were your guys reactions? Be honest please. I'm curious to see what most thought. I thought we were signing a great QB at the time that was going to do a lot for us.

Point is I think D.G has a chance to be opposite of D.C

We finished with 4 wins and our coach bailed for Bama. Hope DG and MM are way better than CP

I was hopefully when we got him but he was never the old Culpepper and hung around injured for a while till they put him out of his misery.
My lasting vision is him on a trainng bike. Too bad. Great talent at one time.

Yeah but what was it like on the forums when we first signed him. Was everyone all hyped about it? Or taking it like they are Gerrard

I thought we finally got the one, especially after watching this video. Was so excited. That knee injury was just to hard to overcome. 4700 yds Passing 39tds, 69.% Completion percentage and a rating of 110.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChKZDA3oGk

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought we finally got the one, especially after watching this video. Was so excited. That knee injury was just to hard to overcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChKZDA3oGk

Most of us thought that as well and he seemed like the way to go because our training staff had problems with Drew Bree's sholder. Miami HAD brees if they wanted but tas not to be.Good call Sabin.

When we first signed Culpepper what were your guys reactions? Be honest please. I'm curious to see what most thought. I thought we were signing a great QB at the time that was going to do a lot for us.

I was mad at hell that we signed him instead of Brees since DC really broke down at the end in Minnesota and was always a turnover machine. Some people say that he was only good because he threw it up to Randy Moss, but the truth is that it wasn't the lack of Moss that should have given pause. It was the fumbles.

I admit and always have that I thought it was a pretty solid risk. You have to get lucky to get a player that had played to the level of Culpepper not long before coming to phins , he was injured . He had been one of the most exciting qb's in the league and was a damn good player prior to coming here and one player Randy Moss did not make that all by himself. Supposedly when we signed him he was probably not going to be able to playe for a few games thats why we signed Joey harrington but somehow that went out the window and he started week one and obviously was not healthy enough to play at his previous level. Not sure he was ever the same qb after the injury. Was a fairly smart risky trade because if it had worked out we would have been a contender. You can justify trading a second round pick for a young qb that has been a pro bowler. Much different than trading a second round pick for AJ Feeley. So I was quite wrong mainly because he never had the mobility he had previous to his injury and I really feel the team did not do due diligence on when he was ready to play, which basically screwed our entire season. The funny thing is we once again went for a banged up qb the next year in Trent Green who was no better but i was definately noit fooled by that signing and called it as soon as we signed him that it was not going to be pretty.

Garrard may play well this year he is capable but he is basically about done for so he may have a Pennington year but also he really doesnt have many weapons so who knows and our oline was horrible at pass blocking last year and Artis Hicks is definately no upgrade

A few years before Culpepper with Moss and Carter set the scoring record and DC was a beast.
You cann't equal the signing of a qb to compete for a spot for 3 mil the same as a guy brought in to take us to the promise land, They had let Gus our starting qb go and CP was susposed to be THE MAN.

Don't forget CP cost a 2nd round pick.

I thought Culpepper was the better QB at the time...he had more experience/success than Brees had had up to that time in San Diego. But Culpepper was never the same after he busted up his leg.

Yeah until he came back as a raider and did that taunt in endzone that will never leave my mind. I was so pissssed off that day all week. I even shut my dorm room door and If I shut that door kids knew something was wrong with me.

Yeah until he came back as a raider and did that taunt in endzone that will never leave my mind. I was so pissssed off that day all week. I even shut my dorm room door and If I shut that door kids knew something was wrong with me.
Kinda sucked because spent the season and training camp in Miami rehabbing and finally was ready to play ... then we let he go.
What did he have like 4 td's that day ?

I was cautiously optimistic. I think deep down I felt like it had big potential to backfire but the homer in me was like "hey, if their medical staff wasn't sold that Brees can come back as good as before, that's good enough for me."

I was never mad with him for that because I just think he was more or less showing up our coach that basically never gave him a chance that he could still play although Daunte still wasnt right. At least Daunte was working hard to rehabilitate and was willing to compete but Cameron would have nothing of that and brought in his own version of a washed up player. The whole Daunte situation was totally mishandled and made the dolphin organization look poorly run.
This was the beginning of the end of Cameron losing the team right out the gate

I wanted Brees so much more then culpepper for inside reasons, pretty stupid reasons actually. But we got Dante and I was like whatever maybe this could work. I believe we had signed David Boston as well so I was looking forward to seeing Boston, McMichaels, Chambers ex..

Didn't like it.

Never really liked Culpepper in Minnesota either. He benefitted greatly from Moss who was one of the most gifted athletes I had ever seen coming out of college. Knee injury was a concern for me because he's a guy that likes to get out and scramble to make plays. I also wasn't a huge fan of Drew Brees. And I still believe that had we signed Drew Brees, he wouldn't be half as good here in Miami as he is in New Orleans. Sean Payton just works. He has a nice system out there. I think if he had Matt Moore you'd see a HUGE improvement in Matt Moore's game the same way we did with Drew Brees.

Back
Top Bottom