Question Regarding Fiedler | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question Regarding Fiedler

In no particular order:

Jay is gutsy, but very injury prone. You can't count on him being healthy all season and doesn't play well after returning from injury.

He lacks arm strength and accuracy. Teams understand they can stack the line and focus on stopping Ricky.

Jay is inconsistent. He can have a game like he did versus the Cowboys last year, or throw pick after pick. Even more distressing, he has saved his WORST games for the playoffs.

Just an angry Phin fan's bitter views? :evil: So why did Jay get NO OFFERS from any other team to start? He was given permission to seek a trade, but nobody wanted him. That, my friends, SPEAKS VOLUMES about how the rest of the NFL views Jay and his abilities.

Is Feeley better? I don't know. :confused: I hope he can be. Jay has had FOUR years to prove what he can do.

Jay Fiedler has never and will never take us to the promised land IMO for 3 reasons: his durability, his accuracy, and his late-game decision making. He will never make it through a full season without some sort of injury that hampers him greatly come playoff time...I mean 4 years in a row can't be a fluke everytime. The main problem Fiedler supporters don't realize is that he cannot make the necessary throws to keep the pressure off Ricky and the o-line. Teams will close down the middle of the field because they know he is excellent on quick slants seams and crosses over the middle to the WR's or TE. They also know to gear to stop the rollouts and flares that is the strength of Jay's game, and they can simply dare Jay to beat them over the top or to the sides...which we all know is his major weaknesses. So all this talk of upgrading the talent around him holds no merit because he cannot make the throws that would make the defense sit back on its heels. How many times have we seen Chambers flying by wide open only to be under or overthrown yet again... the defense sees this too and they know how to play us. He lost 2 games for us last year ( the two pats games) with hideous decision making late in the game, and has never shown me anything to say he is a good decsion maker. I just don't think he has what it takes.

catapano said:
i hear alot of jay bashing on this site so id like to ask all of you if jay stayed healthy all season will he be able to take us deep into the playoffs? personally i like the way jay plays the game yeah he looks like mr. potato head but when it comes down to 4th and goal from the 10 yard line jay will drop back observe the field if nothings there he will move those legs lower his shoulder and bang that ball over the goal line, we have all seen him do it ie.. the jets and the raiders ask them how they feel about it especially vincent from the jets im pretty sure he dislocated his shoulder trying to bring jay down coming across the goal line. yes jay will throw a long ball 10 yards over every bodys head now and then but i think hes great at utilizing the the smaller field, hes a team player and hes tough as nails. i dont know about you guys but when i look at aj feely my nuts im not feeling him for gods sake the guy backed up koy detmer the frailest qb in the game every time the guy takes a hit he breaks something he looks like a tooth pick out there. im my opinion its jay or bust unless we make a p/u like tim couch. but its definately not gonna be feely. :shakeno:
:D Right on, thats the way to stick it to em!

I'll try and be as nice as possible here:

Jay in mind is not a leader: does not have the respect of his teammates in a football capacity...is unable to lead by example. Nicest thing anyone says (teammate) is that he tries hard. There are millions of folks walking the street who have as much heart

Jay can't throw: He has a weak arm and can't throw it downfield, so the defense compresses and basically plays a slightly larger goalline D against us. He is also inaccurate on all of his throws...hence all of highlight reel catches.

Jay cant read a D: He throws to who the play is designed to go to regarless of the coverage...hence throwing into double/triple teams while a wide open receiver runs waiving his arms to no avail

Jay is good handling the ball and masks his play action well, but that is pointless since he is the one to throw.

Jay is selfish and blames others for bad plays regardless of whether it is his fault or not...another sign of poor leadership. The offense is the responsibility and demands ownership of all on it, especially the QB, that is why he needs to suck up the bad, and put it on himself. How many times has anyone heard one player on this team say that Jay can throw? To me that last sentence says it all.

I'll try and be as nice as possible here:

Jay in mind is not a leader: does not have the respect of his teammates in a football capacity...is unable to lead by example. Nicest thing anyone says (teammate) is that he tries hard. There are millions of folks walking the street who have as much heart

Jay can't throw: He has a weak arm and can't throw it downfield, so the defense compresses and basically plays a slightly larger goalline D against us. He is also inaccurate on all of his throws...hence all of highlight reel catches.

Jay cant read a D: He throws to who the play is designed to go to regarless of the coverage...hence throwing into double/triple teams while a wide open receiver runs waiving his arms to no avail

Jay is good handling the ball and masks his play action well, but that is pointless since he is the one to throw.

Jay is selfish and blames others for bad plays regardless of whether it is his fault or not...another sign of poor leadership. The offense is the responsibility and demands ownership of all on it, especially the QB, that is why he needs to suck up the bad, and put it on himself. How many times has anyone heard one player on this team say that Jay can throw? To me that last sentence says it all.

I agree with everything you said except for 1) he definitely has my respect for being one tough sob (playing through torn rotator cuffs etc) and I'm sure no one on the Dolphins questions his heart because that is one quality he has more than enough of and 2)while he may not take the blame on himself he does not blame other people and one thing I commend him for is being extremely classy in the face of all the media backlash he has received.

The initial question in this thread was if JF stayed healthy could he lead the team deep into the playoffs. The answer is clearly yes. JF has certainly had stretches over several games where he has played well enough only to be derailed by injury. Since he has played well enough in the past, only an irrational person would claim it's not a possibility. This does not mean I'm not seeking an upgrade. I would prefer more durable, consistant QB play. It means that despite any limitations, JF has played well enough in stretches and under the premise of this thread durability would no longer be a concern so it is reasonable to expect that he is capable of leading the team deep into the playoffs.

The initial question in this thread was if JF stayed healthy could he lead the team deep into the playoffs. The answer is clearly yes. JF has certainly had stretches over several games where he has played well enough only to be derailed by injury. Since he has played well enough in the past, only an irrational person would claim it's not a possibility. This does not mean I'm not seeking an upgrade. I would prefer more durable, consistant QB play. It means that despite any limitations, JF has played well enough in stretches and under the premise of this thread durability would no longer be a concern so it is reasonable to expect that he is capable of leading the team deep into the playoffs.

Wow talk about biased...the answer is clearly yes? What has he ever done that would even remotely make you think that he could lead us deep in the playoffs? Was it his amazing game vs the Colts or maybe the gem that followed vs the Raiders. Granted he has had some nice stretches in season...but he's also had real bad stretches just as much, and you can't use the excuse that he came back from injury because last year he played poorly from the opening game. As you said, he has played well in stretches but his inconsistency is so consistent that there is no way the answer is clearly yes or even yes.

How do you know AJ isnt an upgrade? Remember I am/was a fielder hugger. There is only so long that the same question can be asked before the answer must change. We have asked if Jay is good enough for 4 years and always many of us yes definitely yes, that if this and that and Jay cannot do this and that. While I still believ Jay is a good qb, he is limited, and even mentally limited.

Lets put it in perspective. Brady is not the most physically gifted qb, yet he wins and wins in teh clutch. Jay cannot do that. not consistently anyway. Brady does consistently. look against Indi last year, Brady throws 4 picks early, yet plays lights out in the 4th qtr and helps them get the lead and eventually win. I like Jay and always will respect him. There is just not much further he can go.

Topic reply

What im curious about is that IF Fiedler remained healthy for a full 16 games, would he ever lose momentum? I mean the past couple of years toward the middle of the season before he got injured he seemed to really be in a groove then an injury sets in and poof no more momentum/no more groove. Who knows though, he hasnt played a full 16 for a reason.. good thing we have a good backup.. :crossesfingers:

Levi said:
i think we should look into Rohan Davey, ino he isnt a free agent, but have you seen him play in NFL europe?
hes unbelievible. So in the NFL, he might be a little better than Fiedler.

He looked great @ LSU, He was on my draft wish list. I think he'll be starting somewhere (other than NE) in a year or two.

Fiedler = Hurt Chambers His passes are dangerous and a lot of the time stupid. He is not a good QB. He has had games where his rating was below 30. Move along people.. nothing to see here.

FiN.in.RI said:
What im curious about is that IF Fiedler remained healthy for a full 16 games, would he ever lose momentum? I mean the past couple of years toward the middle of the season before he got injured he seemed to really be in a groove then an injury sets in and poof no more momentum/no more groove. Who knows though, he hasnt played a full 16 for a reason.. good thing we have a good backup.. :crossesfingers:

We have seen what Jay Can do in a playoff run. It wouldn't make any difference unless our whole team is cooperating, however Jay isn't the type of qb to make miracles game after games so that is always expected out of a quarterback.

In my opinion jay feidler is a pretty good quaterback. I think he has just about everything a good qb has, except i think his only problem is he sometimes over throws his recievers and he often gets injured. But many people say he sucks when in actuality he doesnt at all. when we first start off the season he comes on strong leading us to a 4-1 start or even 5 or 6-1 starts and then he gets injured. then our "wonderful" and when i say wonderful i mean that in a sarcastic way, back up comes in and loses 4 out of 6 or 5 out of six games. Then by then its december again and we are back on the road and we all no how our team plays in december. So in my opinion its not all his fault we dont get 2 the playoffs its because of a mid-season injury and a horrible back up and then freezing december. So we all need to stop criticizing jay and look at everything else that is leading to our downfall. And we could always have someone like greise as our starter like he almost was and be 5-10 instead of 10-5. Jay gives it his all everytime he goes out there but he sumtimes makes dumb mistakes. So just look at it like that. I garentee if jay stays totalt healthy for one whole season we would make it to the playoffs maybe even farther!

A little comparison....

Arm strength= Feeley
Accuracy= Feeley
tight spirals= Feeley
Quicker realease=Feeley
ability to read the defense= Tie
mobility=Fiedler ( not by much)
intangibles(leadership ability)=Tie
durability= ??
youth=Feeley
upside=Feeley

Feeley is everything that Jay is but, with a stronger arm and much greater accuracy.

There isn't any question in my mind who the better QB is.

AJ will be the starter here. I'll put money on it.

It is not fair to campare Jay to Brady. Tom Brady had one of the better o-lines in the league this past year, unlike miami who had one of the worst. Maybe if Jay can get some decent protection he can make some good passes. It all starts and ends with the o-line. If Trent dilfer can win a SB, so can fiedler. Our o-line has been weak ever since jay got here. Its amazing what you can do when you have time to throw the ball. Yes Jay has been injury prone, but i think the o-line has had a lot to do with that. I think with our revamped o-line, jay will have a better chance to do some good things and stay healthy. Jay knows our offense, he is a leader regaurdless of what some may think, he has heart and toughness, he has good enough skills to get the job done if someone will block for him.

Feely may have some potenital, but until he knows the offense and gets adjusted to our system and players it may take some time for him to get comfortable like jay is. I think jay deserves a chance with a better o-line,and if he cant get it done bring in feely.

Back
Top Bottom