Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft

Your draft grade for Miami's 2012 draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A - Three years from now Miller will be a top 5 NFL Running Back. Tannehill will be very good. We probably picked up six guys who could be starters by Year 3

A. Three years from now Miller will be a top NFL Running Back. Tannehill will be very good and the starter by the midpoint of next year. We picked up 5 players who will be starters for us in two years.

Round 1, Pick 8 (8) - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M, 6'4", 221 A+, i watched the highlights of this kid, and let me tell you something that i firmly believe in, he has the potential to be our aaron rodgers, he can do everything aaron rodgers can do but he is also more athletic which is why i give him the extra plus on the grade.

Round 2, Pick 10 (42) - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford, 6'5", 312
A, high grade because weeks before the draft i read 10-15 different mock draft from experts and several of them had martin going in the first round, some even had him coming to us in the first round. An easy first round talent that we were able to get with a 2nd round pick. I consider him a steal.

Round 3, Pick 9 (72) - Olivier Vernon, DE, Miami, 6'2", 261 C+, i dont know much about him so i cant really grade him very well but from what i hear, he can bring solid pressure and strength to our front 7.

Round 3, Pick 15 (78) - Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri, 6'5", 252
B+, High Grade, Watched highlights of him, if he can stretch the field with his size and athletic ability like troy drayton did for us back in the 90s, he might become tannenshills favorite weapon. I would give an A but because he cannot block well he got a high B. Good thing we have fasano for the blocking. Its a great pick up for the dolphins.

Round 4, Pick 2 (97) - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami, 5'11", 212
A+, possesses chris johnson type speed, great vision, burst, explosion, home run threat, 1st round talent and was considered a late round 1st on many draft experts boards before the draft. Going into this draft i was high on miller and richardson, i wanted richardson but i knew it was a pipedream. When miller made it to the 4th round in the draft the other day, i posted on the forums saying what a steal he would be and didnt think ireland would pass up on him. I was correct, ireland not only did not pass on him but also traded up to get him!!! I know we all disliked ireland before this draft but this draft proved that parcells was the one running things til he left. Ireland knows talent and i am thrilled to have him as our gm. Steal #2 for us, all in all we got 2 steals in this draft. Martin and Miller, M&Ms is what we will call them. Irelands stole some M&Ms in this draft and made out like a damn bandit! props to our hole staff for this great draft. I cannot believe the steelers passed up on miller after they were looking for another running back.

The last few pics i dont know much about so il leave them as N/a not available for comment. The first 5 pics alone for me made this draft an A+ for the dolphins. Our last 2 drafts i think was a B- and B+ but this one was the draft all dolphins fans were waiting for. I am not surprised the moment the dolphins get a head coach from a winning organization like the packers things finally go up hill, its a great chance that philbin had alot to do with what happens in this draft, we will never know. I am sure Dolphins fans are not excited as ever for the season of 12 and i am also.

Outstanding draft, even found a couple of interesting receivers late.

Finally went back to the formula that helped make the "Shula" Dolphins the winnest team in Pro Sports...identify and draft your quarterback in round 1 when you don't have one, its ok to take flyers on QB's in later rounds when your not desperate...but its idiocrasy to rely upon later picks to pan out and lead the team.

Love the OT out of Stanford, we have the makings of a great line.

This TE should be a real weapon for us.

I thought we stole Lamar Miller, he will also be a weapon.

We even found a pass rusher right in our own back yard...about time the Dolphins started taking more players from the U.

Ill give it a solid B.. Hopefully in time we look back and give it an A+

I might get flack but outside of martin and matthews, all the picks are on potential. The players slid do to various reasons but the draft is a crap shoot. With the right coaching, I know Philbin and his staff will make potential into results on the field.

Egnew is an offensive safety valve, down the seam TE and red-zone threat as you've said. However, he can't block for chit and he's played for how long in this game from peewee. Of course, coaching and weights can fix that.

Miller is a stretch or sweep type runner and can't make something out of nothing which limits his packages. He also had injuries to his shoulder which dropped his stock. The dolphins now have 6 RBs in the stale.

Randall and Kaddu I know nothing about.

Cunningham set all types of records at MSU and although he doesn't have great leaping ability, I saw him snatch the ball from defenders and at the highest possible point that he could time his jump.

I love Matthews. He is quick and is hard to bring down. YAC monster with the ability to make 5 yard gains into 20+ yards. Lacks another gear and delays getting into his second gear from rest.

98% of NFL draft picks have that on their resume. I'm not sure why a team should be knocked for that. IMO rating a teams draft, days after the draft, should revolve around the value of that pick. For example, if a pick has a 2nd round value and you get that pick in the 4th, shouldn't that be considered an A-grade draft pick?

I think most agree, the real grade should be made 2-3 years later, not days after the draft.

I give the draft a B. To many holes to fill to fill them all. I hope we'll find some players after teams start to make cuts later.

Patriots. I follow all of the other AFCE teams closely; I think every team in the division had a good draft but I really like what Miami did.

I like what the Pats did. It may not be what draft experts think are smart moves. But the way I see it, Belichick has been moving down for years and accumulating picks for a draft like this. I can't bash him for that. He has made some good moves in the past to do what he did this year.

Keep the poll open for at least 2 years, then bump the post, and I will vote.

I gave it a solid b.

I liked the tannehill pick. I just read another thread where he read the playbook and one of the coaches was comfortable enough with tannehills knowledge that the meeting was over in three hour. I realize he has to perform, but I think it's a good sign. I got my wish and we finally took a chance on a first round qb. I'm pulling for tanny real hard.

martin, I thought was great value and it filled a need. not signing eric winston looks like a really good move now. especially considering martin was first round talent in a lot of peoples eyes and we got him at 42.. thats good drafting.

vernon... love this dude as well. I think with a few years of coaching and polishing him up, he can be a real good pass rusher. I wasn't really sure what round he'd go in, but I think he has talent that merits the pick, and I have confidence in the staff for the first time in years to actually bring players along and develope them.

egnew, I like a lot as well. I've seen some of his games living in the midwest. I get tired of hearing the pass blocking BS complaining from everyone. i'm guessing he wasn't brought in here to pass block. I dont' think guys like gronk, hernandez, graham... were brought to their respective teams to pass block either. egnew has good hands and will be valuable.

miller... I'm on record a long time ago as rather having him in the second the trich in the 1st... so obviously getting him in the fourth I was ****ing elated... I screamed so ****ing loud I woke both my kids up from there nap. wife was pissed, but all is good now. miller can be really good I think. and the value is out of this world. not sure how ppl can find a negative on it.

kaddu.. I honestly don't know much about. I wanted LB depth at some point in this draft though, with a potential to blossom into something more in the future. I think thats what we have in kaddu... but like I said I have to do more research on him.

cunningham..like this kid a lot... go to watch him torch my hawkeyes in person. for two tds, snapping something like a 7 game skid @ iowa city.. hes a production guy.. something like almost 2000 yards and 20 tds in his last two seasons... I think hes a perfect fit for WCO.. I was begging to wait on guys like him and marvin mcnutt in the later rounds, instead of going WR in the early and middle rounds... I got my wish. hopefully it works out.

kheeston... wow... dude is one BIG SUMBITCH.. I see this as a project obviously. but ireland said he has major verstatility. you never know whats going to go down with soliai, hopefully they can bring kheeston along and he can be a rotational player in a year or two.

matthews.. like kaddu.. I'm rendered with very little knowledge about this dude. be watching some film and delving into others reports to learn more..

overall I loved the draft.. filled some needs, got some great value, took some chances... type of stuff I like to see after all the years of seemingly always playing it safe. I think this is the best I have felt about a draft in handful of years. very solid B, with quite a bit of potential to blossom into an A

for what we want to do, solid A. For talent? Solid B. Wish we would have taken a QB a little earler, but BJ Cunningham and Rishard Matthews do offer us something diffferent.

both of those guys are underrated defenders. Randall was part of a good dline at Texas and was a guy I was hoping NE would look at in the later rounds. Kaddu can play as an OLB in either the 3-4 or 4-3 and is a decent blitzer. He's a bit smaller than typical outside linebackers but plays bigger than his size. he was projected as a 4th to 5th round pick so the Dolphins got him at the perfect spot.

Randall is a great pick by Ireland in the 7th. Previously, I didn't know anything about Randall so I looked for some footage of the young man showcasing the positives and negatives of his play. I'll admit I don't follow the Big-12 especially UT football very much.

I came away very impressed with Kheeston Randall. He plays with great leverage and stout at the point of attack when he is not tired. He explodes once the ball is snapped, thrusting is butt and quad muscles to drive forward. The force and angle he takes to project himself into the center's chest is amazing. At the same time, he maintains body control and balance on running downs, again very impressive. He is also very distruptive, constantly in the backfield altering the running back's path.

However, he fades badly when tired becoming just another body on the DL. Furthermore, he lacks any pass rush arsenal. When OL pass protect, they can negate and wash Randall from the play entirely like a rag doll. Right now he is a two-down rush defender but with conditioning and pass rush techniques, he will stay on the field for every down and distance.

Grade A: In terms of value, the dolphins possibly found a player with Langford's production with better agility in the 7th round

I'm 100% Randall makes the club and is not camp fodder.

Back
Top Bottom