Re-Merged-Miami Reported Targeted Cb Nick Harper/Signed by Titans | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Re-Merged-Miami Reported Targeted Cb Nick Harper/Signed by Titans

It seems to me we are playing the FA market smart. You don't want to over pay for these guys and be back in Salary cap hell.

Porter cost a lot yes, but I think 90% of us agree it was a no brainer.

But to pay big bucks for Harper, Stallworth, Washington??? I don't think so.

Exactly, last year in FA the Fins signed about everyone they could get their hands on and we were a trendy pick for the Super Bowl and how did that turn out? I like what the Fins are doing by only spending money and draft picks where needed and not just grabbing up risky FAs because they can, but are getting quality reliable FAs. So I think the Fins are doing a good job and are building the team nicely.

PS: with porter,taylor and thomas and crowder on the loose yes they will get hurt!

yea they are paying so many receivers...now they must have like 6-7 starting type receivers...all paying them too. not all will play, and some plays will be runs....seriously they are wasting their money. the Pats are going for speedy receivers because they know we will be sacking the hell out of them, and they want speedy guys who can get open easier...im shocked they didnt go for Terrell Owens:lol:

It seems to me players don't really want to come to Miami anymore. This is a losing franchise and players don't want to come to a team that is re-building. Said to say, but Miami is not an atractive place for free agents anymore. Sure we may get the Joey Porter type players once a year because we spend big dollars, but we are not a high priority team anymore. This is why the Stallworths and Whasingtons of the world turn us down and go to the Patriots. The only way to get these guys interested in coming here again is to build through the draft.

Expect a couple of more losing seaons.

They went to New England b/c the Pats have been a very successful team. Why go to Tennessee? Are they not rebuilding as well?

It seems to me players don't really want to come to Miami anymore. This is a losing franchise and players don't want to come to a team that is re-building. Said to say, but Miami is not an atractive place for free agents anymore. Sure we may get the Joey Porter type players once a year because we spend big dollars, but we are not a high priority team anymore. This is why the Stallworths and Whasingtons of the world turn us down and go to the Patriots. The only way to get these guys interested in coming here again is to build through the draft.

Players might be taking a "wait and see" attitude towards the Fins this year because of the new coach, plus what we've done to the offensive side of our roster recently. No one wants to get stuck on a doormat team.

You mentioned building through the draft... I agree we definitely need to make a strong statement there. And if some of our younger players step up this year and we break in a few rookies on the rise, all other things being equal (like $$$) players won't be reluctant to sign with us next FA period.

They went to New England b/c the Pats have been a very successful team. Why go to Tennessee? Are they not rebuilding as well?
They are more atractive when it comes to offensive players, and they were 8-8 last season. Lets not forget they have Vince Young as QB and the best we might field is Trent Green.

Agreed. :(

Looks like the draft will be our place to find the playmakers, now that Wilkenson is said to retire, we lose that pick.DAMN

They are more atractive when it comes to offensive players, and they were 8-8 last season. Lets not forget they have Vince Young as QB and the best we might field is Trent Green.

I'm hoping the "best we might field" is Daunte Culpepper circa 2004.

Nick Harper is better than any cornerback we have on our team. Compared to Will Allen, he looks like a shutdown HOF corner. I hope we can sign him to an affordable contract because there's no way we can get Samuel and the only thing this defense lacks is a decent cover corner.

What ? Nick "toast" Harper ? You are out of your mind..And if he's so great why is he still available. Don't you think New England would of already signed him..:lol:

Originally Posted by depac33
Anyone that wore a Colt's uni last yr doesnt know what run Defense is....:lol:

colts won a super bowl, and shut down all the RB in the playoffs, so i think they know what run defense is, just didn't feel like doing it til the end of the year.

It really doesnt have so much to do with where the player wants to sign but moreso who will pay them the most...Alot of players have "visit" us over the years and decide not to sign with us because they get a better offer somewhere else. Remember we doint have the cap room to sign an adalious thomas or steve hutchinson. Players go where the money is first, and where they want to be second...(except for dielman)...

And actually, I am always hearing players saying they want to play for miami in the sun and for a historically winning franchise.

So it isnt that players "don't" want to play for us...Its that we cant pay them what other teams can.

Remember the key words are MONEY first and TEAM second

Back
Top Bottom