Real Men | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Real Men

touborg

Board Linebacker
Reaction score
It takes a man to play football. Every time the ball is snapped, you know you’re going to get hit by the man directly opposite you. He knows this as well, and yet every time the snap comes, he flies forward, aware that this hit will mean more pain and fatigue. And yet, these people walk onto the field every Sunday to take a pounding. They just keep coming back for more.
Ultimately, this beating means that they can’t keep their jobs till they turn 40. Their bodies can’t take the hits, and at some point, they will listen to their bones and simply retire. The most unfortunate ones, and luckily they are also the few, end their careers before they have even started.

If you take that kind of beating, you’re a man in my book.

Apart from the physical pressure, all of a sudden these kids (because let’s face it, that’s what they are the day they’re drafted), are thrown into a media circus, loved by fans if they do well, hated if don’t perform. I don’t think anyone can really understand how a draft bust must feel, or someone made the state crook because he dropped the touchdown that would have sent the team to the playoffs. It’s quite insane really, you finish college, someone dumps a few millions into your lap, tells you that you’re a celebrity and good luck with it.

If you can go through with that without going just a little insane, you’re a man in my book.

Some people hate their work, yet they go every single day, because they know it puts bread on the table. Ricky Williams was one of those people. He didn’t love football like say Bua, but he did it anyway, because it was his job. Not only did he do it, but for someone that didn’t really care for it, he had a superb work ethic. He carried an inhumane load last year, for a workplace he wasn’t really excited about, and then proceeded to show up this summer in great shape, for a workplace he wasn’t really excited about.

If you have a work ethic and self discipline like that, you’re a man in my book.

I’ve seen people with very little talent succeed because they worked harder than anyone else on the team. I’ve also seen people with very much talent fail, or never peak, because they thought talent alone would carry them. Obviously, the ones who mix talent with hard work will become the biggest stars, but you can still make it far on hard work alone. In my book, the person who tries the hardest, the person that plays his heart out every time he steps on the field, the person who breaks tackles with sheer will, deserves the most credit.

If you work hard enough to exceed your limitations, you’re a man in my book.

A role model is a full picture, and today, many role models only consist of pieces of the picture. Ricky Williams for example, consists of all of the above. Sadly, he is missing important pieces like responsibility, loyalty, maturity and respect for ones surroundings. Much has been said and written about him the past few days, and much will be for the next while, but one thing that stands painfully clear is:

The Dolphins gambled getting him.

And they lost.

(Pardon any spelling and grammar errors in advance, as english is my 3rd language, they are bound to be there)

How many of us have ever quit a job without giving an appropriate notice?

I once walked into my job, got my gear and left - no notice, no excuse - nothing!

Are any of us that have quit our jobs without proper notification any less of a Man?

BigFinFan said:

I once walked into my job, got my gear and left - no notice, no excuse - nothing!

Are any of us that have quit our jobs without proper notification any less of a Man?
Good point. I believe that he owes his team mates more than that though.

I've never walked out on a job where I was hard to replace, and certainly not over the cellphone the morning I had to go there, which would be similar to what Ricky did.

These people have worked hard all of there lives with dreams of winning a Super Bowl. Being in the Navy, you should know what teamwork is all about. It's NOT about quitting on the troops at the most inopportune times. A "team player" would give his teammates more respect than that.

So basically you guys finally admit that Travis Henry is a beast. Took ya long enough.

I've never quit a job without two weeks notice. If he would have said something two weeks ago, we may have been able to get George or Smith.. .

MOULDSROCKS said:
So basically you guys finally admit that Travis Henry is a beast. Took ya long enough.
:confused: What the hell are you talking about:lol: ?

Even tho this had nothing to do with the post ill comment on it. Ive always liked Travis Henry, and have never said he wasnt talented. A beast is a guy like Ricky, Henrys not a beast. A good RB tht i would LOVE to have on my team, yes, a beast, no.

He's a better man than Ricky will ever be.

I said he was tougher than RW in a thread a week ago and was blasted for it.
Isn't that funny?

While Ricky is a quitter im not sure id say he's less of a man then someone who commited statuatory rape (did he ever get any punishment for that???)

Funny that people question the manlyness of a player who took more carries in a shorter time than anyone in NFL history.

Put 99.9% of us in Ricky's spot for a game and we'd come out crying if we weren't in a coma. How in the hell can you question a guy's manlyness for leaving a GAME? What gender of a person was carrying this team on his shoulders for hte last 2 years? Sure as hell didn't look like the work of a woman. THat back had balls of steel. Now we have jokers making cracks at his sexuality. Get a life and be thankful that he gave us a shot for 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom