Regression of Crustedt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Regression of Crustedt

KATSKAN

Starter
Reaction score
I wanted to take a moment to re-kindle what Coach Crustedt has done in the four year post-Marino era.

2000: 11-5 (Division Title, WC home win over Indy, divisional road loss to Oakland)

This was the year the people expected the least and with Lamar Smith we got the best performance of the era.

Grade: A-/B+

2001: 11-5 (WC home loss to Baltimore) Still under old playoff rules w/ 3 divisions or we would have been on the road under the current format.

Higher expectations - lose the divison crown - lose the home playoff game.

Grade: B (regressed)

2002: 9-7 (Elimated from playoffs in final week by NYJ - we had two chances to clinch against Minnesota and New England)

Added Ricky Williams - expectations soar - Taylor and Ogunleye break out to become leading sack tandem, Ricky leads league in rushing.

Grade: C (regressed)

2003: 10-6 (Eliminated from playoffs in week 16 rather than final week despite the better W-L record.)

Added defensive veterans: Seau, Knight, Buckley - expectations are set very high yet again. Turn road record from 2-6 to 6-2, but fall to 4-4 at our field? We are supposed to be nearly unbeatable there, especially in September.....oh Houston.

Grade: C (regressed - due to earliest playoff elimination.

Now I am going to root for this team with a Super Bowl or bust attitude every year since I've done since I was 4 or as long as I can remember and that will never change. However, I think we can all agree that we have talent and we need to come together. The talent has been there all four years and we are on a downward trend. This happened under Crustedt in Chicago as well. He is still here and I will root for him and this team while he is, but this is why people want change. It's just not coming together and it's getting worse. Every year it looks on paper like we've improved and it just keeps falling apart.

I never wanted Jimmy Johnson to become coach of this team, but I rooted for him b/c he was the team coach and had a proven track record and I would've sold my soul to the devil for Marino to get a ring and I thought maybe he was the man who could do it. He failed.

So why does he get to hand pick his successor---his buddy? Yes Crustedt, your won/loss record speaks for itself and I'd rather have four winning seasons than four losing seasons, but as the boss you underachieve. You have talent and you underachieve. We all set the bar high.......you, me, the fans, the media, b/c it should be and it's always underachievment.

The coach doesn't miss the tackles or turn the ball over but he brought in the players that do - so please no one use that excuse. True, there may be no better replacement in terms of track record right now, but there will someday in the coaching carousel.

I just want to know what others think - maybe it is time to say goodbye to the early 90's Dallas regime here in South Florida and turn over a new leaf with a new staff to build new tradition. It's been 8+ long years of high expectations with nothing to show except the retirement of the greatest pure passer ever to play this game.

Until then.....go Dolphins!! Super Bowl or bust in 2004 just like every year!

KATSKAN said:
I wanted to take a moment to re-kindle what Coach Crustedt has done in the four year post-Marino era.

2000: 11-5 (Division Title, WC home win over Indy, divisional road loss to Oakland)

This was the year the people expected the least and with Lamar Smith we got the best performance of the era.

Grade: A-/B+

2001: 11-5 (WC home loss to Baltimore) Still under old playoff rules w/ 3 divisions or we would have been on the road under the current format.

Higher expectations - lose the divison crown - lose the home playoff game.

Grade: B (regressed)

2002: 9-7 (Elimated from playoffs in final week by NYJ - we had two chances to clinch against Minnesota and New England)

Added Ricky Williams - expectations soar - Taylor and Ogunleye break out to become leading sack tandem, Ricky leads league in rushing.

Grade: C (regressed)

2003: 10-6 (Eliminated from playoffs in week 16 rather than final week despite the better W-L record.)

Added defensive veterans: Seau, Knight, Buckley - expectations are set very high yet again. Turn road record from 2-6 to 6-2, but fall to 4-4 at our field? We are supposed to be nearly unbeatable there, especially in September.....oh Houston.

Grade: C (regressed - due to earliest playoff elimination.

Now I am going to root for this team with a Super Bowl or bust attitude every year since I've done since I was 4 or as long as I can remember and that will never change. However, I think we can all agree that we have talent and we need to come together. The talent has been there all four years and we are on a downward trend. This happened under Crustedt in Chicago as well. He is still here and I will root for him and this team while he is, but this is why people want change. It's just not coming together and it's getting worse. Every year it looks on paper like we've improved and it just keeps falling apart.

I never wanted Jimmy Johnson to become coach of this team, but I rooted for him b/c he was the team coach and had a proven track record and I would've sold my soul to the devil for Marino to get a ring and I thought maybe he was the man who could do it. He failed.

So why does he get to hand pick his successor---his buddy? Yes Crustedt, your won/loss record speaks for itself and I'd rather have four winning seasons than four losing seasons, but as the boss you underachieve. You have talent and you underachieve. We all set the bar high.......you, me, the fans, the media, b/c it should be and it's always underachievment.

The coach doesn't miss the tackles or turn the ball over but he brought in the players that do - so please no one use that excuse. True, there may be no better replacement in terms of track record right now, but there will someday in the coaching carousel.

I just want to know what others think - maybe it is time to say goodbye to the early 90's Dallas regime here in South Florida and turn over a new leaf with a new staff to build new tradition. It's been 8+ long years of high expectations with nothing to show except the retirement of the greatest pure passer ever to play this game.

Until then.....go Dolphins!! Super Bowl or bust in 2004 just like every year!

Too bad Wayne H. doesn't think more like you.......If so we probably would have a new coach. But oh well. You are right we have to cheer for who we got because they are Dolphins. Even if their names are Wannstedt and Feidler :evil:

My feelings EXACTLY. I hope the fins do well this season, but if by some chance they do not... I pray that WH finally sees the light and axes DW.

KATSKAN said:
...I just want to know what others think...

I could care less about what happened 4 years ago. It will have no affect on what happens this season with this team. This team led by Dave Wannstedt and the new coaching staff...with the added free agents and draftees have never played one down of football together. This team is much more than one coach and one quarterback. It's the Miami Dolphins.

I'm looking forward to this team being competitive and hope that it is able to improve in all phases of the game of football...defense, offense, and special teams.

I feel much like you do and with this my 200th post i feel ishould really state my stance. I love the Dolphins, i always will. On Sunday like most of you i will be sitting infront of the tv yelling and sometimes swearing for them to win. I hate Wanny i feel he should have been fired this year! Now we have seen the way thing have taken shape in the draft and FO. I feel that the simple fact is Wanny has good asst coaches, but does not allow them to do thier job. What differance does it make who the OC is if he can not call a play without Wanny trumping him. I know it might change this year and i pray for that. I just do not think Wanny has it in him to go for it in a game,and not play conservative. Time will tell i will always be a fan, but wanny makes me hang my head when he is mentioned in football talk. Something i never had to do before he got this job.

KATSKAN said:
The talent has been there all four years and we are on a downward trend.

Given the nonstop whining on this message board about the QB, OL, and WR, how can you possibly believe this?

I believe that the offensive talent on this team has been below average since the end of the Shula era. JJ left this team almost devoid of talent at the skill positions. Huard, JJ Johnson, Abdul-Jabbar, McDuffie, Tony Martin and Troy Drayton??? Are you kidding? Is this the talent that you are referring to?

Wanny has spent the last 4 years replacing the entire offensive roster (except Konrad).

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Given the nonstop whining on this message board about the QB, OL, and WR, how can you possibly believe this?

I believe that the offensive talent on this team has been below average since the end of the Shula era. JJ left this team almost devoid of talent at the skill positions. Huard, JJ Johnson, Abdul-Jabbar, McDuffie, Tony Martin and Troy Drayton??? Are you kidding? Is this the talent that you are referring to?

Wanny has spent the last 4 years replacing the entire offensive roster (except Konrad).

Some see it, some don't get it..they keep saying talent, I keep asking where?

PhinstiGator said:
I could care less about what happened 4 years ago. It will have no affect on what happens this season with this team. This team led by Dave Wannstedt and the new coaching staff...with the added free agents and draftees have never played one down of football together. This team is much more than one coach and one quarterback. It's the Miami Dolphins.

I'm looking forward to this team being competitive and hope that it is able to improve in all phases of the game of football...defense, offense, and special teams.
Great post

FinfanInBuffalo said:

Great Post......Good to see

FinfanInBuffalo said:

Yeah? And what have we gotten to show for it? We have gotten worse each year under his leadership. We don't have the players we need but a good coach makes the team his own. Wanny's team just plain SUCKS

LoXiN said:
Yeah? And what have we gotten to show for it? We have gotten worse each year under his leadership. We don't have the players we need but a good coach makes the team his own. Wanny's team just plain SUCKS

Lets see....below average talent and above average winning %. Okay now I can see how the coaching sucks....wrong. And 10 wins per year... that just sucks?????

I'm not saying that I'm satisfied with the end result, but the statement that the team has had enough talent is just wrong, IMO.

Why don't you address the point I was making rather than just make stupid comments?

Not Making the Playoffs 2 years in a row with the team we have now IS WRONG! We would have Made it last year if Wanny hadnt gone for 2 with the Texans.

The end result is what matters not the means to get to it. Welcome to the real world.

The point you made was he replaced sh*t with, considering your recent post, sh*t.

An above average winning % is nice, but without a SB or at least appearance, its worthless.

LoXiN said:
Not Making the Playoffs 2 years in a row with the team we have now IS WRONG! We would have Made it last year if Wanny hadnt gone for 2 with the Texans.

The end result is what matters not the means to get to it. Welcome to the real world.

The point you made was he replaced sh*t with, considering your recent post, sh*t.

An above average winning % is nice, but without a SB or at least appearance, its worthless.

I think Wanny made the right move going for 2.

LoXiN said:

:tantrum:

Tell us how you really feel?

I feel glad I dont live in Miami. I'd probably go and Kill Wanny Myself if I did.

Back
Top Bottom