Retire a Dolphins number | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retire a Dolphins number

It's still hard for me to see #42 on the field as anyone other than Paul Warfield.

Who knows, maybe at some point that start doing things like retiring a number for 50 years or something. Because once someone has retired, then 50 years of their jersey retirement has passed, that's typically over 60 years, or 3 full generations. Not many living people saw them play at that point. Or heck, maybe even 100 years ... you know, just to be safe. I mean, Dick Anderson and Jake Scott were great players, but we didn't retire their numbers ... and one of them wore 13 before Marino. So yeah, numbers will get re-used.

But if I'm honest, I'd rather not see players wearing 54 or 99 this decade. Maybe call it a soft-retirement or something. Down the road ... who knows, but not yet.

Nobody but if I have to choose one, #66 Larry Little.

The one I came into the thread to post. You'd also want to consider 57 (Dwight Stephenson) and 85 (Nick Buoniconti).

It's hard to justify retiring the number of a player not in the HOF. As much as I enjoyed watching Zach Thomas, he's not likely to ever get there. Richmond Webb I do think will eventually get into the hall, but not for another decade at least.

We have 90 players on the roster and with the retired numbers of former greats plus all the other numbers that posters want to retire, we will run out of 2 digit numbers. Are people comfortable with going above 100?

3FFFDCD9-B48A-4161-AFB9-8E9C4A8E8046_zpsxmrk8xbp.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom