Rey Maualuga Might not be ready for the opener | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rey Maualuga Might not be ready for the opener

Given his history and now he's overweight, I wouldn't have even signed him. We can likely find better after cuts. Maybe even trade for a LB. I really think Chase Allen would be better then Maulega in the 2 down role
Brother, Rey offers a lot of experience over Allen. It will be interesting see how Coach Gase views it.

Well our whole defense won't be ready so he will fit right in

Bucs will march up and down the field on us with ease, we'll score some points too so take the over 45.5

Given his history and now he's overweight, I wouldn't have even signed him. We can likely find better after cuts. Maybe even trade for a LB. I really think Chase Allen would be better then Maulega in the 2 down role

even if Allen doesn't make the team? He has a lot of bad tape the past two games. My guess is practice squad at best, so hopefully Maualuga gets in shape quick!

How did you get there? If he isn't ready week 1 he will play weeek 2. Did you read the article or listen to what Gase said? He is being smart with him and trying to prepare him for the season, and not just one game.
No I think better more ready options will be available at cut time

Maualuga needs to lose a little weight - the guy is huge, but when you are older, it is sometimes wise to drop 10 or 15 LBS in order to lighten your load a bit.

The NFL is a billion dollar biz, the guy should have a chef at his beck and call 24/7 (paid for by Ross). Drink at least a gallon of water everyday for the next 3 weeks, no bread, no pasta, no rice, and no sugary drinks or desserts.

The weight will peel off easily. Now does that mean he will be football ready cardio-wise? No.

No I think better more ready options will be available at cut time

He started practicing today. If better options are available we can cut guys like Allen, Hull, hewlit, who don't have gauranteed contracts, and haven't proven they can play in the NFL. Rey is a proven player for 8 seasons and is only 30.

The less we have him practice the worse shape he will be in when the season begins. Throw him in there and give him a lot of reps.

Man things have changed since OTAs. Never thought we'd be focusing this much energy on a washed up linebacker.

Maualuga has never been in tip top physical shape entering a season. He was sidelined during OTA's last year for being "grossly overweight". A naturally slow LB is slowed even more by not being in shape and entering his 30's. Sounds like a Tannebaum move...Maualuga is this year's Mario Williams.

Maualuga has never been in tip top physical shape entering a season. He was sidelined during OTA's last year from being "grossly overweight". A naturally slow LB is slowed even more by not being in shape and entering his 30's. Sounds like a Tannebaum move...Maualuga is this year's Mario Williams.

I'm tagging Julius Thomas as this year's Mario Williams. Maualuga is more like a fart in the wind.

He was listed at 255 last year and was 250 at the combine in 2008. They said he reported to Miami at 260 but they wanted him to play at 250. You can't really practice full bore when you are restricting calories at the same time. 5 lbs could hardly be classified as "letting yourself go". LOL

I still can't believe he was drafted 10th overall.

Per ESPN Stats & Information, that's the number of yards opposing teams averaged per rush against the Bengals' defense last season whenever Maualuga was on the field. When he wasn't, opposing rushers averaged 4.9 yards.

Clearly, Maualuga had an impact on Cincinnati's run defense.

That was especially the case late in the season when after giving up more than 100 rushing yards in seven straight games, the Bengals ended the regular season allowing opposing offenses to go beyond the 100-yard rushing threshold just once in the final seven games of the regular season. The first of those final seven games coincided with Maualuga's return from a four-game absence due to the aforementioned hamstring issue.

Through Week 10 -- and yes, that includes the first five games of the season that Maualuga did participate in before his injury -- the Bengals gave up an average 143 rushing yards per game. In the final seven weeks after Maualuga's return, they allowed just 82 yards per game. All but 20 of Maualuga's 59 tackles this past season came on running plays.

In addition to missing Maualuga's run-stopping ability for those four games, the Bengals also were without true leadership at linebacker. Maualuga's injury came at the same time that Lamur and Burfict also were out of the rotation. Backup Vincent Rey did an admirable job in relief, finishing the season with a team-high 121 tackles, but he didn't have the same in-huddle veteran presence Maualuga did. Nor did he immediately command attention from teammates the way Burfict so naturally has been able to do.

This was another reason the Bengals have felt since the day after the season ended that they needed Maualuga back.

Maualuga wasn't just good at stopping the run last season. He's been good at it his entire career. Since 2009, the Bengals allowed an average 4.6 yards per rush when Maualuga was not on the field. When he was, they gave up just 3.9 yards.

I see him as another Arian Foster. Comes in...provides some vet leadership...then retires mid-season.

Back
Top Bottom