Rhode Island Head Coach Darren Rizzi added to Fins staff | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rhode Island Head Coach Darren Rizzi added to Fins staff

Rizzi is a long time friend of Sparano's who hired Rizzi at New Haven way back in the early 90's. I suspect Tony thinks he's an up and coming coaching prospect, sort of like the Mangini to his Belichek (Except that Mangini ended up just being a big bafoon).

I was the sports editor of the URI newspaper last year and I interviewed Rizzi when he got hired. He was a really nice guy and when I mentioned that I was a Dolphins fan he told me that he was really good friends with Sparano. In college, Sparano was a really awesome tight end for URI.

FriendRhodyPhinsFan :
nice write. like the personal touch.
Sparano has learned from Parcells to keep it in the family. Makes for a more coherent & harmonious coaching environment.
Looks good to me.:D

I don't think it is that surprising. The guy probably sees himself as a NFL coach and if he has a chance to make the jump to the pro game, he has to start somewhere.

Last year Jim Reid resigned as the Virginia Military Institute's head coach to become our Inside Linebackers coach. Steve Bush resigned as a high school head coach to become our Offensive Quality Control coach.

Even though these guys left head coaching jobs for, lets be honest, hardly glamorous NFL jobs, it is a good step in their coaching careers. It is probably easier to become a future NFL coordinator if you have NFL experience and not coaching a high school team or a lower level football college.

Going from High School coach to any position in the NFL, even if it's waterboy, is a great move!:lol2:

If the phins really wanted to do it right; they'd hire Urban Meyer as ST co-ordinator or even better Frank Beamer (from Va Tech).

If it it were Beamer then the phins would have the inside track on landing Michael Vick here in a few months. Further, Bill, Jeff, & Tony wouldn't need to draft Pat White for the Wildcat.

i think they made the right choice with rizzi. I wish him the best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom