Rick Spielman | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rick Spielman

JTBRLZ said:
I agree that Speilman was a good talent evaluator, just a bad GM.

If he was such a good evaluator how or why did he trade for Gordon or Feeley. Why did he draft a tackle that barely played a down. Speilman sucks on so many levels.

miadfins said:
he also used one of his first day picks on lamar gordon and a think AJ. and wasted another pick to move up tp get carey

He also had a lot of pressure from Huizenga and DW to win now!

Some of you guys judge people without knowing all the facts. He has a good eye for talent and he's certainly more qualified than any of the other guys on the show.

#1DoLfAnOKesh said:
he is a BUM

nough said...

It's unfortunate that some of you have such pitiful lives that you have to resort to insults and personal attacks against players, coaches/ GM's you don't like.
From everything I've read Spielman was hard working and very dedicated to his job. So to call him garbage, loser or bum is more a reflection of you.
He reached the pinnacle of his profession which is more that can be said for some of you.

dlockz said:
If he was such a good evaluator how or why did he trade for Gordon or Feeley.

Gordon was simply a desperation move. I think that has already been mentioned twice in this trhread. Minor got hurt, we where down to Sammie as the only RB that would be able to carry more than 20 times a game.

So the Rams took advantage of our desperation.

Feeley was one of those moves that Rick did fowl up, he thought he was a decent QB that would fit Wanny's system. The Eagles wanted a 3rd round pick in the 04 draft, we didn't have a 3rd so Rick made a bad GM move by giving the Eagles a 2nd in 05.

Trading up to get Carey was another bad GM move. as mentioned before, who cares if Carey gets taken, Wilfork is there. But I think Rick was scared he would miss out on the other OT he really wanted (and the team needed), as he watched Shawn Andrews get stolen from us from non other than the Eagles.

bottom line is, he was a decent (NOT GREAT) talent evaluator and a really bad GM.

He does get props for finding Hadnot and Pope. Poole was a no brainer, when a 1st or 2nd round talent falls to the 4th, you take him.

Spray Mucus said:
Gordon was simply a desperation move. I think that has already been mentioned twice in this trhread. Minor got hurt, we where down to Sammie as the only RB that would be able to carry more than 20 times a game.

So the Rams took advantage of our desperation.

Feeley was one of those moves that Rick did fowl up, he thought he was a decent QB that would fit Wanny's system. The Eagles wanted a 3rd round pick in the 04 draft, we didn't have a 3rd so Rick made a bad GM move by giving the Eagles a 2nd in 05.

Trading up to get Carey was another bad GM move. as mentioned before, who cares if Carey gets taken, Wilfork is there. But I think Rick was scared he would miss out on the other OT he really wanted (and the team needed), as he watched Shawn Andrews get stolen from us from non other than the Eagles.

bottom line is, he was a decent (NOT GREAT) talent evaluator and a really bad GM.

He does get props for finding Hadnot and Pope. Poole was a no brainer, when a 1st or 2nd round talent falls to the 4th, you take him.

He also wanted Anquan Boldin, but DW over ruled him. He wanted Kendrell Bell instead of Fletcher, but DW over ruled him. Chambers, McMichael were his picks. RS problem was that he didn't have the experience to be a GM, but he was a good talent evaluator. He also seems like a decent guy and that's what bothers me the most about the personal attacks.
If a person doesn't like the job he did, that's fine and should be stated that way.

jlfin said:
He also had a lot of pressure from Huizenga and DW to win now!

Some of you guys judge people without knowing all the facts. He has a good eye for talent and he's certainly more qualified than any of the other guys on the show.

His results were the facts. He was under pressure to find a QB and a RB but not to take the two respective guys he took. Nobody in the league was going to give up that much for these two third stringers and neither team had leverage. If his eye for talent is so great, how come no team came knocking after this debacle. We could have had Larry Johnson for the right offer. At that time nobody wanted Johnson. The were much better Qb's to trade a second for than Feeley. Then the idiot loses a 4th round pick out of pure stupidity and Vikings later admit bluffing us. He took Tony Bua who never had a real position over Kelly Butler T from Purdue who started 16 games last year. Shane Olivea T was still on board also. fact is we are a better team without Rick Speilman here to muff things up. Big deal he liked Antoin Boldin, so did I but i'm not a GM and even I would not have had Eddie Moore that highly rated.

jlfin said:
He also wanted Anquan Boldin, but DW over ruled him. He wanted Kendrell Bell instead of Fletcher, but DW over ruled him. Chambers, McMichael were his picks. RS problem was that he didn't have the experience to be a GM, but he was a good talent evaluator. He also seems like a decent guy and that's what bothers me the most about the personal attacks.
If a person doesn't like the job he did, that's fine and should be stated that way.

I have no problems with Spiel's as a person. As a matter a fact, I think he's a class act. I remember him beeing interviewed on the NFL network a week after Ricky retired, he had the chance to bash Ricky but chose to wish him best of luck instead.

I was awar of Boldin and Bell but not Chambers and McMicheal beeing Ricks pick. Do you have anything to back that up?

dlockz said:
His results were the facts. He was under pressure to find a QB and a RB but not to take the two respective guys he took. Nobody in the league was going to give up that much for these two third stringers and neither team had leverage. If his eye for talent is so great, how come no team came knocking after this debacle. We could have had Larry Johnson for the right offer. At that time nobody wanted Johnson. The were much better Qb's to trade a second for than Feeley. Then the idiot loses a 4th round pick out of pure stupidity and Vikings later admit bluffing us. He took Tony Bua who never had a real position over Kelly Butler T from Purdue who started 16 games last year. Shane Olivea T was still on board also. fact is we are a better team without Rick Speilman here to muff things up. Big deal he liked Antoin Boldin, so did I but i'm not a GM and even I would not have had Eddie Moore that highly rated.

Hello! is this thing on? are we typing in Japanese.

everything you mentioned was the result of a BAD GM MOVE!

as for the Bua pick... instead of naming the two guys who where obviously sleeper picks, why don't you name all the picks who are no longer on NFL rosters, while your at it, name all the guys picked BEFORE BUA who never made the team they where picked by.

It is true, we are a better team now that Rick isn't around but, he isn't to blame for ALL that went wrong in 04.

Spray Mucus said:
I have no problems with Spiel's as a person. As a matter a fact, I think he's a class act. I remember him beeing interviewed on the NFL network a week after Ricky retired, he had the chance to bash Ricky but chose to wish him best of luck instead.

I was awar of Boldin and Bell but not Chambers and McMicheal beeing Ricks pick. Do you have anything to back that up?

The bell pick was silly also, Brees should have been the obvious pick but oh well. As a guy he seems like a good guy as GM-talent evaluator he should be unemployed which he is at that position.

MiamiMan147 said:
Like I said, bad GM, good talent evaluator. The moves for Feeley and Gordon were the desperation moves of a guy who had 1 year to turn around a team. Obviously, they should never have been made. Same thing with trading up one spot to get a player that would have been there anyways.

What does being desperate have to do with identifying talent? Under any type of situation (even the most stressful ones - goes with the territory) the talent evaluator's skill set stays the same. They either have it or they don't. There's no overriding circumstances that would cause them to compromise how they view players.
btw - please don't be naive and think wayne gave spiel one yr to prove himself because if that was the case huizenga would've fired him right b4 Saban came aboard. If it was up to the owner rick would still be with us.

MiamiMan147 said:
Anyone who labels a guy a bust in his 1st season is ignorant. In case you didn't notice he did all right in year 2. However, he wasn't what made this draft. We had a 4th round steal in Poole, a solid starter (Hadnot in the 5th), a special teams ace (Bua 6th, who was cut because he didn't fit the new system), and a pretty good backup to Zack Thomas (Pope, 7th round). Even Pape, a 7th rounder, is still on the roster. Considering most 7th rounders don't even survive training camp, that's not bad.

Where is Bua now? Pope will be lucky to land a roster spot this yr. Why do you insist on comparing wanny's drafts with 2004? Spiel was his right hand man the whole time.

MiamiMan147 said:
Sorry, I don't think it was just a coincidence that the one draft we had were Wanny wasn't allowed to muck things up was the best of his tenure. We found 2, possibly 3 starters on the second day of his one draft (Pope would start on a lot of teams). Compare that to the single day 2 starter we picked in the previous 4 years.

And that is evident from all those teams beating down our door to trade for him ...?

dlockz said:
The bell pick was silly also, Brees should have been the obvious pick but oh well. As a guy he seems like a good guy as GM-talent evaluator he should be unemployed which he is at that position.

hinsight is 20/20 buddy. it's easy to say who the best pick would have been 5 years later.

you keep making examples picks when Wanny had final say.

And Brees wasn't so obviouse, we just re-uped Jay's contract. Again, Wanny and Spiel did a terrible job with there handling of picks, that's why they are not employed in the NFL. But your still brushing over the fact that Rick was a decent talent evaluator.

Back
Top Bottom