Rookie Linebacker, Rookie QB: Who''d be the bigger bust? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rookie Linebacker, Rookie QB: Who''d be the bigger bust?

enigmatics

Go get me a juice box!
Reaction score
Here's an interesting topic.......... Who would be the bigger bust, a rookie linebacker or a rookie quarterback? Let's say that their drafted in the Top 5 or Top 10.

Personally, it's not even close. Given the massive importance inherently and blatantly placed upon the QB postion, they are by far and away the bigger busts.............this barring that it's not a No.1 pick. Any No.1 pick who doesn't make it is a massive bust.

This argument was brought to me by another poster in a thread about what we should do with our pick and the LB Derrick Johnson of Texas and QB's Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers were some of the names thrown around.

So second question I guess, who'd be the bigger bust if they failed........Smith, Rodgers, or Johnson?

Rookie quarterback, there is just more pressure on them and more for them to live up to. The quarterback basically has to be one of THE best players on the team. In addition, there is much more focus on them for having a mediocre game than if a LB was. I'd say the rookie QB is easily the higher bust in the probability charts.

NIMA said:
Rookie quarterback, there is just more pressure on them and more for them to live up to. The quarterback basically has to be one of THE best players on the team. In addition, there is much more focus on them for having a mediocre game than if a LB was. I'd say the rookie QB is easily the higher bust in the probability charts.

I'm with you.

I'd say they're about equal.

Think about it: we remember the Aundray Bruces and Brian Bosworths right alongside the Ryan Leafs and Rick Mirers, don't we?

Maybe you just hit on two of the highest-profile positions in this discussion.

NaboCane said:
I'd say they're about equal.

Think about it: we remember the Aundray Bruces and Brian Bosworths right alongside the Ryan Leafs and Rick Mirers, don't we?

Maybe you just hit on two of the highest-profile positions in this discussion.

I think that in determing the bigger bust, you have to look at the magnitude of the position. That's why I believe QB would be a bigger bust.

enigmatics said:
Here's an interesting topic.......... Who would be the bigger bust, a rookie linebacker or a rookie quarterback? Let's say that their drafted in the Top 5 or Top 10.

Personally, it's not even close. Given the massive importance inherently and blatantly placed upon the QB postion, they are by far and away the bigger busts.............this barring that it's not a No.1 pick. Any No.1 pick who doesn't make it is a massive bust.

This argument was brought to me by another poster in a thread about what we should do with our pick and the LB Derrick Johnson of Texas and QB's Alex Smitha and Aaron Rodgers were some of the names thrown around.

My comment was specific to those players, not generalities about the positions. I mentioned specific traits that are predictive of success that those players possessed. If you want to know which player is under more pressure, it's the QB. But pressure doesn't equal bust to me.

Derrick Johnson probably won't be a bust. Outside linebacker relies far too much on talent to produce too many busts.

top 10 drafted rookie linebackers are most probibly starting top 10 QBs will be on back up for alot of the year. Look at eli manning. It has taken hm time to develop but he has and he is going towards being a great QB

fear-the-d said:
top 10 drafted rookie linebackers are most probibly starting top 10 QBs will be on back up for alot of the year. Look at eli manning. It has taken hm time to develop but he has and he is going towards being a great QB
On top of that look at the impact that Jon Vilma and DJ Williams had on their respective teams last year.

anyone picked that high usually will be considered a bust pretty easy if they dont succeed... but a qb def gets it more than any other position, mostly an offensive guy will get it more than a defensive guy...
who you remember as a bust more ryan leaf or andre wadsworth? they were picked 2, and 3 in that 98 draft... but leaf is the one we remember eventhough they both were busts...

Back
Top Bottom