Rookie Linebacker, Rookie QB: Who''d be the bigger bust? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rookie Linebacker, Rookie QB: Who''d be the bigger bust?

I don't think position has anything to do with it. Any time you take a player as high as #2 overall, and give them the large contract that goes with it, either that player becomes a great asset to your team, or that player fails and sets your team back a season or two in the process

ghost of marino said:
I don't think position has anything to do with it. Any time you take a player as high as #2 overall, and give them the large contract that goes with it, either that player becomes a great asset to your team, or that player fails and sets your team back a season or two in the process

I disagree due to the nature and massive importance of the QB position in the NFL.

I think the way this question is phrased, because of the use of the word ROOKIE, the bigger bust would most DEFINITELY be a linebacker, not a quarterback. Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, expects a rookie QB to do well and lead his team to a championship. Even Peyton, who threw for more TDs I think than any rookie QB ever, he also threw a ton of interceptions and his team went 3-13 his rookie year. Ben Roethlisberger clearly fell off in his production toward the end of the season, and in the end, they won the Jets game despite him rather than because of him, and they lost the Pats game because they depended on him too much.

On the other hand, if you get a linebacker with the #2 pick in the draft and he doesn't even crack the starting lineup as a rookie? That may be considered the biggest bust in NFL history, at least for one full season it would be. We're talking Tony Mandarich bust.

I mean, do you consider Phil Rivers to be a bust? He hasn't played a down of meaningful football yet, but I would by no means consider him a bust. But, if you got a rookie linebacker at the #2 spot and he didn't even start, that would be a bust, most definitely.

Now, on the other hand, which position has potential over their career to be considered more of a bust, I would even argue that they are about the same. Linebacker isn't normally the kind of position worth investing a #2 pick in, there is rarely a player THAT special that you think he's the next Lawrence Taylor. On the other hand, QBs can go #2 in the draft just by default (see this year) because of how important the position is. If you set them both to zero production, as in the linebacker either never successfully cracks the starting lineup, or sucks when he does, and the quarterback never successfully wins a starting job and/or sucks when he does...well, the fact that there's a whole lot of instances of the latter happening, and not too many instances of the former happening, I might even say that the linebacker could be considered a bigger bust because you not only reached for a position that isn't generally considered important enough for the #2 pick, but you failed when you did do it. Using the #2 pick on a QB, even if he does end up failing, is widely considered a more worth it gamble if there's any indication that your #2 pick linebacker may end up not worth it.

At best, IMO, this question is flawed because what you're really getting at is which position drafted could negatively impact a team more, and the answer is easy a QB. But the reason is not necessarily related to the investment of a #2 pick. If a linebacker turns out to suck you know pretty fast and you can discard him and find someone that can play pretty decently pretty easy. If a QB sucks you're never quite sure whether the light just hasn't clicked on yet, whether he does actually suck, or whether you need to be doing something differently on offense to take better advantage of his areas of strength.

But as rookies, a linebacker who doesn't start but got selected at #2 would be considered BY FAR to be a bigger surprise bust.

deffenitly a rookie qb theres alot of pressure on him sence he touches the ball every offensive play

Well, most draft guru's will tell you that you have to wait 2-3 years to evaluate players. Even the top picks. Look at this year, Eli was touted as the second coming and had a mediocre-to-poor year. Rivers reported late and didn't get a chance...Big Ben was forced into the lineup and had a pretty good year...It's all a crap shoot...

enigmatics said:
I disagree due to the nature and massive importance of the QB position in the NFL.

I agree that QB is the most important single position, but a bust is a bust. It'd be just as bad if you took a kicker #1 overall and he bombed. The position has nothing at all to do with anything.

With a LBer bust you'll find out within one season or two at the most. A QB bust will almost surely take at least 4 seasons maybe even the full 6 years of his rookie contract before somebody will finally admit he is useless.

Drew Brees, a second round pick was given three years, before they gave up on him and drafted another QB, Now after what happened with him, what team is going to give up on a QB until after year four?.

4 years minimally of watching said QB hoping that light will come on....4 long years if that light never comes on. While drafts with more QBs come and go.

Financially you'd almost have to give a number 2 draft pick a full four years before you could make another major investment in a QB with a high draft pick.

The time and training wasted on a LBer flop would pale in comparison to a QB flop.

Considering the measures Drew Brees took this offseason to improve as a player, I personally believe there is some question as to whether or not Brees improved BECAUSE the Chargers had given up on him...he really underwent some dramatic training and improvement programs....in preparation for this season which would be his free agent season.

Back
Top Bottom