Running and defense wins championships | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

I get what your saying but a great QB never hurts so Id be looking for one along with trench players and a RB.
Dobbins is going to be good in the NFL I think...A Derrick Henry type that I would love the Fins to get in the draft.
So true. Even going way back to those great Dolphins teams of the 1970's Bob Griese could beat you.

Without that, even a great running game can be stopped.

Solid coaching and good game plans are not sustainable? Have you not watched the Patriots in the last 20 years. If that is not the definition of sustainable than I don't know what is.

Winning with "running and defense" as your engine is not sustainable. Winning on 4th and 1 and winning the TO margin 3-0 is not sustainable.

Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.
Definitely need to bolster our trenches and add some talent at the RB position. Great draft to find some talent at the position, I feel like there are a lot of quality running backs coming out this year.

Between the draft and FA I feel we can find some quality players to strengthen our O line. We also need help on defense but time. While we had some guys start shining second half of the season, still lots of work to do. I’m not hung up on finding just a qb, and totally agree with your post.

I see you fail to mention Kansas City, who most likely will be the AFC representative in the Super Bowl. Being able to throw it and scoring is the best way to sustain success over a long period of time. J-off-her-doll said it best in a previous post, it's not smart to make judgements in a single elimination game because it is such a small sample size. I actually heard people try to make the point that the defense was the difference in the Philadelphia vs. New England Super Bowl. A game that Brady threw for over 500 yrds. and scored 33points.

I didn’t fail to mention anybody. More teams got to the final 4 running the ball and playing defense. That’s the point. Running game and defense travels.

the ravens had the running game and defense but their QB is substandard. He can’t make all the NFL throws. If you gave tannehill the sideline like the titans have to Jackson, tannehill would of tore them up. Even so, w a weak armed QB, they were so good playing D AND running they got the first seed. Took a well coached team w a disciplined defense and running game to beat them.

Defense won that San Fran game. Qb exposure in tbe pass game from the pocket and as a result no real plan b won the ravens game.

Winning with "running and defense" as your engine is not sustainable. Winning on 4th and 1 and winning the TO margin 3-0 is not sustainable.
Why are you pretending that Tannehill wasn't the most efficient QB in the league this season? He averaged 2.2 TD passes per game (which would have been good for 2nd in the league if he played all 16 games) and 9.6 YPA.

Don't know enough about the college guys. But have to say I have missed for a long time those bruising RB's. The Czonkas, Campbell, Dickerson, Bettis. Older day Brown & Taylor (GB).

But you still need the OL and right surrounding players. It's not a Running or Def. It's a solid mixture of great talent all around and if you sprinkle in one or two super stars ....well you know.

If we fixed our OL it would not only make us better but would fill an essential need to even be able to fairly evaluate a QB....

Don't know a hell of a lot about him but find A J Dillion RB/FB very interesting

245 lbs 6 ft.
40 time 4.59
Could be a later rd pick 3-5 ...

Oh hell, I don't know crap. But it's going to be an extra exciting off season ( oh God unless they screw it up )

Sustainable is such a funky word.
The point was "solid coaching" and "good game plans". I know that the Titans success as a team with good coaching flubs your narrative of a "QB solves everything" but like I gave you the example NE - it can be sustainable.

Though while NE is an extreme example good coaching and solid game plans will always be above "one QB solves all".

The "winning on 4th and 1" and "winning on the TO margin of 3-0" is really a straw you like to cling on. "4th and 1" and winning the TO battle by 3-0 are just a by-product of good game planning. Be prepared for 4th and short and execute and win the turnover battle (avoid turnovers, create turnovers) with the latter being in every game plan for every NFL team since the game was played.
Win the turnover battle! How often have you heard that?

I think Flores is right about being multiple. There are games where you might be able to run it 40 times, but other situations where it makes sense to pass more.

I don't think you can necessarily go back to 1970's football over a long stretch of games.

However, its interesting to note that only a handful of teams ran the ball more than they passed it. I believe it was Minnesota, Baltimore and SF. All made the playoffs.

Sustainable is such a funky word.
The point was "solid coaching" and "good game plans". I know that the Titans success as a team with good coaching flubs your narrative of a "QB solves everything" but like I gave you the example NE - it can be sustainable.

Though while NE is an extreme example good coaching and solid game plans will always be above "one QB solves all".

The "winning on 4th and 1" and "winning on the TO margin of 3-0" is really a straw you like to cling on. "4th and 1" and winning the TO battle by 3-0 are just a by-product of good game planning. Be prepared for 4th and short and execute and win the turnover battle (avoid turnovers, create turnovers) with the latter being in every game plan for every NFL team since the game was played.
Win the turnover battle! How often have you heard that?

Dude, quit making **** up. Did you see the title of the thread? Did you read the posts that preceded the post you replied to? You really think anyone is arguing against coaching and game planning? Wtf are we doing here?

Back
Top Bottom