Running and defense wins championships | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Why are you pretending that Tannehill wasn't the most efficient QB in the league this season? He averaged 2.2 TD passes per game (which would have been good for 2nd in the league if he played all 16 games) and 9.6 YPA.

I'm not . . .? The thread is literally titled Running and defense wins championships, and I've been arguing against that idea.

Good thing there are several elite RBs in the draft this year. Miami has got to draft at least one of them.

Sustainable is such a funky word.
The point was "solid coaching" and "good game plans". I know that the Titans success as a team with good coaching flubs your narrative of a "QB solves everything" but like I gave you the example NE - it can be sustainable.

Though while NE is an extreme example good coaching and solid game plans will always be above "one QB solves all".

The "winning on 4th and 1" and "winning on the TO margin of 3-0" is really a straw you like to cling on. "4th and 1" and winning the TO battle by 3-0 are just a by-product of good game planning. Be prepared for 4th and short and execute and win the turnover battle (avoid turnovers, create turnovers) with the latter being in every game plan for every NFL team since the game was played.
Win the turnover battle! How often have you heard that?

Be prepared for 4th and short. ****ing brilliant. Good thing Tennessee's coaches thought of that.

Scherff and Biadasz would make a great right Interior.

Scherff and Daryl Williams would be an upgrade from what we now have...wait for Humphreys next draft. Kilgor and Boehm will have to do.

Deiter moves to reserve LG/LT after we draft Becton and Kindley.

A physical defense and a physical running game are a tried and true method of winning football games. The thing is that you won’t be consistently contending year in and year out without an elite qb.

Dude, quit making **** up. Did you see the title of the thread? Did you read the posts that preceded the post you replied to? You really think anyone is arguing against coaching and game planning? Wtf are we doing here?
Same thing you are expressing his opinion. There is no one way to win. You don’t have all the right answers. In fact you have no right answers just your uneducated opinion. Saying flexibility and good game plannings most important, is just as valid as saying defense and running wins championships. I happen to agree with his opinion.

Why are you pretending that Tannehill wasn't the most efficient QB in the league this season? He averaged 2.2 TD passes per game (which would have been good for 2nd in the league if he played all 16 games) and 9.6 YPA.

My man, you are so hard up to defend Tannehill that you will do it when he is not even the topic of the conversation. The conversation is about philosophy, not an individual player.

Same thing you are expressing his opinion. There is no one way to win. You don’t have all the right answers. In fact you have no right answers just your uneducated opinion. Saying flexibility and good game plannings most important, is just as valid as saying defense and running wins championships. I happen to agree with his opinion.

I would say it is far from an uneducated opinion. No offense eric, but J-off s by far one of the more knowledgeable people when discussing football, not just on this forum.

I am not sure how you can say the Ravens offense is limited. especially when that LIMITED offense averaged over 30 points a game. The 49ers have also basically built their defense and offensive lines and they are winning with a very mediocre QB.

Green Bay finally realized that they needed a much better defense if they were going to have a chance of winning a SB while Rogers is still playing at a high level. Yet I don’t give the Packers much of a chance of even getting to the SB if they win today because I believe the 49ers will beat them next week because the 49ers have a much better defense and running game.

The Dolphins never won a SB while Marino was the QB because they never developed a solid running game and they never had a dominant defense during the time he was the Dolphins QB.

I will take a solid but not great QB, with a great OL and a top 10 defense over a franchise QB and a mediocre defense and below average OL any day of the week. That is why I would prefer to see the Dolphins use their draft picks and cap money to build the OL and defense and not draft a QB who will likely be out injured for the entire 2020 season.

Because they have a qb that can't accurately throw the ball therefore the offense is limited.

Front runner gameplan and qb skill set exposed in Baltimore last night.

pre snap and progression read. Still the gold standard.

I agree, he left a lot of plays on the field yesterday, IDC how many yards he passed for, also the Ravens front 7 also looked small yesterday the Titan OL and Henry destroyed them.

I have no problem with drafting a QB late first or early second and letting them sit behind Fitz this year. Get the line and RB and we can make the playoffs

So, Baltimore had the top running game and the 4th rated defense in the NFL. They set a record for rushing during the regular season. So if running and defense win championships...then why is Baltimore not in the AFC championship?

Well, they got behind...it is simple as that. They did not have the QB or the structure to play from behind. It would have happened to Tennessee as well if Baltimore got a 14 point lead. These mid-level qbs begin to press and when that happens they make mistakes...

One reason why I wouldn't want to build my team around a running game is everything has to be perfect to win. If you get behind the sticks with a middling qb you're probably going to fail more times than not.

God forbid you lose your mojo and the running game regresses then you're stuck with a meh qb. To many variables have to be perfect for it to work for multiple seasons.

I would’ve liked more guys in the box for Baltimore. Put pressure on RT17. Blitz the heck out of him and make him beat you on the road.

I don't know what the count was in the box, but in the game thread, i predicted that's what Baltimore should do. Stack the box with as much guys as possible and force Tannehill to win and be the difference maker.
Now with that said, I have a hard time believing Baltimore didn't do that originally.

Another difference is Baltimore seemed to play single high, i believe it was Earl Thomas, which made the P.A. stuff a lot easier to read for Tannehill.
Notice that wasn't the same for Tannehill vs. NE and whatever they were doing in the secondary.

All that being said D.Henry is a very unique RB. Some think you can just stick any RB back there with that OL and duplicate his success. All they'd have to do is watch what happens when his back-up comes in, D.Lewis, to know it's not even remotely the same.

D.Henry's size, power, suprisingly quick feet and agility, coupled with vision and burst is some rare rare stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom