"Running On Empty" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Running On Empty"

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Good tune but, an unfortunate description of our Phins ability to run the ball. We absolutely SUCKED. Pouncey was about average last year after being good in the past, and everyone else on the OL, as well as all our TE's were a disater when it came to run blocking.

Miller and DT were OK with "No Where To Run" but could have been better in hitting the holes for the one or two times a game they were there. They both were pretty much hitting their heads against brick walls over, and over. and over again. Makes my head hurt to think of what they went through last year.

So, now what to do? We have to try to replace maybe four guys on the OL, when we had trouble replacing one or two in the past. This is no easy task. Even with lots of talent, the OL has to work together more than any part of the team, and will take time.

Do we still look at an Albert, who is not very good on the run in spite of KC's talent or, look to above average guys on the OL who are good but not great at pass blocking, as well as run blocking?

Do we look to replace Miller and DT or, give them another shot to show what they can do with a bit of blocking?

In FA there is nothing great to sign. Joique Bell is pass then run as a 3rd down back. Blunt from NE is a run and block guy. Mareno from Denver is a pass and run 3rd down back. Brown from Indy is a run pass guy. After that there is not much out there. Not sure if Bradshaw can come up with another VG year after another injury but, Damn can that guy block.

I'm thinking we stay with what we have, and maybe add a Bradshaw type or FB/short yardage guy.

Thoughts?

The team's number of yards per carry wasn't any worse than the league average.

It was the percentage of the time it ran the ball that was poor and misguided.

There's no reason to believe that a normal percentage of runs wouldn't have resulted in a normal amount of rushing yards.

The team's number of yards per carry wasn't any worse than the league average.

It was the percentage of the time it ran the ball that was poor and misguided.

There's no reason to believe that a normal percentage of runs wouldn't have resulted in a normal amount of rushing yards.

Yeah, I guess you're right. My watching the OL on tape and seeing them get destroyed on run plays the vast majority of times, and giving our RB no where to go does not matter. The "Almighty Computer" has a differentt point of view.

Tell "HAL" it's time to shot up or, shut down. DOES NOT COMPUTE. LOL

Frequent running cleanses the offensive line and the quarterback. All the Tannehill adjusters will be partially there if we simply run the ball a normal number of times.

I hope our new coordinator takes advantage of the new college tendency of hurrying up to run the ball. Only Belichick in the NFL seems to grasp how successful that can be. New England uses it after a big play or after entering the red zone.

I bet Barry Switzer is kicking himself for not using uptempo running during the wishbone heyday at Oklahoma. That could have extended that era several more years, at minimum. Imagine the dilemma and fatigue for the defense in assignment mode against the triple option when that offense hustles to the line and pounds you time and again.

There are a variety of ways to run the ball, and a variety of value. For example coaches in the GB circle all belive it's more about rush attempts than production. Well we didn't do that, so there's a play calling issue if you're going to subscribe to that theory. You line has to perform. They don't have to be great but they need to make some space. Our line was a shambles all year. Your plays need to help create gaps. Not just the line moving dudes around but motion and misdirection can help open gaps for a running back to exploit. See how Philly did it this year. Finally your RB need to be decisive. If you totalled up all the sideways running our guys did they probably topped 1000 yards total. Pick a spot and go all out.

Yeah, I guess you're right. My watching the OL on tape and seeing them get destroyed on run plays the vast majority of times, and giving our RB no where to go does not matter. The "Almighty Computer" has a differentt point of view.

That should be readily revealed in the numbers, then, yet it is not.

Should we resolve that discrepancy with the notion that the objective evidence is in error, and the almighty "Southbeach 2" on a message board is an omniscient being, incapable of error?

Frequent running cleanses the offensive line and the quarterback. All the Tannehill adjusters will be partially there if we simply run the ball a normal number of times.

I hope our new coordinator takes advantage of the new college tendency of hurrying up to run the ball. Only Belichick in the NFL seems to grasp how successful that can be. New England uses it after a big play or after entering the red zone..

I said nothing on running the ball a normal number of times. I did say that I saw in every game, the OL being buried in run blocking. It was a matter of picking up a few yards here and there as opposed to nothing or negative yardage, which woulda given RT a better shot of a 1st down or making a play.

That should be readily revealed in the numbers, then, yet it is not.

Should we resolve that discrepancy with the notion that the objective evidence is in error, and the almighty "Southbeach 2" on a message board is an omniscient being, incapable of error?

No, we should not. You and HAL pick a recent game to make your point, and I will disprove it play by play. That's fair, No?

Why is this even a thread. Our team could not pass or run block. Anyone trying to say anything different is spining big time.

Ozzy rules!!

Well now wait a minute, isn't circumscribing the analysis to "recent" a form of cherry-picking?

Stop it. I posted a recent game, and if you and HAL don't wanna play, just say so. You both know you will lose.

HUMANS STILL RULE, at least for now.

Stop it. I posted a recent game, and if you and HAL don't wanna play, just say so. You both know you will lose.

HUMANS STILL RULE, at least for now.

Becareful...Skynet is watching and waiting

Exactly!

Good to see you are a quick learner...:ponder: :chuckle:

It's almost never the first run that gets the good yardage. What would Ricky Williams career numbers be like if he always sat on the bench in the 2nd half?

Back
Top Bottom