Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by motormouthmaz, Aug 9, 2017.

1. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

These conditions are easy to judge when we quantify Cutler's achievements as a Super Bowl win or Championship win.

The reality of the real decision may be a lot murkier.

What if he matches RT's record and also loses in the 1st playoff game, then what?

What if he wins a playoff game, then what?

The reality is it could come down to near mirror performances and only a few differentiating details; age or injury status.

I think it is also more realistic that RT would not renegotiate. But Cutler is on a 1 year deal.

So, what if it comes down to RT returning as the starter, cutting Moore and convincing Cutler to stay and hold the clipboard a few more years. It is not the best financial situation, but might be the realistic bridge to finish RT's contract and begin grooming a draft pick.

That's how complicated I think this decision will ultimately become. I think everyone has picked the wrong QB as the one that would be cut. I think Moore is the obvious casualty and the challenge becomes keeping Cutler around ala Bernie Kosar.

2. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

Cutler (who I am not a fan of) can give you enough years to bring in a rookie that is if he wins this year.

RT has a bum wheel and will miss the entire season. I don't know what his cap hit is next year, but you really don't know what you are getting back. Those 2016 numbers may have been his best but they are far from elite.

Again with the pros and cons if Cutler wins its Gases GUY that will get the nod.

Yessir likes this.
  3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Well, that's not gonna happen.

4. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

When at any time, during any pre-season of Jay Cutler's career did fans talk about Superbowls?

Here's what I'm praying for:

- He plays well enough to have us at 4-1 or 6-2 first half-ish of season.

- RT comes back and takes over. No surgery, no "who's our QB next year" debate.

When you retire from the game, you're heart can't be in it except for the money part. Then again, i wonder how much this guy's heart has ever been in it. Then there's this: he isn't good. He will play well in spurts only to follow it up with a bumbling, stumbling turnover-laden performance where interceptions and fumbles are handed out like candy on Halloween.

I really can't see Cutler managing the type of game that will be required to beat the likes of a NE. He will press instead of taking what the D gives. I hope I'm wrong and the fact we are a run-first team is going to help. We can still be a playoff team. I just struggle believing this guy has the mental makeup to manage complete football games, game in and game out.

5. fakespike

fakespike Starter

What's crazy talk is the Dolphins winning the super bowl. If you preface your argument with that, you're talking outlandish circumstances that don't really warrant discussion.

Bufeo likes this.
  6. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

The only way Gase dumps on Tannehill is if Cutler wins a Super Bowl. Shy of that Ryan will be starting next year.

7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Hey it beats all of this entitled negativity anytime someone tries to prop up the next guy attempting to play QB for the Fins not named Ryan Tannehill.

There are circumstances where Jay Cutler can absolutely make this a conversation heading into 2018. I don't expect that to happen but that doesn't mean I have to turn a blind eye to it or root against it.

Funny thing is, there is an even more outlandish thread on the front page talking about what if Ryan Tannehill comes back this year and people seem to be discussing it just fine . . .welcome to pre regular season forum conversation.

Judging by your recent posting history you just plain out don't like Jay Cutler, which is your choice. I don't know a ton about him, really based on alot of stuff others say about him, but Adam Gase likes him and has history with him, so that has merit with me. I know he has got a hell of an arm and hopefully a huge chip on his shoulder to prove his doubters wrong.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  8. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

If Cutler plays well, trade Tanny for a nice pick or two, and then draft Baker Mayfield(
    ) and Logan Woodside...

Then tag Landry and after he threatens a holdout, trade him for a nice pick or two.

Then you cut a few vets who are overpaid and you have the table set for a massively successful off season.

9. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

This post made me laugh.

Keep Tannehill. Draft a QB in the top three rounds in 2018.

10. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Look at what happened to Tom Berenger's career after that. Maybe not the best comparison.

11. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

If anybody offers me a 1st for Tannehill next offseason, I'm taking it.

12. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

He ran out a bunt in the ALCS that helped them win the pennant and had some Rene Russo buns later that evening. Seems like the old guy did well on that team.

Unless you mean the actor literally, but he certainly hasn't had a problem finding work since 1989. Maybe nothing like Platoon but its been decent.

Still a classic movie and hopefully something we can relate to this year.

Dolphindrew likes this.
  13. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

If we win the Super Bowl w/ Cutler, I may retire as a Dolfan. Bow out while on top just like what Cutler would most likely do.

Spiff likes this.
  14. Notso

Notso Well-Known Member

No matter how good Cutler is this year, even if he puts up 60 td's 8000 yards, i'll always think "Tannehill would have done better" I guess you can tell where my loyalties lie.

TannDaMan17 and Kdawg954 like this.
  15. Kdawg954

That is as honest as you can get and perfectly fine. There are a lot of people on this site who have that same mindset but aren't as willing to be so blunt about it.

CaneHammer and Notso like this.
  16. scodoublet

scodoublet Anywhere. Anytime. Donator

Luckily for Cutler and unlucky for Tanne, the offense "seems" improved all around.
    So, this year, Tanne should have had a good year, but now Cutler is running the show, so he should do fairly well, I hope.

Ray R likes this.
  17. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

It's a business and business conditions change. There is nothing keeping Tannehill in Miami next year, his contract is very sheddable and now he has an injury history. I can say one thing I don't care if Cutler makes the pro-bowl and Tannehill comes back better than ever........I want to draft a QB next year now. I've been thinking about this for some time now and there is no conclusion where I don't take a QB in at least round 2.

Snoop and Kdawg954 like this.
  18. Kdawg954

I'd say at round 4 at the latest no matter what happens, but if we just get horrid QB play this year and have a poor year, I'd move QB to the top of the list and draft one in the first round and go into 2018 with Ryan and that pick in a legit QB battle.

We blew a first and a second on Dion Jordan, we can spend a first on a QB that would solidify our back QB position and give us major insurance with Ryan in case he has another setback.

NY8123 likes this.
  19. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

This is Ryan's team. He will start 2018.

Unless Cutty (and im rooting for him, hes talented) takes us to conference champ/SB, then he will not be here in 2018 unless he decides to be a backup, which wont happen.

Jay Cutler wont do anything RT didnt display last year. He was making plays and playing at high level. He was blossoming. Even when he went down, the TEAM still made the playoffs.

Draft a QB early next year regardless.

But this is still Ryan's team for the next 5 years. imo.

20. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Trent Dilfer

Goin` Deep likes this.
  21. Kdawg954

Kudos to Miami if they can field a 2000 Ravens type defense this year and Cutler just needs to be a trusted game manager and not a game changer at the position.

22. FinfanInBuffalo

Just saying that it can and did happen. If Cutler looks no better (or even worse), in the coaches eyes, than what Tannehill was doing last season, and they still win the SB, then you go with the younger guy.

23. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

That's about as likely to happen as Cutler making the Pro-Bowl. Don't get me wrong in my head both occur but...........

24. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

If Cutler does bring us to the playoffs, anything can happen.

We learned a couple weeks ago anything can happen good or bad.

It's going to be different but man does he have a ****load of weapons to guide him to the playoffs.

I also highly doubt our defense is as terrible as last year. (Worst in franchise history)

Cutler would have to be Pennington like (finish 2nd in MVP Voting) or Tannehill's knee never recovers for Jay to stay. I just hope this woke up the staff to draft a QB to groom next year.

Still very excited and optimistic. Crazier things have happened than a playoff team going back to the playoffs with a new QB. I guess we'll see hopefully tonight!!

PHINS UP!!

Ray R likes this.
  25. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

5 years? I doubt that. He could be gone by March. If he was that good we wouldn't be questioning whether we should keep him at his salary, have him take a pay cut, trade him or release him.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  26. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

With the talent at the skill position, Miami could do pretty well with Jay Cutler. I don't think would mean the end for Ryan Tannehill, though.

It might change the teams' thinking in the draft because Matt Moore isn't getting younger and the Dolphins might want a higher upside guy to challenge Tannehill as well.

27. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

imo, Tannehill isn't so much considering his NFL career as he is his post-NFL career; dude is pre-med A&M, so taking the Hippocratic still looms. does he wanna be an able walking physician or a cane-enabled one?

28. FinfanInBuffalo

I read post after post after post about bringing guys in to challenge Tannehill, even using a high draft pick. I ask anyone to point out the legitimate challengers (i..e. 1st - 3rd rounds) that where brought in to compete with or groom behind these QBs:

Never won anything:
    - Stafford
    - Palmer
    - Bortles
    - Bradford
    - Cousins
    - Taylor
    - Dalton

Aging veterans or past their prime:
    - Brees
    - Flacco
    - Rivers
    - Roethlisberger
    - Rodgers

How about this guy returning from injury:
    - Luck

Here are the teams that used a high pick this year on a QB

Cleveland picked Kizer in round 2. They didn't have an NFL QB on the roster
    Houston picked Watson in round 1. They didn't have an NF QB on the roster.
    Chicago picked Trubisky in round 1. They didn't have an NFL QB on the roster.
    SF picked Beathard in round 3. They didn't have an NFL QB on the roster.
    KC picked Mahomes in round 1. They have Alex Smith entering his 13th year.
    NYG pick Webb in round 3. They have Manning entering his 14th year.

NINETEEN teams could have legitimately made the case for drafting a QB in rounds 1 - 3 this year. SIX team did it and FOUR of the six did not have an NFL quality QB on the roster. Two had QBs entering his 13th or 14th year. Those teams were 11-5 and 12-4.

Teams just don't do what gets regularly suggested on this site. Teams DO NOT use high picks on QBs unless they absolutely need one very soon or they can clearly see the end of the line for the current QB and they have a decent team already (they can afford to use the pick).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Gsmack_42 and Stoobz like this.
  29. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

So who would Gase prefer, the QB that is overly aggressive, and needs to be controlled because he tends to throw too many dumb INTs, or the QB that needs to just be a bit more aggressive, but rarely throws dumb INTs.

Unless Cutler has an epic year, when Tannehill is ready, it's his team...that goes also if the unimaginable happens, and Miami win the SB, because I am sure Gase will think he can do it again with the younger Tannehill with little no problem.

30. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Actually what the question should be, does he want to be a Football player or Doctor more? One does pay much much better then the other.

31. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

bottom line we need draft a qb next yr...just like kc did this yr in draft. . we can make playoff w jc6, or rt17 and still get beat in first round.

32. FinfanInBuffalo

Bottom line, that would be stupid.

33. TanneChamp17

TanneChamp17 Active Member

At this point, after another fairly major knee injury, I think we need to move on. If we don't move on (regardless of what Cutler does this year), we are going to be stuck with a mediocre team for the next 3 years. Tannehill has taken too many hits in his career thanks to this oline and his poor pocket awareness. I doubt Tannehill plays beyond 35 years old. If he was a few years younger, I'd be willing to stick with him. I don't think he is going to live up to what we though he was going to. I mean, I thought this was going to be the year, so the knee injury is unfortunate, not sure there could have been worse timing on this one.

Best case scenario, Cutler does really well, we got to the playoffs, win a game or two. Cutler sticks around and continues to play well while we draft and develop a young QB.

More likely to happen is we don't have a great season, and cutler leaves. Or we do have a great season, and he leaves anyway.

This knee injury to Tannehill altered the franchise future heavily in my opinion.

34. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

"I thought this was going to be the year"
    "I think we need to move on"

I dont understand how you can say that in the same post. If you truly think a guy has put it all together and is poised for great things, you dont dump him. BB will get ahold of him as Brady's successor and haunt you.

He didnt have another injury. He re-injured the same one that clearly wasnt stable. His treatment for it didnt work. He just needs the surgery and he will be good to go next year. Then youll have a 31 yr old QB with experience and a chip on his shoulder.

Draft a qb to replace MM.

35. Kdawg954

Ahh yes, nothing instills confidence like hoping a 30 year old QB with no playoff experience coming off another knee injury, having not played a game since December 2016, to just pick up where he left off in September 2018. There should be no worries about reinjury or how mentally challenging this will be for him to not only rehab AGAIN but the way he thinks on the field in regards to his knee.

I'm all for him being the guy in 2018 but people have EVERY right to have their doubts in him being able to come back and be the same QB that was on the cusp of entering a higher level in 2016. He certainly may be but Miami would be foolish to think its an inevitable fact that he will be.

TanneChamp17 likes this.
  36. FinfanInBuffalo

Sounds like you want them to use the San Diego strategy. Draft a guy in the first round before you are sure about the current starter. Then have no choice but to dump the current starter and watch him win a SB somewhere else.

37. Kdawg954

You know, for somebody who gets all worked up when people mention Aaron Rodgers as an example of drafting a first round QB when a starter is in place . . . You sure do a good job of cherry picking examples yourself.

First Dilfer as a rare case, now the Brees/Rivers thing. Guess we do what we can to support our POV.

38. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

It's clear to me...if Cutler proves to be an upgrade over Tannehill...and Cutler wants to continue his career with Gase...that it means releasing Tannehill and drafting Cutler's replacement in 2018 or 2019...Possibly taking shots in both drafts at various points in those drafts.

However...Cutler could fail...and Tannehill could be back on place for 2018..let's let it play out and see what happens...enjoy the ride.

39. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I know everyone likes to think that Adam Gase came to Miami because of Tannehill and that he fully believes in Tannehill but for whatever reason I think Gase still has a better relationship with Cutler and will be more loyal to Cutler. maybe its because he has known Cutler longer? I don't know, that's just the impression/feeling I have. So if Cutler is even somewhat successfull this year, I do believe that means Bye Bye Tannehill (hopefully we can trade him and get something in return) and I could see Gase drafting a QB next year in what appears to be potentially a deep QB class.

40. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Can we worry about tomorrow's problems tomorrow?