Scout:"Flynn better than game-manager, but less than a franchise QB"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Mar 5, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

One pro personnel man assigned to study Matt Flynn called the free agent a "dink and dunk quarterback" lacking deep-ball arm strength.

The same personnel man docked Flynn for holding the ball too long against the Patriots and missing a few plays downfield versus the Lions. The consensus among personnel men canvassed by the National Football Post is that Flynn is "better than a game manager, but less than a franchise QB." It's going to take a leap of faith from a franchise to make a major investment in Flynn.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

2. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

I would but that. Some qb desperate franchise is going to break the bank for Flynn I just hope it is not us!

3. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Merely an opinion. I know there are some QBs out there when young you just know they're franchise guys. The others? You have to see them become that. To accomplish that, you need to give them the experience they need to prove whether or not they're franchise guys.

4. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

After 12 years of doing that:

Feidler
    Greise
    Green
    Dumbte
    Beck
    Pennington
    Lemon
    Henne
    Moore
    White
    Sage
    McCown
    And the list goes on

As a franchise the Dolphins can't afford to use that theory.

5. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Its time to fix the QB position once and for all on this team...nothing is more important. Sign Manning or Flynn and draft a QB of the future.

6. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

He missed throws in the Lions game? Still threw 6 tds?

7. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

i wish philbin could discuss here.

8. russianbear

russianbear A True Fan

I've heard the dink and dunk QB thing before, and after watching the two games he played in I can't disagree with that or the deep ball arm strength thing. Philbin won't sign Flynn unless he knows those are improvable, or expects to run a system that would be based around that. Short throws, quick tempo, etc. However since he's made public they are going for a very vertical offensive scheme, maybe this whole Flynn to MIA thing is starting to become a little less likely.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

If Flynn is a "dink and dunk" quarterback that doesn't have a deep arm, then evidently Peyton Manning even pre-injury was a severely limited quarterback that had no deep ball.

This is a scout that has been "assigned to study Flynn"...right? That would sort of imply that this is a team that might be interested in Flynn as a free agent, no? No wonder he's talking him down in the press. The more he talks him down the more the team can hope to keep his price tag low in free agency.

10. ckparrothead

For the record in the two games that Matt Flynn started, he completed 5 of 11 passes for 216 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs on his passes that went 20+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. So...

11. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

I'm just glad Philbin has more than two game films to draw his opinion from

12. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

:lol:

A scout assigned to Flynn, hmm, wonder why :idk:

13. islandah

islandah FinHeaven VIP

Gosh, if only we had someone that really knew Flynn inside and out, worked with him intimately for the past few years, knew how he'd play in the specific offense we'll be running, maybe even his past offensive coordinator...that's who I'd want making the call...... Ooohh. Right. That would be our new head coach.

14. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

flynn, manning, rg3.... ill be happy! if we sign manning then i think tannehill will be drafted.. personal oppinion

15. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller Scout Team

One scouting report on Tom Brady coming out of college was: "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm."

I will trust Philbin on this one.

16. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

"More than a game manager, less than a franchise QB" ?? Sounds like Matt Ryan (but if we sign him, hopefully without the choke gene) :idk:

17. ckparrothead

I think there are a lot of really good QBs in the game that various people would describe as "more than a game manager, less than a franchise QB". The only ones that I can for sure think of that would definitely not be called that by someone would be Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.

18. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

That's my line of thinking.

19. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

I've been saying the dude reminds me of Mark Brunell. Brunell was a solid QB, maybe not a franchise guy, but he was definitely pretty awesome and got the job done, more than the clown car we've been trotting out can say.

20. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

I dont understand why everyone thinks they know what kind of player Matt Flynn is. He's only played 1 NFL game EVER, and he's probably going to cost a lot. Why is everyone so hung up on this guy? Do people really think he is that much better than Matt Moore?

21. ckparrothead

Yes he's better than Matt Moore. He's also played more than just 1 NFL game. You strike me as a guy trying to make a case about a guy without having done any research.

22. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

OK he's played in about 2 and a half games....but only 1 game last year. Such a small body of work for a guy that people assume will be a franchise QB.

23. DuderinoN703

I was speaking about NFL teams in general, not just the Dolphins. Even with them, half the guys you mentioned weren't brought in as franchise guys.

24. DuderinoN703

Eli Manning is more than a game manager

25. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

I'm starting to get the impression you want flynn

26. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

How is he better than matt moore?do you have proof?it sounds like an opinion to me and your saying it like its a fact...

27. CedarPhin

The only ones who were really looked at as "franchise" guys were AJ Feeley (by Huizenga), Culpepper (by Saban), Beck (by Cameron), and Henne (by Sparano). Fiedler was seen as a "safe" QB, and was (I guess) an upgrade over Damon Huard. Green was brought in as a concussed bridge to Beck, Griese was looked at as an upgrade over Fiedler, Pennington was a bridge to Henne, Cleo Lemon was depth, ditto for Matt Moore. Pat White was the result of an experimental draft choice, a "luxury 2nd rounder" by Bill Parcells, Rosenfels was depth, same for McCown. None of them, other than the first four, were brought in with the understanding that they'd be a franchise QB for us.

The majority were brought in with the philosophy of "playing safe" and having that "veteran presence" for the locker room, kind of like the SF Giants' takes on position players in MLB.

We do our "due diligence", kick the tires a bit, and admire some QB prospects from afar. That's the current state of the Miami QB conundrum.

28. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

aj feely and kevin kolb looked good in qb friendly systems and then shat the bed elsewhere...just sayin...

29. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Philbin says he wants a guy who gets the ball out quick. I think Flynn fits that description whether it be a crossing pattern or a screen pass. The idea behind the so=called west coast O is that depending on whether its press, man to man, or zone, the recievers stop in the hole or keep running in order to take it to the house.

I think Flynn displayed this very well in the Detroit game. He showed his coming of age and GB was completely confident in him for the whole game. You can argue arm strength, but if he gets the ball to the spot early, making his reads/progressions, isn't this the thing that makes great Qb's great? Decision making. Thats why the pecking order is Manning, Flynn, RG3/Tannehill. The last two are unkowns in that dept. at the next level.

30. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I read that earlier at the NFP Sunday Blitz.
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

31. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

That has been said many times before. Feeley and Kolb both came from Andy Reid's version of the WCO and neither went to a team that ran a similar offense.

Unlike Feeley, if Flynn was to come to Miami, he would be in a system he has some familiarity to which should lesson his boom or bust curve.

32. ckparrothead

I concur with this personnel director.

33. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

A scout assigned to study Flynn going to the media about negatives in Flynn's game. I would think it's pretty obvious what's going on here...

34. CedarPhin

He's got flaws in his game?

35. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

Ouch, the truth hurts! Dis you happen to notice that a lot of the people who are bashing Flynn are also Matt Ryan fan boys??? How ironic.