Scout:"Flynn better than game-manager, but less than a franchise QB" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scout:"Flynn better than game-manager, but less than a franchise QB"

"More than a game manager, less than a franchise QB" ?? Sounds like Matt Ryan (but if we sign him, hopefully without the choke gene) :idk:

I think there are a lot of really good QBs in the game that various people would describe as "more than a game manager, less than a franchise QB". The only ones that I can for sure think of that would definitely not be called that by someone would be Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.

I've been saying the dude reminds me of Mark Brunell. Brunell was a solid QB, maybe not a franchise guy, but he was definitely pretty awesome and got the job done, more than the clown car we've been trotting out can say.

I dont understand why everyone thinks they know what kind of player Matt Flynn is. He's only played 1 NFL game EVER, and he's probably going to cost a lot. Why is everyone so hung up on this guy? Do people really think he is that much better than Matt Moore?

I dont understand why everyone thinks they know what kind of player Matt Flynn is. He's only played 1 NFL game EVER, and he's probably going to cost a lot. Why is everyone so hung up on this guy? Do people really think he is that much better than Matt Moore?

Yes he's better than Matt Moore. He's also played more than just 1 NFL game. You strike me as a guy trying to make a case about a guy without having done any research.

Yes he's better than Matt Moore. He's also played more than just 1 NFL game. You strike me as a guy trying to make a case about a guy without having done any research.

OK he's played in about 2 and a half games....but only 1 game last year. Such a small body of work for a guy that people assume will be a franchise QB.

After 12 years of doing that:

Feidler
Greise
Green
Dumbte
Beck
Pennington
Lemon
Henne
Moore
White
Sage
McCown
And the list goes on

As a franchise the Dolphins can't afford to use that theory.

I was speaking about NFL teams in general, not just the Dolphins. Even with them, half the guys you mentioned weren't brought in as franchise guys.

I think there are a lot of really good QBs in the game that various people would describe as "more than a game manager, less than a franchise QB". The only ones that I can for sure think of that would definitely not be called that by someone would be Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.

Eli Manning is more than a game manager

For the record in the two games that Matt Flynn started, he completed 5 of 11 passes for 216 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs on his passes that went 20+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. So...

I'm starting to get the impression you want flynn

How is he better than matt moore?do you have proof?it sounds like an opinion to me and your saying it like its a fact...

I was speaking about NFL teams in general, not just the Dolphins. Even with them, half the guys you mentioned weren't brought in as franchise guys.

The only ones who were really looked at as "franchise" guys were AJ Feeley (by Huizenga), Culpepper (by Saban), Beck (by Cameron), and Henne (by Sparano). Fiedler was seen as a "safe" QB, and was (I guess) an upgrade over Damon Huard. Green was brought in as a concussed bridge to Beck, Griese was looked at as an upgrade over Fiedler, Pennington was a bridge to Henne, Cleo Lemon was depth, ditto for Matt Moore. Pat White was the result of an experimental draft choice, a "luxury 2nd rounder" by Bill Parcells, Rosenfels was depth, same for McCown. None of them, other than the first four, were brought in with the understanding that they'd be a franchise QB for us.

The majority were brought in with the philosophy of "playing safe" and having that "veteran presence" for the locker room, kind of like the SF Giants' takes on position players in MLB.

We do our "due diligence", kick the tires a bit, and admire some QB prospects from afar. That's the current state of the Miami QB conundrum.

aj feely and kevin kolb looked good in qb friendly systems and then shat the bed elsewhere...just sayin...

Philbin says he wants a guy who gets the ball out quick. I think Flynn fits that description whether it be a crossing pattern or a screen pass. The idea behind the so=called west coast O is that depending on whether its press, man to man, or zone, the recievers stop in the hole or keep running in order to take it to the house.

I think Flynn displayed this very well in the Detroit game. He showed his coming of age and GB was completely confident in him for the whole game. You can argue arm strength, but if he gets the ball to the spot early, making his reads/progressions, isn't this the thing that makes great Qb's great? Decision making. Thats why the pecking order is Manning, Flynn, RG3/Tannehill. The last two are unkowns in that dept. at the next level.

One pro personnel man assigned to study Matt Flynn called the free agent a "dink and dunk quarterback" lacking deep-ball arm strength.

The same personnel man docked Flynn for holding the ball too long against the Patriots and missing a few plays downfield versus the Lions. The consensus among personnel men canvassed by the National Football Post is that Flynn is "better than a game manager, but less than a franchise QB." It's going to take a leap of faith from a franchise to make a major investment in Flynn.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

I read that earlier at the NFP Sunday Blitz.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Aside from a 35-year old with a neck problem and the guy who got benched for Tim Tebow, the veteran market for starting quarterbacks is pretty barren. “Flynn will be a hot item because of the system he came from, and the fact he’s played well,” said an NFC front office man who could be in the market for a quarterback. “It’s not a really good year for college quarterbacks after the top two. It depends if someone thinks they can get a quarterback in the draft or if they’ll have to overpay for one in free agency.”

The NFC front office man was one of five NFL men I spoke with who either have studied Flynn, worked with Flynn, or game planned against him. Each of them like some things about Flynn. But none of them would feel completely comfortable making a major investment in a player with two starts.

“I like him,” said one general manager. “But I’m not all in.”

Some of what Flynn has accomplished might be the result of being with great coaches and in an ideal system. He might not be the same player out of the Green Bay cocoon.

What Flynn has been isn’t nearly as significant as what he can be. In order to predict what he can be, we have to look at his skill set.

One thing that separates Flynn from Rodgers and other elite quarterbacks is he does not have a big arm. “He lacks deep balls strength,” the pro personnel man said. “He’s more of a dink and dunk quarterback.”

Said a personnel director, “It’s a better arm than you think, but it’s not great. He won’t drive it vertically like Rodgers.”

Back
Top Bottom