Scout's view on the McMillan/Cunningham debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scout's view on the McMillan/Cunningham debate

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
• Though scouts have some concerns about Ohio State’s McMillan in pass coverage, his work against the run isn’t in question. Palazzolo notes that McMillan missed only 23 of his 268 tackle attempts over the last three years.

By contrast, Vanderbilt’s Zach Cunningham – who Mel Kiper and some others say the Dolphins should have drafted instead – had 21 missed tackles in 2016 alone and finished 174th in tackling efficiency last season.

“I think he will be the best player in their class,” one of the aforementioned scouts said of McMillan.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article147945589.html#storylink=rss

Yep I could concur with that statement

Just like Kiper excoriated us for passing on Brady Quinn. I believe based on a quick google audit that he's the only "pundit" who graded Asiatta as undraft-worthy. He in turn downgrades drafts on the basis of his often convoluted player ratings

Cunningham...the Human Arm Tackle.

I'm not totally anti-Cunningham, but I'm glad we didn't draft him.

When asked why Mel Kiper didn't take any NFL offer to be their General Manager and set their draft board, Kiper replied, "Because the fans would kill me. I miss so many picks, as an ESPN analyst, no one cares. But running a team, I'd be tarred and feathered"

People spent months hyping up Zach Cunningham around here. Now he's a bum who can't tackle, and probably smells, too. :lol: :bobdole:

I didn't, too soft... I'm glad we got who we did. I'll watch Cunningham to see if I was right about this one, but I know the answer already.

I don't believe Cunningham is a bum. Yes, he has some tackling issues to clean up, but he has the athleticism and smarts to do it. Plain and simple, he isn't a fit for our defense. The whole front seven is responsible for control of a single gap in our scheme. We need linebackers with the ability to maintain gap control. McMillan fills that role.

Cunningham is more of a read, run, and cleanup linebacker. If we were playing the old Wannstedt/Jim Bates system with two space eaters like Bowen and Gardner inside, Cunningham would be the preferred pick. For our current system, McMillan is a better player. That's Kiper's problem. He never takes fit into account when projecting players.

The more tape i watched of Cunningham, the more i disliked his tackling. It's bad.....really bad. He plays extremely high and uses all arms instead of shoulders. He needs to target the midsection instead of always reach for the shoulders.

That being said, tackling can be taught. Seattle has done well preaching rugby style tackling for several years now. What can't be taught is athleticism and instincts, which Cunningham has.....so he still has the potential to be a good player if he can correct the tackling and add some strength. I just don't know if he's in a system for success. I see him more as a Will in a 4-3, not in a 3-4 like Houston runs.

Broken tackles was probably this defenses biggest issue last season, and Cunningham's biggest weakness is broken tackles. Raekwon is a sure tackler. To me that is enough reason. I honestly would not have minded either, but I love the guy we got. The biggest thing hat stands out to me is he was the qb on defense at a college where he was surrounded by NFL players. No injuries is another thing I love about him as well.

The other enormous thing to look at if you compare the two is fit in our defense. Raekwon is projected at SAM, and could possibly develop in to MLB. Zach is projected at WILL with the chance to move inside. Kiko is our WILL and signed a long term deal. Misi is our current SAM but has been often injured and took a pay cut. Point is if a lb is getting on the field this season it will be at SAM.

When I look at McMillian I see a Bryan Cox, Channing Crowder type player, stout, strong and a good tackler, but not great in breaking up the passes across the middle. Cunningham reminds me a lot of Kiko Alonso, a little undersized, more of a weak side, react and chase player. We already have one of those, so don't think we need two on the field at the same time. I understand the argument that the game has changed since Cox and Crowder, and you need to better against the pass than the run. I think McMillian will bring balance to the defense. And the Force.

When I look at McMillian I see a Bryan Cox, Channing Crowder type player, stout, strong and a good tackler, but not great in breaking up the passes across the middle. Cunningham reminds me a lot of Kiko Alonso, a little undersized, more of a weak side, react and chase player. We already have one of those, so don't think we need two on the field at the same time. I understand the argument that the game has changed since Cox and Crowder, and you need to better against the pass than the run. I think McMillian will bring balance to the defense. And the Force.

Some good posts/videos discussing that subject starting on post #148: http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...h-Pick&p=1066007694&viewfull=1-post1066007694

I believe Mel Kiper also never even had Williams Hayes on his giant list of prospects, like never heard of him when he was drafted from Winston Salem state.

Back
Top Bottom