Sean Smith - Vontae Davis | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sean Smith - Vontae Davis

Are you watching the games or going by what you read in here?

S. Smith is very good at blanketing receivers.

:lol:

Haven't missed a game all season. You sir, need a new prescription.

Fins2000 if sounding like a baby is being right. Then I'm a premature one. U base ur opinion off what. Cause that **** ain't stats. Our rookie CBS are better then 50% of the league

With the 24th ranked pass defense huh? Get out of here. You can't be sober.

I think it is perfect how we first thought Sean Smith was amazing then looks Like Davis is doing the bigger plays. Do you think sense Hartline is starting when Pat Turner gets out there he will be better when next season starts.

:lol:

Haven't missed a game all season. You sir, need a new prescription.

With the 24th ranked pass defense huh? Get out of here. You can't be sober.

Sean Smith does blanket recievers so dont pull that bull.

And did you know Crowder's inability to cover ANYONE and Gibril Wilson's inability to cover ANYONE, is a bigger part to why the pass defense is ranked 24th.

Smith has a big advantage in the fact he is so long.
You think Qb's just always happen to overthrow the WR he is on? NO they know with the size Smith has they have to get that ball as far away from him as they can. A ball that is not leading the WR enough will get picked or swatted by a 6'3 CB.
Both these guys are good.
TE's have killed us all year not WR's the only WR I remember having a huge game is Moss who Vonte lovers wont aknowldege. 2 rookie cb's starting and playing at this level is amazing. Compare our pass coverage with these two to the guys we have seen back there in the last 6 years

The biggest problem, in my opinion, in both corners is that neither of them can track the ball when its in the air, seems they are always in good position but neither can find the ball.

Well done. You nailed it right on the head. This is a problem that is prevalent with kids coming out of college. Taylor Mays and Eric Berry, considered the top 2 safeties coming out this year, have this same problem.

Well done. You nailed it right on the head. This is a problem that is prevalent with kids coming out of college. Taylor Mays and Eric Berry, considered the top 2 safeties coming out this year, have this same problem.

:foundout:

Good Draft Picks!! Both these guys are gonna be very good/great, I'm happy with worrying about other positions that these two. :)

I said our cbs are top in the league not our pass
defense. U should be a jet fan. Get the fuxk Outta here wit ur bias. Leave or rooks alone blame bubble screens and tight ends for those bad numbers.

The difference is, Vontae is a play maker. Yes he does get torched but he also makes plays. What plays is Sean Smith making.

It's disappointing because Smith looked to be the potential super star right out of the gate (i'm not giving up on him of course.) But as it is he's just a wimpy tackler who's not making very many plays.

Meanwhile, Vontae is a tackling machine who has also made some big plays in the secondary. Suffice it to say, Vontae is further along right now.

Unless you have tape and can follow them on every single play, our assessment is only partial to what we can see on the TV, although some of you may have had the priviledge to see the games live and would be able to form a better opinion. I think they're pretty damn good for rookies. I'd like to see Clemons play more. What about Nathan Jones? He's made some good plays this season.

I have to agree about Sean Smith. This guy has done nothing to impress me. Last week Simms calling the game said Smith "had no chance" against Wes Welker. Really? We have a sarting CB that can't cover Wes Welker? I have seen Smith wiff on so many plays it looks like Ted Ginn trying to make a tackle. How many times do we see Smith 5 yards behind someone he has coverage on? If Brady throws that long ball 1 foot closer last week on Smith we lose the game. Watch that again.

The vision for the ball is key and I agree that needs to and can be fixed. Davis looks to be a stud though I prefer the Champ Baily type of stud over the Weezy kind of stud.

And what is with Smith doing the incomplete motion and dancing all over the place when a ball is thrown into the seats? And when he is getting burned over and over again. Save that. See Surtain for how to act like a shut down corner.

jesus.. Is there a freaking Sean Smith hate club??? Yeh Vont has some ints, but moss smoked him twice,steve smith, TO! Go back and watch the colts game. How many catches and yards did Reggie wayne havE?? Sean freaking Smith! The kid was a wr at utah and switched. He loves bump and run, him and Vont both do and i LOVE the swagger they show. They are roooooooooks.. Hello!? Like someone else said, Jason Allen.. Jamar Flecher.. THere both better then them by far. The Aiken catch on Smith was a Freak play by aiken, Smith was on him like white on rice. Also the play before the Crowder game winning int. Brady threw a perfect pass to aiken and Smith had Very nice break up.. Stop being so god damn negative!!!!

so we've gotten a great look at these two guys. we've seen both get burned (vontae more than smith). we've see both make clutch plays and play some excellent blanket coverage.

smith is not thrown to as often as davis is thrown to. in most games, offenses have been putting their #1 against vontae and, consequently, he gets thrown at more often than smith. not suprisingly, a #1 receiver WILL get some catches and davis will look as if he's giving up more than smith which may be deceiving. when will allen was in coverage we saw the same thing...teams throw at sean smith and some receivers caught some balls. so i think both CBs are playing at a relatively similar level as far as coverage.

vontae smith is a bit more of a gambler and will try to step in front of a ball to make the INT. here is where the two are different and where everyone may have a different philosophy as far as risk. v.davis will occassionally try to make the INT even sacrificing a bit of coverage to try to get into position for the INT. the gamble will pay off sometimes and sometimes not....we've seen davis surrender HUGE yardage because of the gamble. on the other hand, we've also seen v.davis make the gamble a couple of times and he's had some success with the INTs. i don't know the ratio BUT here is where i think offenses will interpret it differently....some will see opportunity and some will give him respect. brady i think is an example of a QB who sees opportunity and while i don't think brady played to v.davis' inclination to gamble he nonetheless is a QB who will gamble against a risk taker like v.davis. p.manning is a good example of a QB who will play v.davis' game and bait him with a pump fake or a stare to make davis jump and then go for a deep ball. d.brees will too. like i said.....some QBs will gladly play against a risk taking CB while others who are not as talented will play away from him. so the question for us is whether we prefer a shutdown corner who allows no catches but does not play for the INT or a CB who occasionally gambles on the INT and loses but sometimes wins the battle and also offers good coverage.

s.smith appears to be more of a shutdown corner, in my opinion, he plays the receiver and blankets him. you throw to him and your ball is not going to be caught but it's probably not going to be intercepted either.

v.davis appears to love to hit as well....so he adds an added dimension to the defense in helping it appear more physical. we've seen him give a receiver, RB and TE sweet hits. i've yet to see s.smith give a powerful hit to anyone.

now, i've also seen v.davis get burned a lot more often than smith.....even though the receiver didn't catch it or the QB didn't see him open. smith also lets receivers get by sometimes but v.davis has been burned more often, in my opinion.

together, the two are demonstrating they are talented and helping to convey the impression that the Dolphins CBs are dangerous corners to throw against. my only fear is that as teams begin to respect the outside it's going to put even more pressure on the already suspect middle of the field.

what's your impression of sean smith and vontae davis? do you think any one is better than the other given the variables of the game (receivers, offensive strategies, etc)?

zor
what games have you been watching smith has been getting burnt all the time

Well, Sean Smith is an interception or two from being held on everyone's high horses, so I think that tells enough.

Gruu, I just watched the replay on Nfl networok. They showed it a couple times.. He popped it out before they hit the ground. Pretty sure he turned around and everything. And I think Aiken was Drapped over smith on the big play. He came over smith for the most part to grab it

Back
Top Bottom