Seeing the Defense the last 2 games | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seeing the Defense the last 2 games

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
Might this team need more help on the defensive side of the ball than we are willing to admit?

I know everyone wants to add weapons for Tua(and I do too)but they have given up a ton of points and yards the last two games.

Parsons and a real run stopping DT wold really help.

As far as first 3 rounds, I think we are down to Parsons (or another ILB)... I think that's all we really need.

Davis is looking better each week and Wilkins is a load... Our Safety play has been MUCH better than advertised, and the DE rotation is obviously working very well.

So, other than our inside linebackers, I think we'll go mostly offense until the third day of the draft.

Might this team need more help on the defensive side of the ball than we are willing to admit?

I know everyone wants to add weapons for Tua(and I do too)but they have given up a ton of points and yards the last two games.

That would probably be my first round strategy. Miami could end up with a huge offer to trade down if a quarterback is available. We'll see where that Houston pick lands.

What DT would you prefer, later in the first round? I think the Dolphins may end up with around 10 wins.

I don't know that we have to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in DT. Run stuffing DT's can be found later in the draft no problem. The focus early on should be Linebacker, Wide Receiver, and running back. That being said, depending on how far Marvin Wilson out of Florida State falls, he would be my DT target of choice if we do decide to take one in round 2.

Of course they need more talent on that side of the ball. They need talent on both sides.

Let’s not forget this was a 5-win team in 2019 that started out 0-7. And was non-competitive in several of those early games.

They addressed a lot via free agency and the draft, but nowhere near enough.

The defense has enough talent and good coaching already to make plays. They’ve scored points defensively each of the past couple games.

The offense, however, has no rush attack to speak of and no ‘make you miss’ wide receivers. Grant is super fast, but super undersized and inconsistent in many ways.

This offense doesn’t get many explosive plays and has to work too hard to drive down field. Allowing opposing defenses more opportunities to create negative plays.

This team needs offensive play makers and an every down back with good size and speed more than they need anything else.

That would probably be my first round strategy. Miami could end up with a huge offer to trade down if a quarterback is available. We'll see where that Houston pick lands.

What DT would you prefer, later in the first round? I think the Dolphins may end up with around 10 wins.
I pray for that trade down opportunity every year. I dont care if we move down several spots and the return we get is high picks next year.

Of course they need more talent on that side of the ball. They need talent on both sides.

Let’s not forget this was a 5-win team in 2019 that started out 0-7. And was non-competitive in several of those early games.

They addressed a lot via free agency and the draft, but nowhere near enough.

The defense has enough talent and good coaching already to make plays. They’ve scored points defensively each of the past couple games.

The offense, however, has no rush attack to speak of and no ‘make you miss’ wide receivers. Grant is super fast, but super undersized and inconsistent in many ways.

This offense doesn’t get many explosive plays and has to work too hard to drive down field. Allowing opposing defenses more opportunities to create negative plays.

This team needs offensive play makers and an every down back with good size and speed more than they need anything else.
Spot on

I pray for that trade down opportunity every year. I dont care if we move down several spots and the return we get is high picks next year.
I'm not much for mantras but if I had one, it would be trade down.

The price teams pay for a quarterback would be hard to pass up. No pun intended. Also, Miami could essentially block New England from getting a top quarterback.

I wasn't suggesting a DT in Round 1, just that it looks like a real need.

I don't think DT will line up value wise where Miami will be picking in Round 1, but I do see some good value in Round 2 at that spot.

The things we need on D are nitpicking -

A safety to develop to eventually replace McCain/Rowe (likely 2 seasons away)
A true star LB (hello Parsons)

A situational NT (Mammoth of a man - Raekwon and returning Godchaux can handle it on passing downs )

MAYBE another nickel corner to push Needham/Igby

Possibly an in the box safety (Brandon Jones has been fantastic)

I think our defense has been pretty stout, all things considered. We've given up plenty of yards, but this has been a product of our blitzing strategy which allows bigger plays when we miss the QB... and our poor play at inside linebacker. I wouldn't rush to draft anyone on that side of the ball but a new 3 down inside linebacker... (Yes, Parsons in the first).

If we can get Parsons, then I'd flip to the offense with the next three or four selections.

Sure... we can take some more stabs on the third day, but let's be honest... our Defense is winning games now. It just need that much investment.

It goes against conventional wisdom, but I really want to see us load up on skill players.

Last year there was a pretty hot argument as to whether we should go skill positions... or beef. (I will always take the beef side) Some of the arguments got pretty nasty, but we saw which way Grier/Flores leaned. Other than Tua, they wanted trench guys... and that's what they did in Free Agency as well... and let's be honest here, it worked.

But once you get the trench guys in... and they are playing well, then you've GOT to think about the skill players, even if the conventional wisdom says to wait a bit. And the conventional wisdom only says to avoid going 'skill players' when your needs are equal... ours are not.

I would have screamed if we would have taken a Wide Receiver last year when we had no linemen, but we've got a line now. It isn't pro bowl quality yet, but it's young and will only get better. Yes, we need weapons now.

Watching the game yesterday we definitely need some pace at LB. They were in position to make plays against Kyler Murray but it was too easy for him. Parsons or Owusu Karamoah if the board falls the right way.

We need a DT, slot corner and a back up DE in case Lawson or Ogbah go down.

Normally we should address those early in the draft but Tua coming in changes things - we're going to have to get him some support.

Back
Top Bottom