Senior Bowl 2014: Weigh-In Results

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DKphin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

32 1/4 arm length for zach martin...welcome to the guard class...

a whole lot of ehhh players on that list of attendees...will sutton at 315 is 30 lbs overweight...get back to 285 son

3. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

Virginia OT Morgan Moses with almost 35 inch arms.. Gotta watch more on him.. especially because the Lazor connection. From what I've seen he is a day 2 pick.

4. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

To be fair Pugh had shorter arms last year (32 inches) but still started at RT with the G-Men. Mayock was supporting him as a LT today aswell. He projects best as a guard for sure tho and that's where I'd play him.

5. futurescout

surprised Michael Sam was taller than Chris Smith

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

don't have the NFL Network... broke college student problems..

6. FearTheBeard

You should be able to stream it more than likely.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think he can play some tackle the feet are pretty good but a lot of teams are gonna pidgeon hole him for guard with those arms...not that they are terrible they just aren't ideal left tackle length and neither is the height...

i've seen an awful lot of moses at uva and he imo underachieved...i can see a late 2nd early 3rd rounder but no higher...right tackle i would not put him at left...

8. FearTheBeard

Ya I agree. There's guys out there like Michael Roos that can get away with it. My stance is why bother when I think he'd excel at LG. I'd rather not spend our first on OL and get enough fixed up in FA that we can take a playmaker higher, but I'm also not opposed to a safe, solid pick.

9. futurescout

How so?

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the lazor connection with moses is one that like futurescout says we should not ignore...good point...but that's not athletically what i want in our oline scheme personally...would like to be more move athletic with the tackles

that said i'd take moses over seantrel henderson any day

11. futurescout

Coincidentally I have Martin as the #19 rated player in this draft. I have mentioned a few times in other threads players I would like to see picked over him, but it be a good value pick and fill a need at the same time. I think Martin should be a starting Left Guard, and if a teams Left Tackle goes down bump him to the outside and have him fill in there.

12. FearTheBeard

Check your inbox.

13. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

The higher rated quarterbacks in that game have small hands, particularly compared to flawed types like Logan Thomas and Stephen Morris.

I've heard that Johnny Manziel has abnormally large hands but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

I was a bit disappointed that Aaron Donald checked in below 32 inch arms, not ideal for an inside battler. He'll be downgraded some but I think he'll produce.

14. tl77

tl77 Too high to fail

Reports from practice today were discouraging. Slow & lethargic was used to best describe him out there.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

wouldn't surprise me if manziel has large hands he wears 15 size shoes they look like clown shoes on his feet...

i didnt see anything that interested me in the one on one wr db drills on the tv broadcast at least...the herron kid made some plays but i have no interest in a wr that's under 5 ft 9...he was quick twitch...only one look but not an interesting guy for me anywhere in those two units...

they sure talked up hageman a ton...i think he's a 34 de more than a 43 dt...

i cant stand how much talking they do with teams gms etc like i give a rip what thomas dimitrov has to say...show me some one on ones etc...frustrating

one last thing i will say is why not burn a 4th round or even 3rd round pick on logan thomas and hope that you can develop him and coach him up...makes sense to me instead of some of those other qbs air mailing every route they threw...not for miami mind you

full pads tomorrow always a more true evaluation opportunity...

16. ProStyle

ProStyle Banned Hammered

I don't know about 4th round for Thomas. I guess, depending on what's left on the board, if there is not much talent left at some point he becomes a legit option. My concern with Thomas is what everyone has, he was not a winner like Kaep, Wilson, Newton, RG3, and he is not a good pocket passer/decision maker. My favorite late QB for a project is Tom Savage.

17. ProStyle

ProStyle Banned Hammered

As far as DTs, I like Hageman. I am warming up to Deandre Coleman as well, even Will Clarke. I like the explosiveness of Donald, and motor of Anthony Johnson and Easley. But I like that Hageman and Coleman play with hands in the air to redirect passes. I am partial to that.

I am looking forward to hear more about Barrow. I think he is a playmaker, I like his smarts, athleticism in coverage, angles.

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

no doubt logan thomas tape is ugly the last few years...so if someone said hoops your nuts i wouldn't blame you...im just saying instead of taking some mid level at best career guy who you know can't get you over the hump take a shot with a later round pick and see if you can develop him and coach him up...

if i needed a qb and i didnt like the options otherwise or i couldnt get the one that i wanted i'd throw a bone at him later on provided the owner understood that i was not hanging myself over it...the physical skill set is well worth it

19. tl77

tl77 Too high to fail

I agree. As a late round qb, I'd definitely take him and see how he improves.

Hoops, what do you think/know about Stanley Jean Baptiste DB from Nebraska. I know a lot of people are trying to throw the R Sherman comparison cause of his size. He's a wr convert and has a knack for finding the ball. Seems like recognition and just lack of experience could hurt him. Would need a good db coach in the NFL to get him playing at a high level. Most places I've checked have him going rnd 3

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

he almost fell down when a wr made a cut on him in off coverage...hips very stiff on that rep...i think mayock got it right press man guy...not a fit for our scheme hips wise...i'd expect him to fare better in press reps the rest of the week...not that any of those wrs showed much either

21. ProStyle

ProStyle Banned Hammered

McGill?

22. tl77

tl77 Too high to fail

Nice, I can't watch any of the practices so appreciate that. As my girl Shakira says, hips don't lie

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

we'll see tomorrow but i have a feeling those stiff hips will still be there...thats a big damn corner...i would be concerned with quick twitch explosion and cod...32 inch arms too...will be interesting to see what his bench number is...if it's in the 20's he could physically maul guys at the los and redirect em...

but off what we have seen with coyle i don't see it as a fit...i'm looking for guys with good awareness and even some route recognition good in off coverages solid ball skills fluid hips and cod can put their foot in the ground and fire forward to the ball good feet no wasted movements etc...like brent grimes but preferably in a little larger package...

is miami in the corner market though with davis and taylor waiting their turn??? i doubt it...unless we get robbed in free agency at the position

24. tl77

tl77 Too high to fail

That's what I was gonna ask too. I guess it'll all depend on who the GM is and what he sees in Taylor/Davis. Maybe he liked them as well coming out or he thought they weren't as good as Ireland did. I personally like Taylor and hope he stays healthy through camp to show us what he's got. I'm not sold on Davis, wasn't when we drafted him. If he does want to upgrade, could see a mid rnd pick on a db. I'm gonna comb through some of those mid rounders and see what pops out.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

my guess would be if they do use a pick on a corner it would be with the thought process of upgrading the slot...but this whole thing could be fluid if we lose a few guys this offseason in free agency cuts etc

the one good thing i will say is davis and taylor looked best to me in off coverages in college...although davis has never done anything for me...taylors got some nice physical tools and good strength...big camp for both these guys i'd say...davis has to come in stronger so he can get his hands on guys and use them more to hide his long speed a little and his poor tackling...otherwise he will always wear a target

26. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

I think Martin could play tackle, I havnt seen his arm size holding him back, and lucky for us, we need a guard anyway, he would be a complete monster there. I'm all for drafting him.

27. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Aaron Donald flat out dominated Cyril Richardson. I've seen that guy compared to Geno Atkins...

McGill is going to get a lot of attention with that length. Its a copycat league and more teams are going to copy what the Seahawks look for in a cornerback.

Logan Thomas ... I'd like to see him move back to tight end.

I heard the NFLN guys talking about Zack Martin too. No harm to try him out at tackle, but he'll be a pro bowl guard.

28. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Looking at the list makes you realise how poor the senior class is compared to the quality of the underclassmen. It'll be a big draft this year, a lot of guys with only a year or two of play in the bank, so plenty of buyer beware.

On the other hand, next season none of these stellar underclassmen will be there, so you better load up this year. Evaluators are going to earn their corn this offseason.

I like Aaron Donald a lot and I'm pleasantly surprised to see his measurements coming out where they did. I was expecting him to be smaller. He's now a contender in Round 1.

29. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm not very concerned by Donald's lack of size at the next level. As long as they don't ask him to be a 2-gap player (highly unlikely), I think he'll continue to be a great. I like the Geno Atkins comparisons. If i'm a team looking for a 3 that plays in the backfield, he'd be at the top of that list.

30. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Yeah, I think he's a good fit. You don't necessarily want him to play LT, but I think he could hold his own there. That's valuable. I woudn't mind him at #19.

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

he dominated at left tackle today...easily the best looking lineman in attendance...turned guys in the run game...i think teams are gonna see it for more than just guard and if he's the 3rd tackle off the board like i think he will given his body of work in college 53 starts and how well he plays on tape getting to #19 may be difficult...

i saw some guys today that got me interested...

32. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

:err: Youre talking about football? Right? :ponder:

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

33. Fin Thirteen

Joel Bitonio of Nevada is a tackle/guard I like a lot. Looks to be a great value pick.

Did you happen to notice him at all, Hoops?

34. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I just looked at the numbers again and realized that Aaron Donald measured just shy of 6-1. I initially thought it was just shy of 6 feet. Pittsburgh always listed him at 6 feet.

He has to be a first round pick at that number. I was hoping he'd slide to second round but that seems ridiculous now. Actually I think it was ridiculous that he was rated below so many lesser players in the past few months.

35. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

After watching the drills today, Van Noy looks like he gained 10 pounds since the bowl game.

Virtually all of it in his thighs and butt.

Bad advice, either delivered or self invented. His normal frame doesn't translate perfectly to any position but none of that will matter once he's making plays.

Today he looked sluggish after apparently trying to eat himself into a middle linebacker. Or maybe it's that Miss Utah fiance needlessly proving that she can cook.

36. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

But I like the beard. Makes him look less . . . like he goes to BYU. Haven't caught any practices yet, but that's too bad. He can play.

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the only top 20 pick player i see is zach martin...he looks as advertised on tape...i dont see anything not to like

rashede hageman i'm with jeremiah looks great some reps looks ehh some others just like his minnesota tape...at that size i think he's a 34 de...i think the mccullers kid probably is also...

matt borland watched 3 tapes of his last night...misses too many tackles he should make clean to the ball...motor and effort is there all the way but off balance and a hand on the ground to keep his balance a lot undersized likes to dive tackle from poor angles and misses more than he should...struggles to get off blocks when engaged instincts are good which helps him arrive to the ball in a hurry but physically at the next level i have concerns...sure he'd help our lb core just about anyone with instincts would but i see mike 43 who should make more tackles when clean to the ball and with better form...overruns things at times...feet get out from under him...not a 2nd round value to me...the kuechly stuff is crazy

only wr that would interest me is the mathews kid from vandy but i see lack of long speed...has trouble separating on vertical routes...i have 3 games to watch of his but my initial thoughts are pick in the 50-75 range value...he can separate out of his lateral cuts and i like that but i think the lack of long speed i see will have dbs sitting on some stuff with him...underclassmen is where the wr talent lies...

at corner a bunch of big body guys who are gonna play press man not many scheme fits for us...i bet the baptiste kid is one that teams are looking at at safety cause man those hips are stiff even in press you can see it...he better tackle well i havent seen much of his work but if he's not a sure tackler he looks like a tweener to me...kick inside prospect imo

most interesting guy of the big body corners i see is the utah corner...pretty fluid for his size but again not a scheme fit...a lot of big body press guys and as such not scheme fits for us no point in looking really

i havent seen anything that looked better in off man coverages than jamar taylor did last year in reps...a couple small school kids are interesting as developmental guys that i think could fit our system...desir and aiken

aaron donald under 6 ft 1 and 288 lbs add in short arms and i wouldnt use a first round pick on him...diominant in one on one but i havent seen much in 11 on 11 team...i have some concerns about maxed out guy there...but the measurables etc dont get it done for me as a 1st round value...

deon buccannon looks pretty good in one on ones needs to find the ball better in the red zone work but i have seen pretty good awareness on his tape...those hips are better than he gets credit for imo...what i havent seen this week is the physical enforcer i was expecting to see...just not dynamically jumping off the screen at you...i like him though

charles sims most interesting running back i have seen so far...where the value is i have no idea right now and i dont know about his pass pro

dee ford i like...he's got edge win pass rush physical tools but that's 34 olb all the way doubt it would even be on our board...good looking initial situational edge rusher imo though

van noy i'm with mayock 43 strong backer we just signed misi to an extension and they like him i don't see us showing much interest as a result...i think he can handle zone drops and in the flat man coverage but carrying coverage i see issues...still someone will get a solid player there and plug him at strong...come off the field in the nickle imo...effective blitz lb...good short area lateral agility make you miss will help with his pass rush get home

i keep hearing good things about this bitonio kid and he looks like a scheme fit but i havent seen a lick of his work...

the miss st guard jackson is a good looking player i think 2nd guard off the board behind zach martin if he's drafted as such but i see power player all the way...more power scheme fit guy than zone...thud on contact strength in his hands pretty good feet

the colorado state center is showing well anchors well tough...just not as good a move athlete as schwenke was last year and like mayock i'd prefer of the two

i also think that utah state center has got some game to him...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  38. Fin Thirteen

Check out Jimmy Ward of N Illinois, hoops, if you want to see a very undervalued safety (as far as current mocks go)

Not a splash player (though he does have an eye for picks) but awareness and pursuit skills are second to none. Coverage is good - hips, speed and range, not generally used (in 2013 anyway) as a run defender. Some 2012 tape of him on draftbreakdown where he was pretty solid vs the run.

One to watch as a mid rounder imo.

39. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

All over Moses and he is most certainly a Day two pick....might make a lot of people happy that we might be able to draft a skill position player and circle back to Moses or Gabe Jackson with the second pick...i would be excited

40. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

No Gabe Jackson. Not a scheme fit.