Senior Bowl Day 3 tweets | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Day 3 tweets

I never said that about Stephen Hill...I laughed when the Jets took him.

Stephan Hill, Heyward Bey, ginn, Baldwin, henderson, hunter, Patterson... Etc etc...

But hey, you cant coach Talent! Draft him!

IMO his ceiling is Torrey Smith, which isn't a bad thing, But the idea were gonna draft him with tannehills deep ball, probably not a smart move.

And in all honesty, Devin Smith is a better at the deep Ball by miles, I don't see anyone calling him a 1st rnd pick.

Let's stop trying to make it sound like Coates has impressive college stats, ginn had more TDs in college than him, it means nothing.

Coates was not a highly productive player, it's really not debatable, he had long stretches in every game, where he did nothing, and you can pull up any game tape you want pretty much, you won't see many routes, but you will see a lot of dropped balls, and mistakes tracking the ball.

If were talking deep threat WRs Devin Smith is FAR ahead of him, but we still give him the one trick pony and call him raw, if Smith is raw Coates is incredibly raw.

No one is debating how athletic he is, but judge him purely as a football player he's a stronger Justin Hunter right now, that's it. Coates get a nod above Hunter, but I hated hunter as a prospect.

I wasn't going to use touchdowns as a talking point to begin with. You did that, so we went with it.

You are correct in terms of some of the things you're talking about here. You're just exaggerating it for whatever reason. Every prospect has mistakes and issues. Just like every player in the NFL does.

I don't particularly care if you like Sammie Coates or not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What you have to realize is how biased your point of view is. We can focus only on mistakes and ignore the talent of every single prospect in the draft if we choose to.

The bottom line is whether or not you're convinced he can play in the NFL, and at what level. Some people are better at projecting talent than others. That's what it boils down to...projecting talent. Sammie Coates talent projects well at the next level.

They also said the same thing about Stephan Hill, and they were right.

Not all of them become the next Thomas.

That's true not all of em do. But all of the one's that do have that level of talent. Your average athlete with solid hands and polished route running can't achieve that level of playmaker in the NFL. If you want a slow, mediocre athlete with solid hands and routes that can't score....you draft a bunch of Davone Bess or Brian Hartlines.

There's definitely a difference between receivers that make big plays because of size, straightline speed, and getting behind blown coverages. That's how Jonathan Baldwin became such a highly thought of prospect. But I didn't buy it.

Coates doesn't make his plays in this fashion. That's what's obvious when you watch the tape.

Speaking of Shelton, I don't think he's drafted before Xavier Cooper. When he wants it, Cooper looks unblockable. Best DT that I've seen from this group.

I wasn't going to use touchdowns as a talking point to begin with. You did that, so we went with it.

You are correct in terms of some of the things you're talking about here. You're just exaggerating it for whatever reason. Every prospect has mistakes and issues. Just like every player in the NFL does.

You brought up the stats saying he had 1/3 of his tds behind or tied, I thought it was funny because he only had 4 of all of last year.

I'm really not exaggerating how bad he is. For people to place him in the same category as White, Parker, Amari, is completely nuts to me, these guys out produce his entire season in 4-5 games.

The offense was ran through these guys, and they still produced with the extra attention.

Yeah his athletism gives him A high ceiling, but his rawness gives him a low floor, it goes both ways. even if he does develop, it definitely won't be year one, maybe year 2? Year 3? You'll have to wait that long just to find out what you have, no thanks.

And honestly he sucks at catching, he's a basket catcher, that's to big a project for me. Especially with a high pick.

I had us taking Laken in the 4th! looks like that is not gonna happen now. This is going to be a really good draft I have a feeling. If we picked up Danny Shelton, Devin Smith, Laken Tomlinson, Doran Grant, David Cobb (not necessarily in that order)...I'd be ok with those picks in the first 5 rounds.

You brought up the stats saying he had 1/3 of his tds behind or tied, I thought it was funny because he only had 4 of all of last year.

I'm really not exaggerating how bad he is. For people to place him in the same category as White, Parker, Amari, is completely nuts to me, these guys out produce his entire season in 4-5 games.

The offense was ran through these guys, and they still produced with the extra attention.

Yeah his athletism gives him A high ceiling, but his rawness gives him a low floor, it goes both ways. even if he does develop, it definitely won't be year one, maybe year 2? Year 3? You'll have to wait that long just to find out what you have, no thanks.

And honestly he sucks at catching, he's a basket catcher, that's to big a project for me. Especially with a high pick.

Well, production doesn't equate to who is going to be a playmaker in the NFL and who isn't. Are you aware who Mike Hass was?

Amari Cooper didn't produce when he was given extra attention. See the game vs. Ohio St.

Cooper produced because Kiffin likes to run his offense through one stud receiver. The same way he did it at USC running the offense through Robert Woods and then Marquise Lee. They both put up award winning statistics in Kiffin's offense. We're still waiting for one of em to take the league by storm. Two of the most "polished" receivers we've seen come out of college in a decade.

Kiffin used formations to move Amari Cooper around in the slot, and even lined him up in the backfield to get single coverage. That's how he produced at such a high level. Cooper should be a good pro, but he was used completely different than Coates.

Julio Jones used to drive the coaches crazy at Alabama because he would drop so many easy passes. Its a concentration issue.

There's a difference between not doing something because of the offense you're in, and not being capable. The reality is that Amari Cooper is a great player. But he's not physically capable of some of the athletic feats Sammie Coates has demonstrated over and over again. Not vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amari Cooper didn't produce when he was given extra attention. See the game vs. Ohio St.

Do you really want to count how many games Amari/Coates weren't productive and compare? Seriously the reason Coates didn't do what Amari was asked to, is because he can't. Let's not make it sound like auburn has been hiding all his talents all these years for some unknown reason.

You do make good points about Kiffens offense, and I actually liked Woods a lot. I like Amari too, but he's no Julio, thats for sure.

Do you really want to count how many games Amari/Coates weren't productive and compare? Seriously the reason Coates didn't do what Amari was asked to, is because he can't. Let's not make it sound like auburn has been hiding all his talents all these years for some unknown reason.

You do make good points about Kiffens offense, and I actually liked Woods a lot. I like Amari too, but he's no Julio, thats for sure.

I just want to make sure that we're clear here on what you're saying.

You're saying Sammie Coates doesn't belong in a conversation with Amari Cooper, Kevin White, or Davante Parker. They're going to be great pros while Sammie Coates is not good.

Does that describe your position pretty accurately?

I just want to make sure that we're clear here on what you're saying.

You're saying Sammie Coates doesn't belong in a conversation with Amari Cooper, Kevin White, or Davante Parker. They're going to be great pros while Sammie Coates is not good.

Does that describe your position pretty accurately?

Sort of, but not really.

I'm saying he shouldn't be in conversation with Cooper, White, Parker, and that the only thing in college that he does decent, the only place he wins, is with the deep ball.

And even at the deep ball Devin Smith is a superior player at this, far superior IMO.

As what Coates will do in the NFL, I have no clue, no one does, but there is a long list of athletes Who were drafted high at WR, who busted. Difference is Coates had 3 years at a high profile program, one of the top schools in the nation, why didn't he learn and do more?

You draft a WR in the 1st rnd, and you still need to teach them to catch, track the ball, read zone, find soft coverages, run routes, etc etc, you got a long battle on your hands. It's not just a few things with Coates.

I Dont hate raw players, I loved Julio who was ridiculously raw, but even he showed the production in college to show he could be a true alpha despite being raw.

Coates just doesn't show much. Asking a raw college WR to be a true top 5-10 alpha WR in the NFL, is a lot to ask.

Back
Top Bottom