Senior Bowl Review Notes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Awesome stuff, CK 🥂

I just hope that Miami doesn't lean too heavily on Senior Bowl prospects. I think that's one of the traps of coaching in the game, and it's probably even more appealing in a draft class with so much uncertainty.

In this draft I absolutely do not mind.

Bunch of players coming into the NFL season having not played football in nearly two years. No Combine. No private workouts. The Pro Day situation will be a mess.

Miami was able to give, by my count, 62 of the best players in college football an entire week of 'private workouts'. They need to capitalize on that. Only one other team got that advantage.

I was thinking about this myself yesterday or sunday. I know it get appealing to be able to work with the guys and fall in love with them. But senior compared to underclassman, I didnt look at all the stats on the guys, but wouldnt you expect a 22-24 year olds body and skills to be more honed in than a 20/21 year olds. I know its huge in the NBA drafts, teams prefering a 19 year old over a 22 year old. But if you see a guy on film, that is 2 years younger, but his skill level is slightly lower..if you have faith in your coaching staff, then shouldnt you get the younger kid. I know if Jackson and Igbo dont develop then that theory looks like horse ****.

is that youre thinking behind it too, or do you think that 1 week of practices shouldnt over ride 4 years of the eye test?

btw nice write up @ckparrothead . figured you would've had a "they ****ed themselves" column too

I was trying to be nice.

The worst players in Mobile among the OL-DLs were Jake Curhan, Carson Green, Patrick Jones, and Shaka Toney.

I was trying to be nice.

The worst players in Mobile among the OL-DLs were Jake Curhan, Carson Green, Patrick Jones, and Shaka Toney.

IYO, do you think that the age difference matters as much as it does in like the NBA, I know two different sports, two different requirements of body type and individual importance. But in the NBA where you rarely see anyone above sophomore status get drafted highly due to age, do you think that crosses coaches minds. Such as the age difference between Chase and Smith...and i know Smith would fit what we need with Tua more than Chase would. But if you need a WR and you dont have a system QB, are you going the guy a year and a half younger?

IYO, do you think that the age difference matters as much as it does in like the NBA, I know two different sports, two different requirements of body type and individual importance. But in the NBA where you rarely see anyone above sophomore status get drafted highly due to age, do you think that crosses coaches minds. Such as the age difference between Chase and Smith...and i know Smith would fit what we need with Tua more than Chase would. But if you need a WR and you dont have a system QB, are you going the guy a year and a half younger?

It doesn't matter as much as it does with the NBA or MLB.

It can matter, but the problem is right when you think it does matter, it has a tendency to blow up in your face.

Because in the end, the biggest risk in NFL prospect hunting continues to be that the player just isn't any good, that you had it wrong. All other risks are very distant seconds or thirds.

So every time you try and differentiate off an orbital nuance, you're more likely to foul up because you missed on the main thesis at the center of it all.

That's a great summary CK.

I was a little disappointed in Eskridge sitting out Thursday practice and the game as a precaution, someone with a injury history coming from the MAC needed to see out the week and take his form in practice into the game itself in my view. Still like him and it may help us a little in keeping his draft stock down.

The Surratt brothers and Wallace not seeing out the week too had me disappointed. Wallace showed flashes on Tues and Wed but honestly none really enhanced their reputation, missed opportunity for them for me.

I'm not a good OLineman watcher or evaluator but if we did come out of this with the two small school kids in Radunz and Meinerz , I wouldn't complain.

Britt was very impressive first I had seen of him, I very intrigued by Robinson as an upgrade on Needham, the North Illinois kid Smith really flashed in the game and I can see Flores and co taking a good look at Ohdigizua.

Thought the RBs in general were a little disappointing with the notable exception of Carter, and to a lesser extent Stevenson. Both could be good pick us for us.

For WRs, I really liked Rodger's tape and he confirmed how good a prospect he is, Darby and Ftzpatrick, players I didn't know a lot about impressed. There were flashes from Collins (though he disappeared in the game), Grimes, Shi Smith and Felton looks like an interesting option although I think we may already have that skill set in Bowden or Perry.

I agree fully with CK when he says how important this week was for us, this was a huge advantage, yes don't dismiss those prospects that couldn't be there but this was a nice group of prospects and we got an inside track to a lot of them.

Bunch of players coming into the NFL season having not played football in nearly two years. No Combine. No private workouts. The Pro Day situation will be a mess.

Miami was able to give, by my count, 62 of the best players in college football an entire week of 'private workouts'. They need to capitalize on that. Only one other team got that advantage.
Exactly.

Any idea as to how they will work these pro days? I understand limited access by NFL scouts and lots of virtual stuff.

Great point. Miami got to see the players work ethic, how they respond to coaching, etc. That's a huge advantage.

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Arrow-Up:

QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
- Good game performance. Matt Rhule spoke very highly of his intellect, recall.
QB Mac Jones, Alabama - Voted best QB on his squad in practices.
RB Michael Carter, North Carolina - Good practices and good game performance. Voted best RB on his squad.
RB Rhamondre Stevens, Oklahoma - Route running and pass catching was surprisingly good, professional quality.
TE Kenny Yeboah, Ole Miss - Nice showing in game. On practice tape you could really see his basketball-like qualities.
WR D'Wayne Eskridge, W. Michigan - Virtually un-coverable. Speed, one-cut head & shoulders above.
WR Amari Rodgers, Clemson - Perfect blend for slot. Note 5094 & 211 lbs. measure. Plays to that, but plus speed, quicks.
WR Austin Watkins, UAB - Physical, strongest hands in Mobile. The smooth gait, cutting, easy separation were a revelation.
WR Demetric Felton, UCLA - Big time speed, quickness. Physicality of a former RB. If he learns to cut wasted movement...
WR Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville - Combo of length (6'2") and quickness. Gets open. Did well in game.
WR Nico Collins, Michigan - Plays big, smooth, athletic, professional. Didn't play in 2020, so this was important.
OL Dillon Radunz, NDSU - Voted best player in Mobile. We knew A+ mobility, but couldn't know strength. Now we do.
OL Quinn Meinerz, UWW - Big splash. Mauled people, but moves, carries 320 lbs. well. Voted best OL on squad.
OL Spencer Brown, UNI - Showed combo 6'8.5" length, 315 lbs. heft, great knee bend, good mobility. Rare.
OL David Moore, Grambling - The power on Grambling tape looks same vs. Top talent. Voted best OL on his squad.
OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame - Was the best OG in Mobile this week. He might've leapfrogged Trey Smith.
OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame - Took snaps everywhere except LT. Always looked in control. Teams love that versatility.
OL Jack Anderson, Texas Tech - Is a Guard but took a ton of snaps at Center, did well. That will bump his stock.
OL D'Ante Smith, East Carolina - Didn't play in 2020. Showed combo length, mobility, strength. Fit in. This helped him.
DE Cam Sample, Tulane - Best pass rusher either squad at 274 lbs. Used at 3-tech, even 1-tech. Voted best DL on squad.
DL Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA - Great frame at 280 lbs., 7'0" wing. Miami used him at 1-tech, all over. Voted best DL on squad.
OLB Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame - Good hands, 2nd most consistent pass rusher in Mobile.
DE Elerson Smith, UNI - Looks like Jason Taylor. Came from FCS and was one of the best. Big impact in game itself.
DE Quincy Roche, Miami - One of few consistent pass rushers Mobile. Stock was heading lower and he stabilized it.
DE Ade Ogundeji, Notre Dame - Ideal length that showed up consistently in practice as tough for OLs to stick to.
DE Janarius Robinson, FSU - Got better as the week wore on, peaking w/ a good game performance. Titanic length.
LB K.J. Britt, Auburn - Was all over the place during the game. Great passion. Voted best LB on his squad.
CB Tre Brown, Oklahoma - Virtually unassailable in coverage drills. Really head & shoulders above.
CB Keith Taylor, Washington - Very good in drills during practice week, and strong game performance.
DS Richie Grant, Central Florida - Forced to play CB and did well. Strong presence, coaches very impressed.
CB Aaron Robinson, Central Florida - Was one of the few CBs who seemed to know what he was doing in drills. Noticeable.
DS Christian Uphoff, Illinois State - Voted best DS on his squad. That's a big deal coming from FCS.
DS Damar Hamlin, Pitt - Coaches seemed to really take note of him. Good combo of length and hips.
CB D.J. Daniel, Georgia - Voted by the WRs as the best CB on his squad over Aaron Robinson, which is notable.

Maintained Standing:

QB Ian Book, Notre Dame
- Voted best QB on his squad in practices, but more by default, IMO. Bad competition
RB Kylin Hill, Mississippi State - Voted best RB on his squad in practices. Not sure there was anything new, though.
TE Tre' McKitty, Georgia - Voted best TE on his squad in practices. Showed some athleticism. But he had standing already.
TE Hunter Long, Boston College - Voted best TE on his squad and showed competency, for what he is.
WR Kadarius Toney, Florida - Voted best WR on his squad in practices. I saw no new pieces to the puzzle.
OL Alex Leatherwood, Alabama - He met high expectations. But I don't think he improved his standing. Radunz was better.
OC Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma - Showed expected strengths, limitations. Played well at OG, but Meinerz out-shone him at OC.
OG Trey Smith, Tennessee - Will still be highly regarded, but honestly didn't kill it during the week. Banks was better.
OT James Hudson, Cincinnati - Showed his athletic package, but started to get beat as week wore on. Missed opportunity.
OC Drake Jackson, Kentucky - Career OC, lots of experience, predictably solid at OC in Mobile. But struggled when moved to OG.
DT Levi Onwuzurike, Washington - Only one day, but still the least blockable DT in Mobile. That's only good enough to hold serve.
DL Carlos Basham, Wake Forest - Forced to move inside more, and did a fair job, but not better than you'd have figured.
DT Marvin Wilson, Florida State - Looked tough to handle at times, but showed nothing new. Seemed an exclusive 1-tech.
DL Chauncey Golston, Wake Forest - Good length, but we already knew that. Moved inside a lot, but was only passing fair.
DL Payton Turner, Indiana - Physically very impressive, but that was a known. Was mostly a 3-tech this week, and only passing fair at that.
DE Rashad Weaver, Pitt - Really up-and-down, forced to play inside a lot, not built for that but he did it. No real new info, tho.
DE William Bradley-King, Baylor - Technically impressive, helped him show out early, but leveled off as OLs caught up to him.
LB Baron Browning, Ohio State - Won at weigh-in, good game, solid practice, but was tried at pass rush, sucked. So nothing new.
LB Tony Fields, West Virginia - Voted by teammates best LB on his squad, but he really lost at the weigh-in. Small, bad length.
LB Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon State - Not allowed to do much in pass rush, which is his specialty. Did alright when allowed, tho.

Appreciated, I watched those drills and I must say, I'm in love with Meinerz (what a great throwback type of player)

Looking at the players, I really like the late first and second rounds of the draft this year....

I think it's a good approach for Day 3, maybe even late-Day 2 guys. Outside of D. Smith, though, I didn't see many players I'd consider Top 40. You have other guys you like that early?

Senior Bowl Review Notes

Arrow-Up:

QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
- Good game performance. Matt Rhule spoke very highly of his intellect, recall.
QB Mac Jones, Alabama - Voted best QB on his squad in practices.
RB Michael Carter, North Carolina - Good practices and good game performance. Voted best RB on his squad.
RB Rhamondre Stevens, Oklahoma - Route running and pass catching was surprisingly good, professional quality.
TE Kenny Yeboah, Ole Miss - Nice showing in game. On practice tape you could really see his basketball-like qualities.
WR D'Wayne Eskridge, W. Michigan - Virtually un-coverable. Speed, one-cut head & shoulders above.
WR Amari Rodgers, Clemson - Perfect blend for slot. Note 5094 & 211 lbs. measure. Plays to that, but plus speed, quicks.
WR Austin Watkins, UAB - Physical, strongest hands in Mobile. The smooth gait, cutting, easy separation were a revelation.
WR Demetric Felton, UCLA - Big time speed, quickness. Physicality of a former RB. If he learns to cut wasted movement...
WR Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville - Combo of length (6'2") and quickness. Gets open. Did well in game.
WR Nico Collins, Michigan - Plays big, smooth, athletic, professional. Didn't play in 2020, so this was important.
OL Dillon Radunz, NDSU - Voted best player in Mobile. We knew A+ mobility, but couldn't know strength. Now we do.
OL Quinn Meinerz, UWW - Big splash. Mauled people, but moves, carries 320 lbs. well. Voted best OL on squad.
OL Spencer Brown, UNI - Showed combo 6'8.5" length, 315 lbs. heft, great knee bend, good mobility. Rare.
OL David Moore, Grambling - The power on Grambling tape looks same vs. Top talent. Voted best OL on his squad.
OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame - Was the best OG in Mobile this week. He might've leapfrogged Trey Smith.
OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame - Took snaps everywhere except LT. Always looked in control. Teams love that versatility.
OL Jack Anderson, Texas Tech - Is a Guard but took a ton of snaps at Center, did well. That will bump his stock.
OL D'Ante Smith, East Carolina - Didn't play in 2020. Showed combo length, mobility, strength. Fit in. This helped him.
DE Cam Sample, Tulane - Best pass rusher either squad at 274 lbs. Used at 3-tech, even 1-tech. Voted best DL on squad.
DL Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA - Great frame at 280 lbs., 7'0" wing. Miami used him at 1-tech, all over. Voted best DL on squad.
OLB Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame - Good hands, 2nd most consistent pass rusher in Mobile.
DE Elerson Smith, UNI - Looks like Jason Taylor. Came from FCS and was one of the best. Big impact in game itself.
DE Quincy Roche, Miami - One of few consistent pass rushers Mobile. Stock was heading lower and he stabilized it.
DE Ade Ogundeji, Notre Dame - Ideal length that showed up consistently in practice as tough for OLs to stick to.
DE Janarius Robinson, FSU - Got better as the week wore on, peaking w/ a good game performance. Titanic length.
LB K.J. Britt, Auburn - Was all over the place during the game. Great passion. Voted best LB on his squad.
CB Tre Brown, Oklahoma - Virtually unassailable in coverage drills. Really head & shoulders above.
CB Keith Taylor, Washington - Very good in drills during practice week, and strong game performance.
DS Richie Grant, Central Florida - Forced to play CB and did well. Strong presence, coaches very impressed.
CB Aaron Robinson, Central Florida - Was one of the few CBs who seemed to know what he was doing in drills. Noticeable.
DS Christian Uphoff, Illinois State - Voted best DS on his squad. That's a big deal coming from FCS.
DS Damar Hamlin, Pitt - Coaches seemed to really take note of him. Good combo of length and hips.
CB D.J. Daniel, Georgia - Voted by the WRs as the best CB on his squad over Aaron Robinson, which is notable.

Maintained Standing:

QB Ian Book, Notre Dame
- Voted best QB on his squad in practices, but more by default, IMO. Bad competition
RB Kylin Hill, Mississippi State - Voted best RB on his squad in practices. Not sure there was anything new, though.
TE Tre' McKitty, Georgia - Voted best TE on his squad in practices. Showed some athleticism. But he had standing already.
TE Hunter Long, Boston College - Voted best TE on his squad and showed competency, for what he is.
WR Kadarius Toney, Florida - Voted best WR on his squad in practices. I saw no new pieces to the puzzle.
OL Alex Leatherwood, Alabama - He met high expectations. But I don't think he improved his standing. Radunz was better.
OC Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma - Showed expected strengths, limitations. Played well at OG, but Meinerz out-shone him at OC.
OG Trey Smith, Tennessee - Will still be highly regarded, but honestly didn't kill it during the week. Banks was better.
OT James Hudson, Cincinnati - Showed his athletic package, but started to get beat as week wore on. Missed opportunity.
OC Drake Jackson, Kentucky - Career OC, lots of experience, predictably solid at OC in Mobile. But struggled when moved to OG.
DT Levi Onwuzurike, Washington - Only one day, but still the least blockable DT in Mobile. That's only good enough to hold serve.
DL Carlos Basham, Wake Forest - Forced to move inside more, and did a fair job, but not better than you'd have figured.
DT Marvin Wilson, Florida State - Looked tough to handle at times, but showed nothing new. Seemed an exclusive 1-tech.
DL Chauncey Golston, Wake Forest - Good length, but we already knew that. Moved inside a lot, but was only passing fair.
DL Payton Turner, Indiana - Physically very impressive, but that was a known. Was mostly a 3-tech this week, and only passing fair at that.
DE Rashad Weaver, Pitt - Really up-and-down, forced to play inside a lot, not built for that but he did it. No real new info, tho.
DE William Bradley-King, Baylor - Technically impressive, helped him show out early, but leveled off as OLs caught up to him.
LB Baron Browning, Ohio State - Won at weigh-in, good game, solid practice, but was tried at pass rush, sucked. So nothing new.
LB Tony Fields, West Virginia - Voted by teammates best LB on his squad, but he really lost at the weigh-in. Small, bad length.
LB Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon State - Not allowed to do much in pass rush, which is his specialty. Did alright when allowed, tho.
great work --- much appreciated!

...sure looks like Humphrey cost himself a LOT of $$$ staying... Seemed a certain R1 in '20 draft and now seemingly could slide to R3!
heck some even predicting R5! He'll never recoup that $ unless he lands a huge 2nd contract... So the message is:

KIDS! Don't stay in school!

:oops:

Back
Top Bottom