Sentinel: Fins spending nearly 2X on Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sentinel: Fins spending nearly 2X on Defense

IT's amazaing what Madden has done to the outlook of fans. Fans are more concerned with how much guys make then if they're any good. As a fan I want the best 22 guys we can possibly have starting and don;t give a rats ass about much much they make. Pretty soon they'll be threads about how we can win if we're at the cap floor.

You do realize that if we give to many bad players great contracts, we wont be able to afford good players, right?

IT's amazaing what Madden has done to the outlook of fans. Fans are more concerned with how much guys make then if they're any good. As a fan I want the best 22 guys we can possibly have starting and don;t give a rats ass about much much they make. Pretty soon they'll be threads about how we can win if we're at the cap floor.

Good call, people put far too much emphasis on salary numbers ie. Dansby, Smith, Hartine, total wage isnt all people think. For example I believe Dansby still has around 6 million in guaranteed money, so cut him if you like but you will be paying him either way. its just a madden/fantasy football thing

It's the same with Smith and Hartline, if we give them 5 years, $6/7 million what are the chances they even finish that contract? It is always the guaranteed figure that matters not the total number.

What a stupid article. The defense commands more of the budget than the offense because they're mostly vets we signed. The offense is mostly recent draftees. If anything that would suggest we draft MORE defensive players and fewer offense. The whole article is based on completely skewed logic. Omar Kelly plumbing new depths of sports journalism.

Dansby is not an issue for this year. Sean Smith and Richard Marshall will be replaced. We can draft one corner and a saftey to lower the defensive cap space and improve our secondary at the same time.

How about Jonathan Banks and ELAM with your first two picks. Now you have a secondary that will create turnovers. Take WR or TE with third pick. Sign a WR or TE in FA.

This data is skewed in that it does not include LY salaries for offensive free agents.

Dansby is not an issue for this year. Sean Smith and Richard Marshall will be replaced. We can draft one corner and a saftey to lower the defensive cap space and improve our secondary at the same time.

How about Jonathan Banks and ELAM with your first two picks. Now you have a secondary that will create turnovers. Take WR or TE with third pick. Sign a WR or TE in FA.

Why should we assume that? Smart money says they will be gone, but the Dolphins have made bigger mistakes in the past.

With teams cutting players and ramping up talks with their own free agents, why is Marshall still here? Why not settle our salary situation before handing out contracts? Its not hard to imagine Marshall has workout/training camp bonuses coming up, so if we plan on cutting him it has to be soon.

This reeks of another Legedu Naanee/Benny Sapp/Marc Colombo situation. A player that obviously needs to be cut but wont because of Irelands stubbornness and ego. As no brainer as it looks to cut Marshall, i can easily see him on the roster at the start of the season.

Why should we assume that? Smart money says they will be gone, but the Dolphins have made bigger mistakes in the past.

With teams cutting players and ramping up talks with their own free agents, why is Marshall still here? Why not settle our salary situation before handing out contracts? Its not hard to imagine Marshall has workout/training camp bonuses coming up, so if we plan on cutting him it has to be soon.

This reeks of another Legedu Naanee/Benny Sapp/Marc Colombo situation. A player that obviously needs to be cut but wont because of Irelands stubbornness and ego. As no brainer as it looks to cut Marshall, i can easily see him on the roster at the start of the season.
I don't think it is a "no-brainer that Richard Marshall has to be released at this point of the offseason, or at all. A $5.8 million cap hit for Marshall is high for this upcoming season, I agree with that, but that was also part of how the free agent market works. Players always get overpaid to be able to secure their rights. It is why a guy like Mike Wallace is going to be getting a $10+ million a year contract when his playing worth doesn't match that cost, just how free agency works. The Dolphins currently have $44 million in cap space and a cap savings of only $3.4 million at this point is not really needed.

Marshall is an above average cornerback and he had some respectable seasons with the Cardinals and Panthers before signing here. He got hurt here last season, that happens to players during their career. It wasn't like the Dolphins signed an injury plagued cornerback since he hadn't missed a game his previous 7 NFL seasons. If Smith doesn't re-sign or get the franchise tag and you cut Marshall to save $3.4 million, that leaves the Dolphins with Dimitri Patterson and Nolan Carroll as the top two cornerbacks. Granted the Dolphins can sign and draft replacements, but why create another hole just to save a few million when the team already is loaded with space? If you sign free agent cornerbacks and draft some who can replace Marshall than you can make a decision to cut or trade him.

I don't think it is a "no-brainer that Richard Marshall has to be released at this point of the offseason, or at all. A $5.8 million cap hit for Marshall is high for this upcoming season, I agree with that, but that was also part of how the free agent market works. Players always get overpaid to be able to secure their rights. It is why a guy like Mike Wallace is going to be getting a $10+ million a year contract when his playing worth doesn't match that cost, just how free agency works. The Dolphins currently have $44 million in cap space and a cap savings of only $3.4 million at this point is not really needed.

Marshall is an above average cornerback and he had some respectable seasons with the Cardinals and Panthers before signing here. He got hurt here last season, that happens to players during their career. It wasn't like the Dolphins signed an injury plagued cornerback since he hadn't missed a game his previous 7 NFL seasons. If Smith doesn't re-sign or get the franchise tag and you cut Marshall to save $3.4 million, that leaves the Dolphins with Dimitri Patterson and Nolan Carroll as the top two cornerbacks. Granted the Dolphins can sign and draft replacements, but why create another hole just to save a few million when the team already is loaded with space? If you sign free agent cornerbacks and draft some who can replace Marshall than you can make a decision to cut or trade him.

The only year which u could argue that Marshall was an above average cb was the year prior to us signing him, he was definately not an above average cb while a starter for the Panthers, thus was one reason they made no attempt to resign him and he signed only a one year contract with the Cards. If he was so above average or even average he would have been much more in demand

The only year which u could argue that Marshall was an above average cb was the year prior to us signing him, he was definately not an above average cb while a starter for the Panthers, thus was one reason they made no attempt to resign him and he signed only a one year contract with the Cards. If he was so above average or even average he would have been much more in demand

Thank you, Richard Marshall sucks and we're no worse off having Nolan Carroll starting for 1/6th the price. On the same page, Sean Smith is worth about what Marshall is getting paid now and if he continues with this crap about 10 million a year we should tell him to go get smoked and drop picks elsewhere... ****in useless stiff hips.

You do realize that if we give to many bad players great contracts, we wont be able to afford good players, right?

OK I'm convinced. Lets cut Dansby and Burnett and roll with Spitler and Trusnik that way we'll be able to sign some good players.

Is there a reason Omar Kelly left out Jake Long's salary????

Now, let us compare that to the top seven salaries on the offensive side of the Dolphins roster.
1. Left guard Richie Incognito ($5,383,334)
2. Receiver Davone Bess ($3,433,334)
3. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill ($2,879,205)
4. Center Mike Pouncey ($2,525,371)
5. Right guard John Jerry ($1,537,625)
6. Offensive tackle Jonathan Martin ($1,087,333)
7. Tailback Daniel Thomas ($931,666)

Actually, he played FS for much of that season if I recall correctly.

No way Marshall is above average corner, did you actually watch him play last season, and that way before a back injury which are very tough for players. No way in hell we should be paying Patterson and Marshall 10 mil, that's a joke. Instead you cut them both, sign one of the better FA corners even if its in 9-10 mil range to give you true number one guy and draft another with one of the top 3 picks. I'd like that hell of a lot more than paying those 2 bums 10 million

Thats just not true. Dansby is actually one of the better cover LB's in the league.

Based on what? Are there any statistics that you can provide or is it just your opinion? I remember one of the reasons we got Burnett is to get a LB that can cover TE's.

Is there a reason Omar Kelly left out Jake Long's salary????

Now, let us compare that to the top seven salaries on the offensive side of the Dolphins roster.
1. Left guard Richie Incognito ($5,383,334)
2. Receiver Davone Bess ($3,433,334)
3. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill ($2,879,205)
4. Center Mike Pouncey ($2,525,371)
5. Right guard John Jerry ($1,537,625)
6. Offensive tackle Jonathan Martin ($1,087,333)
7. Tailback Daniel Thomas ($931,666)
Those are 2013 cap numbers.

Back
Top Bottom