Short yardage | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Short yardage

Although there seems to hardly ever be 3rd and short situations with this team, I figure if whoever is at RB follows the blocking scheme and goes for the hole, even though small, should be able to pick up a yard or two. If the RB tries to make his own hole or try to break outside, we will have more of the same.

they should give the kid from Michigan a look, he could be good in short yardage situations. he's slow but tough to bring down

I say, give it to Jordan Phillips (William "the Fridg" Perry Style), and tell him there is a twinkie for him on the other side if he gets a 1st down.

If that is not to anyone's liking, how about try to give Senorise Perry or De'veon Smith a shot in practice on short yardage, can't be any worse then then the other guys, and one of them could be much more consistent on short yardage then anyone thinks.

We seem to like throwing the ball on 3rd and short anyway.

I remember bitching about not having Ajayi in on third downs the last few games.

So more of the same I guess.....

Not really. According to ESPN split stats we have face 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 nine times. 3 times we passed with only 1 successful. The other 6 we ran with 5 being successful. We are actually over 50% on the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/mia

Our line has to step up for Drake and Williams big time. Plain and simple. I would like to see Drake get a chance on short yardage and see if he's up for the challenge. I wouldn't mind a lot of Rb check downs and Drake getting some swing routes to give him some open field to work with. Drake runs a legit 4.4 so at any moment he can score. I'm upset about Jay but really wanted to not waste Drake (and a 3rd rd pick). I have faith in Drake. If this O-line woke up this week, Drake having a big day isn't impossible. Drake seems like more of an Adam Gase type of RB. (Catches out of the backfield and we can finally see some well put together screen passes)

Not really. According to ESPN split stats we have face 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 nine times. 3 times we passed with only 1 successful. The other 6 we ran with 5 being successful. We are actually over 50% on the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/mia
Wow it really doesn't feel like that but thanks for fact checking this. I just assumed Ajai was getting most of the attempts when we run as he can move the pile. I think we tried Williams over the years and I feel as though he got stuffed more than he converted. Curious to see how we attack this particular down and distance situation without a beefy RB.

Our line has to step up for Drake and Williams big time. Plain and simple. I would like to see Drake get a chance on short yardage and see if he's up for the challenge. I wouldn't mind a lot of Rb check downs and Drake getting some swing routes to give him some open field to work with. Drake runs a legit 4.4 so at any moment he can score. I'm upset about Jay but really wanted to not waste Drake (and a 3rd rd pick). I have faith in Drake. If this O-line woke up this week, Drake having a big day isn't impossible. Drake seems like more of an Adam Gase type of RB. (Catches out of the backfield and we can finally see some well put together screen passes)
I wonder how much this factored into Ajai's trade? He really looks awkward trying to catch the ball and I assume Gase wants that dual threat of run/pass to the back if he can get it.

The pass catching back seem to be something we have always missed. Just think of all the backs that have killed us over the years coming out of the backfield. It seems the easiest way to attack but we never seem to be able to do it.

Last year we had 56 offensive snaps inside the opponents 10 yard line. 32 times we ran.
This year we only have 15 offensive snaps inside the opponents 10 yard line. only 4 runs.

Not hard to understand why we are so different than last year.

Not getting there very often and when we do we pass the ball.

I wonder how much this factored into Ajai's trade? He really looks awkward trying to catch the ball and I assume Gase wants that dual threat of run/pass to the back if he can get it.

Ya Ajayi looked like he had a blindfold on when trying to catch the ball. I think a lot of different things factored in but Drake's versatility had to be a huge reason. Gase needs a Rb who can handle screens and a nice option to move the LBer away from the middle of the field opening it up for shallow drags and crosses by being a pass catching Rb. If done correctly, man coverage on Drake would definitely favor our guy against mostly any Lber in the NFL. As bad as things seem, we're still 4-3 with a Head Coach who is not giving up on the season by a long stretch. This might sound dumb but maybe having too many playmakers turned out to be a bad thing. There's only one ball which is something Ajayi seemed to forget. Drake's playmaking and receiving skills could possibly open up the offense to more favorable matchups and big plays. I doubt any Lber wants to line up across from an athlete like Drake.

Back
Top Bottom