SI.com Peter King draft notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI.com Peter King draft notes

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jumping to the 19th pick with the Miami Dolphins, King takes the best available offensive tackle, a position of need for Miami and a move they may have to make if they are unable to either trade up or trade back on Thursday. In this case, the Dolphins select Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio. King explains the pick:
Not the tackle the Dolphins wanted, but at this point, beggars can't be choosers. The Dolphins' need is so big that new GM Dennis Hickey just had to do this. I expect Hickey to try to move up for Zack Martin, but I also expect he'll find the price way too high.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/5/...r-king-takes-a-look-at-nfl-drafts-first-round

So Hickey has to do this even if it's not the correct fit for our offense, so we can have the same problem going forward, I say no thanks.

Yeah, I hate that rationale. Go BPA (or BPA that fills a need) at that point.

Gotta get value for the pick. Reaching gets you fired.

Also to note there will be more "serviceable" linemen as well as other positions that will come available after the draft. If we can marry need with BPA then by all mean do it but please don't reach.

Beggars remain beggars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's BS reasoning. Does Miami need Oline help? Yep. Should they take a gamble on CK? Maybe, it depends on who else is available. There are a ton of talented guys that could still be sitting there at 19. For example, I'd jump all over Calvin Pryor if he were there. Does Miami need a safety? Not as bad as tackle, but Pryor is a game changer and not nearly as risky a pick. Whole lot of tackles and guards to be had in the next few rounds, not so many safeties.

Taking a tackle just to take a tackle doesn't fill a need it just adds a body.

I can't believe all of these so called NFL insiders cannot see the obvious that Kouandjio is not a good fit for the ZBS system. Philbin has been frustrated since he got here to get the O-line to function properly with big lumbering guys like John Jerry and Bryant McKinnie. He had to deal with Jonathan Martin and Incognito bullying that led to an underwhelming season that saw Jeff Ireland depart.
Now with his very first draft pick, Dennis Hickey will want to seriously distress Joe by picking a big slow lumbering guy with a questionable reconstructed knee. I can't see it happening. It will either be BPA or the best O-lineman who fits the system.
How the hell can Peter King, Charlie Casserley and Todd McShay seriously expect Miami to select Kouandjio?

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon did we really expect King to exhibit anything but intellectual laziness on the Fins pick? The guy is a Patsy lover...

I can't believe all of these so called NFL insiders cannot see the obvious that Kouandjio is not a good fit for the ZBS system. Philbin has been frustrated since he got here to get the O-line to function properly with big lumbering guys like John Jerry and Bryant McKinnie. He had to deal with Jonathan Martin and Incognito bullying that led to an underwhelming season that saw Jeff Ireland depart.
Now with his very first draft pick, Dennis Hickey will want to seriously distress Joe by picking a big slow lumbering guy with a questionable reconstructed knee. I can't see it happening. It will either be BPA or the best O-lineman who fits the system.
How the hell can Peter King and Todd McShay seriously expect Miami to select Kouandjio?

Typical reaction, based on the 40 time you see a slow, lumbering player. Watch him play more, maybe you'll figure out why these draft guys have Koundjio going to us at #19. Dude can ball, bottom line, ZBS or not.

Typical reaction, based on the 40 time you see a slow, lumbering player. Watch him play more, maybe you'll figure out why these draft guys have Koundjio going to us at #19. Dude can ball, bottom line, ZBS or not.

What I saw at the combine was a guy that lumbered around, was very stiff and didn't move well. What I've seen on tape is a guy that mauls people because he doesn't have feet quick enough to get in position. Now mauling people and just using your size and strength to block works in college...it will not work in the NFL. He will get beat like a drum.

What I saw at the combine was a guy that lumbered around, was very stiff and didn't move well. What I've seen on tape is a guy that mauls people because he doesn't have feet quick enough to get in position. Now mauling people and just using your size and strength to block works in college...it will not work in the NFL. He will get beat like a drum.

http://www.chargers.com/multimedia/...ic_Ebron/6f32a669-2bec-49d9-8bf1-83ba629633df

Does that look lumbering to you? Not to me given his size, position and power. Look at him move laterally at #19, your comment about his feet is hogwash. The flock moves against him after way over exaggerated knee issue reports that were debunked by arguably the top orthopedic surgeon in the world and then a slow forty time at the combine. Typical. That kind of meaningless white noise crowd mentality has little sway over me- Kouandjio was and is a heck of a player, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the pick at #19 or a bit lower in a trade down.

http://www.chargers.com/multimedia/...ic_Ebron/6f32a669-2bec-49d9-8bf1-83ba629633df

Does that look lumbering to you? Not to me given his size, position and power. Look at him move laterally at #19, your comment about his feet is hogwash. The flock moves against him after way over exaggerated knee issue reports that were debunked by arguably the top orthopedic surgeon in the world and then a slow forty time at the combine. Typical. That kind of meaningless white noise crowd mentality has little sway over me- Kouandjio was and is a heck of a player, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the pick at #19 or a bit lower in a trade down.
jim1 - you might like to double check the link you attached. I see Eric Ebron and he definitely isn't lumbering. But he does appear 70 lbs lighter and may not have the arm length to block like Cyrus Kouandjio;-) Actually, I enjoyed the Ebron video, he moves well and it was a good check to see if we cared to take the time to check your video.
I still don't see Kouandjio as the right fit for our ZBS but I'm ready to be flame grilled on that because Rich Eisen, Charley Casserley, Todd McShay and Peter King have all picked him in for the Dolphins in their latest mock drafts. I feel like the mother who is watching her son marching with the other soldiers, remark that they're all out of step except Johnny.

I'm not going to argue the question marks on Kouandijo. I just don't like to draft players that have regressed from their previous year. What I will argue is that there are better players with better value that will be at #19. You can't telll me that Kouandijo, with his slipping production and poor offseason, is ranked higher than CJ Mosley-LB, Ryan Shazier-LB, Marquise Lee-WR, Jason Verrett-CB. If we're indeed stuck at #19, I'll bet there will be a RT starter available at #50 in the 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom