SI.com Peter King draft notes

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, May 6, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Jumping to the 19th pick with the Miami Dolphins, King takes the best available offensive tackle, a position of need for Miami and a move they may have to make if they are unable to either trade up or trade back on Thursday. In this case, the Dolphins select Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio. King explains the pick:
    Not the tackle the Dolphins wanted, but at this point, beggars can't be choosers. The Dolphins' need is so big that new GM Dennis Hickey just had to do this. I expect Hickey to try to move up for Zack Martin, but I also expect he'll find the price way too high.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/5/...r-king-takes-a-look-at-nfl-drafts-first-round

2. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

So Hickey has to do this even if it's not the correct fit for our offense, so we can have the same problem going forward, I say no thanks.

3. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

Yeah, I hate that rationale. Go BPA (or BPA that fills a need) at that point.

4. LandShark13

LandShark13 A True Fan

Gotta get value for the pick. Reaching gets you fired.

Also to note there will be more "serviceable" linemen as well as other positions that will come available after the draft. If we can marry need with BPA then by all mean do it but please don't reach.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Beggars remain beggars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

That's BS reasoning. Does Miami need Oline help? Yep. Should they take a gamble on CK? Maybe, it depends on who else is available. There are a ton of talented guys that could still be sitting there at 19. For example, I'd jump all over Calvin Pryor if he were there. Does Miami need a safety? Not as bad as tackle, but Pryor is a game changer and not nearly as risky a pick. Whole lot of tackles and guards to be had in the next few rounds, not so many safeties.

7. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Taking a tackle just to take a tackle doesn't fill a need it just adds a body.

8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I can't believe all of these so called NFL insiders cannot see the obvious that Kouandjio is not a good fit for the ZBS system. Philbin has been frustrated since he got here to get the O-line to function properly with big lumbering guys like John Jerry and Bryant McKinnie. He had to deal with Jonathan Martin and Incognito bullying that led to an underwhelming season that saw Jeff Ireland depart.
    Now with his very first draft pick, Dennis Hickey will want to seriously distress Joe by picking a big slow lumbering guy with a questionable reconstructed knee. I can't see it happening. It will either be BPA or the best O-lineman who fits the system.
    How the hell can Peter King, Charlie Casserley and Todd McShay seriously expect Miami to select Kouandjio?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

No way this kid is the pick

10. yardlaw

yardlaw Well-Known Member

C'mon did we really expect King to exhibit anything but intellectual laziness on the Fins pick? The guy is a Patsy lover...

11. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Typical reaction, based on the 40 time you see a slow, lumbering player. Watch him play more, maybe you'll figure out why these draft guys have Koundjio going to us at #19. Dude can ball, bottom line, ZBS or not.

12. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

What I saw at the combine was a guy that lumbered around, was very stiff and didn't move well. What I've seen on tape is a guy that mauls people because he doesn't have feet quick enough to get in position. Now mauling people and just using your size and strength to block works in college...it will not work in the NFL. He will get beat like a drum.

13. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

http://www.chargers.com/multimedia/...ic_Ebron/6f32a669-2bec-49d9-8bf1-83ba629633df

Does that look lumbering to you? Not to me given his size, position and power. Look at him move laterally at #19, your comment about his feet is hogwash. The flock moves against him after way over exaggerated knee issue reports that were debunked by arguably the top orthopedic surgeon in the world and then a slow forty time at the combine. Typical. That kind of meaningless white noise crowd mentality has little sway over me- Kouandjio was and is a heck of a player, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the pick at #19 or a bit lower in a trade down.

14. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

jim1 - you might like to double check the link you attached. I see Eric Ebron and he definitely isn't lumbering. But he does appear 70 lbs lighter and may not have the arm length to block like Cyrus Kouandjio;-) Actually, I enjoyed the Ebron video, he moves well and it was a good check to see if we cared to take the time to check your video.
    I still don't see Kouandjio as the right fit for our ZBS but I'm ready to be flame grilled on that because Rich Eisen, Charley Casserley, Todd McShay and Peter King have all picked him in for the Dolphins in their latest mock drafts. I feel like the mother who is watching her son marching with the other soldiers, remark that they're all out of step except Johnny.

15. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Well-Known Member Donator

I'm not going to argue the question marks on Kouandijo. I just don't like to draft players that have regressed from their previous year. What I will argue is that there are better players with better value that will be at #19. You can't telll me that Kouandijo, with his slipping production and poor offseason, is ranked higher than CJ Mosley-LB, Ryan Shazier-LB, Marquise Lee-WR, Jason Verrett-CB. If we're indeed stuck at #19, I'll bet there will be a RT starter available at #50 in the 2nd round.

16. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I did watch the Ebron combine video and the Sports Science piece, he's one heck of an athlete.

17. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

There was an interesting player who slipped in the 1983 draft after a subpar senior year. That was Dan Marino. A regression junior to senior years isn't a positive, but I'd rather focus on the whole body of work.

18. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

The questions about Marino weren't physical, it was whether he was a cokehead. Based on similar reasoning we should be looking at Colt Lyerla. Now I know you're a Kouandjiou fan, that's fine, and if he's healthy I have no doubt he's an NFL quality lineman. I have questions and would rather opt for a player with less questions.

19. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

That's sound logic, I don't have a problem with it. It's just a question of opinions, and mine is that Kouandjio is one heck of a player that would be fine for us in a ZBS. My question has been from a few months back, do you want to spend a 1st rd pick on a RT or grab a playmaker like Brandin Cooks
    at #19 and get a RT in rd 2? But now, Morgan Moses and even Ju'Wuan James are being touted as 1st rd or early 2nd rd picks, longshots to be available at #50. I smell a trade down from #19 or a trade up from #50, or both.

I've liked Moses for a while and I've struggled with James, but despite what I don't see in striking qualities he's a very solid, very well rounded OT that will probably serve a team quietly well for 10-12 years. Not quiet excellence, but quiet very goodness. And that ain't bad.

20. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Add Mayock to the lsit who just picked him at #19 in his mock. Picked Shazier at 21 to GB as an FYI..

21. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Why would we pick at RT in the first round? I could understand a LT, but a RT?
    Pryor, Mosely, Shazier...to many top players that can upgrade or start immediately to take a 4th tier oline player.
    Hickey is done if it plays out this way...

22. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I never understood the logic that RT isn't an important position.