Slimm's 2015 Tight Ends

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, Jul 30, 2014.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Seniors:

1. Nick O'Leary / Florida St. / 6'3", 248

2. Clive Walford / Miami / 6'4", 259

3. Rory Anderson / South Carolina / 6'4", 242
    tenndonk.0_standard_709.0.gif

4. Ben Koyack / Notre Dame / 6'5", 261

5. E.J. Bibbs / Iowa St. / 6'3", 250

6. A.J. Derby / Arkansas / 6'5", 255
    (Former QB/LB at Iowa and former QB at Arkansas. Huge target has explosive talent that has finally found a home at TE. Tremendous upside)

7. Westlee Tonga / Utah / 6'4", 245

8. Gerald Christian / Louisville / 6'3", 242

9. Tyreese Russell / Eastern Michigan / 6'3", 242

10. Mitchell Henry / Western Kentucky / 6'4", 245

11t. MyCole Pruitt / Southern Illinois / 6'3", 250

11t. Jake McGee / Florida / 6'6", 250
    (Transferred from Virginia)

12. Sam Arneson / Wisconsin / 6'4", 254

13. Jeff Heuerman / Ohio St. / 6'5", 252

14. Randall Telfer / USC / 6'4", 250

15. Kivon Cartwright / Colorado St. / 6'4", 245

16. Nick Boyle / Delaware / 6'6", 270

17. Kennard Backman / UAB / 6'3", 258

18. Connor Hamlett / Oregon St. / 6'7", 263

19. Justin Tukes / UCF / 6'5", 257

20. Braxton Deaver / Duke / 6'5", 240

21. C.J. Uzomah / Auburn / 6'4", 258

22. Malcolm Johnson / Mississippi St. / 6'2", 235

23. Jon Davis / Illinois / 6'3", 240

24. Cameron Clear / Texas A&M / 6'6", 270
    (Transfer from Tennessee where he was kicked off the team. Has legitimate talent. Might be the biggest TE in this class, which is a positive for him.)

25. Blake Bell / Oklahoma / 6'6", 252
    (The Belldozer is Sooners' former QB.)

26. Wes Saxton / South Alabama / 6'4", 240

27. Devin Mahina / BYU / 6'6", 247

28. Brian Vogler / Alabama / 6'7", 260

29. Eric Tomlinson / UTEP / 6'7", 260

30. Eric Frohnapfel / Marshall / 6'6", 230

31. Matt LaCosse / Illinois / 6'6", 245

32. Mike McFarland / USF / 6'5", 244

33. Gabe Holmes / Purdue / 6'5", 243

34. C.J. Parsons / Boston College / 6'6", 253

35. Travis Dickson / LSU / 6'3", 230

Underclassman:

1. Maxx Williams / Minnesota / 6'4", 254

2. Devin Funchess / Michigan / 6'5", 235

3. Pharaoh Brown / Oregon / 6'6", 241

4. Jesse James / Penn St. / 6'7", 257

4_1107473.jpg
    (Simply put, this kid is an athletic freak. He'll put up nearly 30 reps of 225 and run 4.7.)

5. Darion Griswold / Arkansas St. / 6'5", 264

6. Tyler Kroft / Rutgers / 6'6", 240

7. Jay Rome / Georgia / 6'6", 254

8. Kyle Carter / Penn St. / 6'3", 243

9. Jean Sifrin / UMASS / 6'7", 250

9. Stanton Seckinger / Clemson / 6'4", 230

10. Dillon Gordon / LSU / 6'5", 286

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Who do you see fitting as good complements to Clay? I still think this is a position that Miami needs to find a playmaker.

3. Tannenbombs

Tannenbombs FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Have a hard time with Jesse James over Funchess..

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Can't help but think C.J. Uzomah is really underrated.

5. TedSlimmJr

Jesse James is a monster. Funchess is outstanding also. Only concern I have regarding Funchess is that he's more of a big WR than a tight end. He's essentially playing receiver.

Maxx Williams is really the most intriguing kid to me among my underclassman TE's. He's going to be a good one.

6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

FWIW Slimm Funchess has moved to WR full time

7. TedSlimmJr

Yeah I thought I pointed that out for the most part. He might as well be evaluated by the league as a wide receiver. That's where I'd play him and will most likely evaluate him as a receiver.

8. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Best for funchess that he did switch to wr cause that guy was pillow soft trying to play tight end on my looks
    Last year...although if he's gonna be drafted as a wr he better not just be a big body but have some suddenness to his game...I was not interested in the player as a tight end at all...

Potential tweener here...which rarely works out

9. Tannenbombs

I viewed Funchess as Jimmy Graham Flex/Slot type TE. However he seemed very comfortable out there at WR this past Saturday, albeit it was against App State. Jesse James is physically impressive but is not a natural hands catcher.

10. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Jesse James is a huge target and has the wheels to pressure the seam. Reminds me of Todd Heap.

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Fun fact about James, he was recruited as an OT but then when Penn State saw his athleticism kept him at TE.

The Michigan TE to watch is currently hurt, but Jake Butt is gonna be a solid TE prospect in his own right

12. ckparrothead

I was compiling as much relevant film on C.J. Uzomah as I could last night. Wasn't happy with the video quality so I didn't put it up on YouTube or anything, it's just another collection in the film library for now.

I think he's another one of these glorified wide receiver types whose blocking people will question. But the fact of the matter is he's 6'5" & 265 lbs, and he looks big and strong on the film. If Michael Egnew can become a good blocker by the end, then there's no reason a guy as big, strong and physical as C.J. Uzomah can't. He's not a blocker right now because he transitioned from QB to WR to TE. It's more teaching and usage than anything else right now. I wouldn't question Uzomah's physicality out on the field. He blows people up after the catch, breaks tackles, and he can take vicious hits and keep hold of the ball (he took one by Mosley that would have shaken up most players, hung onto the ball).

Love his overall body control, flexibility and burst. There were two touchdown catches in 2013 he caught from a perimeter WR position where he did a stop-and-go against defensive backs, actually creating the separation he needed to catch the ball. That's how he caught the game-winning touchdown against Mississippi State's Cedric Jiles with 10 seconds left in the game. He also caught a touchdown that way against Cyrus Jones of Alabama. A 265 lbs guy able to create separation on 180-195 lbs corners? You kidding me?

He's on Slimm's list, so he knows about him. I think he should probably be higher on the list but that's not important. I'm not seeing Uzomah brought up by ANYONE in the draft community (CBS Sports, Rotoworld, Bleacher Report, Yahoo, NFL Network, etc). In that way this reminds me of Troy Niklas a year ago where it seemed I kept talking and talking about him for months and all of those draft guys were more or less thinking, "who?". Except I wouldn't compare Uzomah the player on the field to Niklas, more to Vance McDonald but with much, much, much better hands (from what I've seen).

13. TedSlimmJr

Uzomah's a nice player. He's just one of those guys that's been caught between positions and doesn't really have the production to put ahead of the players in front of him. However, he's clutch and always comes up big when he's given an opportunity. He could easily climb up my board with a solid season. A lot of the best TE's in the NFL didn't have a lot of production in college. Some had none at all.

14. ckparrothead

That position is difficult to evaluate based on production. So many college offenses out there just don't even bother with the tight end, regardless of how good of a player they have there. Some college offenses are so run-based that even if they give a healthy amount of attention in the passing game to the tight end he still only ends up with like 20 catches.

It's the combination of size, strength, body control, burst and pure ball skills that really has me going with Uzomah. And as you say there were some clutch plays in there.

15. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here. Finheaven VIP

Jake McGee broke his leg in the first half yesterday.

16. Tannenbombs

Jimmy Graham spends 2/3 of his snaps in the slot or flexed out. Devin Funchess will do the same. It's the new breed of TE.

I would think Jesse James would wait till next year and play another year with Hackenburg but idk.

17. Tannenbombs

Jesse James reminds me of a lesser Troy Niklas. James has much more athleticism/fluidness but is less of a blocker and has worse hands. I've watched probably 80% of every game Christian Hackenberg has played in because I think he is the next star "elite" quarterback, and it seems James is dropping 2 passes every game.

18. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

At 6-5 and 250 I think a guy to watch is Pharoah Brown. The Ducks don't throw to the TE as often as the did with Lyerla, though he was dinged up all the time and the position was inconsistent, but Brown as nice hands, runs a good route, and is a nice option around the goal line. I'm not sure about overall speed, but he seems to get chunks of yardage. He also fights for extra yardage, one dude has a tough time bringing him down.

19. Tannenbombs

Not a fan of Koyack? Haven't studied him but from what I've seen live looks like a 4th-5th round guy thus far.

20. Tannenbombs

Slimm, how many legitimate starters do you see in this class, if Williams, Funchess, Brown, and James declare?

21. ckparrothead

Does anyone really buy Devin Funchess as a wide receiver at the next level?

I sure don't.

But I see some other people mention him being a WR at the next level. He is currently a wide receiver, there's no denying that, but I also don't know how anyone can watch him play and expect that he'll stay there at the next level.

22. Tannenbombs

Not one iota. I mentioned earlier in this thread I evaluate him as a flex TE. Like a Ladarius Green type. I don't think he's anything to write home about either. Not a first round pick. In the top 50 range. Hard to tell exactly because I still have over 3/4 of the class to evaluate. But I already have 32 prospects better than him at this point.

23. ckparrothead

I guess I'm in the minority here but I like him. The way he moves for a tight end in short spaces and the body control, it just looks unfair at times and this is why you bring tight ends on the field.

24. Tannenbombs

I mean I think he's a solid TE. But is he on the level of Ertz, Eifert, or Ebron coming out? I would say no. I didn't love Ebron coming out either but I'd say there's a legitimate gap between him and Funchess. Is he going to be a pro bowl TE? I'd say no. Can he be pretty solid? Yes. In terms of NFL effectiveness, I think he'll be at about the same level as Colby Fleener.

25. Tannenbombs

After finish up the eval on Jake Fisher.. Pharaoh Brown just keeps flashing... Looks like a top 75-100 guy. Potentially higher. The only tape I was closely watching him was UCLA. Again, unless there is a report of him or any other underclassmen declaring, I'll hold off on there evaluation until they do so.

26. ckparrothead

I'm not quite sure I understand the dislike for Devin Funchess. He's a play-maker, a gifted athlete, has a huge frame, catches the ball well, has great short-area quickness, has some long speed as well.

Is this about blocking concerns? I'm not sure how concerning that really ought to be. For two reasons, really.

First off, players can learn to block. It happens all the time, if they have the physical ability. Even Michael Egnew was a decent blocker by the end, and his exit from the league had nothing to do with his blocking ability and everything to do with him being too dumb to execute a playbook and be a functional part of a sophisticated passing game.

Secondly, I don't think guys like Jimmy Graham and Jordan Cameron are great tight ends in this league because they block, nor were teams especially concerned with their blocking weaknesses as glorified wide receivers when they came out of school.

So just keep in mind, the most important thing to evaluate are his matchup skills in the passing game.

I mean, get an NFL caliber safety like Kurtis Drummond matched on him and he kind of makes this look easy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXj2-aEKhE&feature=player_detailpage#t=70

Putting corners like V'Angelo Bentley, Doran Grant, Trae Waynes, Bradley Roby, Cody Riggs or Jordan Ford on him might fit the legal definition of abuse:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HZEjSf6LQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=42
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXj2-aEKhE&feature=player_detailpage#t=147
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HZEjSf6LQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBOWI0eNbk&feature=player_detailpage#t=208
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBOWI0eNbk&feature=player_detailpage#t=225
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HZEjSf6LQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=128
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wrgrfewgcys#t=165

Not gonna be easy for linebackers like Glenn Carson, Kolin Hill or John Law to keep up with the guy, man or zone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HZEjSf6LQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=117
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBOWI0eNbk&feature=player_detailpage#t=193
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wrgrfewgcys#t=127

And best of luck to you if you try and get cute and have a smallish end like Romeo Okwara pull out to try and deal with Funchess:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBOWI0eNbk&feature=player_detailpage#t=35

This is what it's all about. It's where the rubber meets the road. You have a tight end on the field because he's a matchup nightmare. You get a safety on him and he's too big. You get a corner on him and he's way too big. You get a linebacker on him and he's too fast. You get a defensive lineman pulling out in zone and he's way too fast. Matchup problem.

I'm not saying he's perfect or anything but he's a pretty good prospect for the position.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  27. Tannenbombs

I think he's solid. No one will sell me on a top 20 pick at any position though.

28. Tannenbombs

I think the TE is similar to the QB and DE(or 3-4 OLB) positions. If anyone shows any flashes of physical talent, everyone just thinks they can mold them into an All-Pro.

A few examples: TE Eric Ebron in 2014. DE Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo in 2013 ( Ironically, I was higher on Ziggy Ansah because of his upside) QB Ryan Tannehill 2012.

I'm a big believer in physical talent. You can't coach it. But that doesn't mean you reach for it with a top 10 pick. There are plenty of other players that have physical talent, and a good position specific skill-set. You have to weigh both aspects of a prospect. Coaches think that they can turn any player into an All-Pro. When that's not really the case. When you get towards the later rounds I'm all about physical talent. But early (especially in the top 10) you would like to draft a prospect with physical talent AND a good position skill-set.

I think that's part of the reason that Funchess is being hyped up. But to his credit, TE is the position where you see the most improvement from college to pro. I just wouldn't spend a first round pick on him. I think Funchess' physical talent is a bit overrated. Ebron blows him out of the water in that aspect and has shown willingness to lock horns and block somebody, even if he isn't Jason Witten in that regard.

29. Tannenbombs

I really want to see Maxx Williams declare.

30. ckparrothead

E.J. Bibbs is a good prospect. He has really great hands for the position. I've not been tempted to compare anyone to Dwayne Allen but he comes close. Not a huge target at only 6'3", but he's very thick, blocks well, gets open, quarterback friendly, and man can he catch the football.

31. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

How good is O'Leary? Are there any concerns? Does Jameis Winston help to make him look good with some ridiculous throws?
    Which current NFL player does O'Leary remind you of? I know that he just happens to be Jack Nicklaus' grandson, so there is a very good chance that Nick has good character and can handle himself in the spotlight.

32. TedSlimmJr

He's good enough to be the top Senior tight end in this class, but not good enough to be the consensus top Senior tight end in this class. In other words, he's in the conversation in my opinion, but some may like a few others better. I'm not sure I don't. It just depends on what you're looking for. Not every offense needs the same thing or same skillset.

Jameis Winston helps everybody. That's irrelevant. O'Leary was the same player with E.J. Manuel.

I don't know about current players, maybe Chris Cooley. He's always reminded me a lot of Frank Wycheck when he played with the Titans. You can line him up in-line or at H-back. Very experienced, battle tested, and has always produced. Does a lot of the dirty work for FSU's offense which goes unnoticed. Not great at any one aspect... not a mismatch in the passing game. Projects more as a steady, dependable type pro. The Nicklaus factor will carry some weight. Seems to be a good kid. Definitely comes from a good family. Hard worker.

33. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

After watching him go 60+ yards the other night I'm impressed with Clive Walford. Pretty good wheels for a big dude.

34. TedSlimmJr

He's another one that belongs in the conversation. Slightly better seam threat than O'Leary. Walford ends up about a Troy Drayton caliber TE in the NFL.

35. ckparrothead

I'm not sure I have seen a tight end prospect for this year's draft with better pure catching ability than Bibbs. Reminds me of Austin Seferian-Jenkins last year that way, though obviously smaller. I wasn't the biggest fan of ASJ's overall athletic profile but the thing I could always go back to for him being a valuable draft prospect was his pure ability to catch the football from any angle, any position, no matter what his coverage is doing to him or to the ball physically. Sort of like Jarvis Landry as a receiver. E.J. Bibbs has that.

And he's athletic enough to keep getting open and be the focal point of his offense even though he tore his meniscus a week before the season began.

36. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Agree. Unreal hands. Nice athlete.

37. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

For me Walford is head and shoulders the best TE in the class. As a seam threat he has everything: some burst, great hands - highpoints the ball, he ghosts past players with great movement skills, positions his body well in contested situations. To me, he's one of those rare players each season for whom the game is moving more slowly than it is for everyone else. He's a willing blocker, but technically it's all a bit of a mess, as far as I can see. I think his footwork when blocking is lousy, but that's very correctable I guess.

I'm sure there are plenty on here who seem him weekly in person and so might have a different perspective, or who know his character better. But I see a tremendous asset in the pass game and a guy who can be at least very competent in-line.

In terms of old-school in-line TEs with a little pass game upside, I like the Notre Dame kid Koyack. He looks the smartest player out of this TE class to me. Very sound blocker, he looks extremely aware and assignment sound. Hasn't been used hugely out wide, but he's not devoid of ability there from the clips I've seen. With Lynch in the stable, I doubt a guy like him would be a target for Miami, but he'll be a nice pickup for someone if he can be had in the 4th. Not a great year for TEs though, so I suspect they'll all be overdrafted somewhat.

38. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

I've never heard a negative thing about Clive character wise, and his work ethic is supposed to be very good. What I like about him is that he has continually improved his game. He used to have some issues with drops, but I only recall two this season. He used to be a mess blocking, but that is greatly improved this year, and I think with a little more work/time he will be a plus blocker. His one main liability was supposed to be his speed. But I think he's one of those guys who plays faster with pads on than he runs on the track. I think he'd be a great option for the Fins, because we need a TE who can win in the redzone and he does that very well.

39. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

Maxx Williams has declared, intriguing skillset.

40. Tannenbombs

Slimm,

what are your thoughts on Jean Sifrin?