Seniors:

1. Nick O'Leary / Florida St. / 6'3", 248

2. Clive Walford / Miami / 6'4", 259

3. Rory Anderson / South Carolina / 6'4", 242
tenndonk.0_standard_709.0.gif

4. Ben Koyack / Notre Dame / 6'5", 261

5. E.J. Bibbs / Iowa St. / 6'3", 250

6. A.J. Derby / Arkansas / 6'5", 255
(Former QB/LB at Iowa and former QB at Arkansas. Huge target has explosive talent that has finally found a home at TE. Tremendous upside)

7. Westlee Tonga / Utah / 6'4", 245

8. Gerald Christian / Louisville / 6'3", 242

9. Tyreese Russell / Eastern Michigan / 6'3", 242

10. Mitchell Henry / Western Kentucky / 6'4", 245

11t. MyCole Pruitt / Southern Illinois / 6'3", 250

11t. Jake McGee / Florida / 6'6", 250
(Transferred from Virginia)

12. Sam Arneson / Wisconsin / 6'4", 254

13. Jeff Heuerman / Ohio St. / 6'5", 252

14. Randall Telfer / USC / 6'4", 250

15. Kivon Cartwright / Colorado St. / 6'4", 245

16. Nick Boyle / Delaware / 6'6", 270

17. Kennard Backman / UAB / 6'3", 258

18. Connor Hamlett / Oregon St. / 6'7", 263

19. Justin Tukes / UCF / 6'5", 257

20. Braxton Deaver / Duke / 6'5", 240

21. C.J. Uzomah / Auburn / 6'4", 258

22. Malcolm Johnson / Mississippi St. / 6'2", 235

23. Jon Davis / Illinois / 6'3", 240

24. Cameron Clear / Texas A&M / 6'6", 270
(Transfer from Tennessee where he was kicked off the team. Has legitimate talent. Might be the biggest TE in this class, which is a positive for him.)

25. Blake Bell / Oklahoma / 6'6", 252
(The Belldozer is Sooners' former QB.)

26. Wes Saxton / South Alabama / 6'4", 240

27. Devin Mahina / BYU / 6'6", 247

28. Brian Vogler / Alabama / 6'7", 260

29. Eric Tomlinson / UTEP / 6'7", 260

30. Eric Frohnapfel / Marshall / 6'6", 230

31. Matt LaCosse / Illinois / 6'6", 245

32. Mike McFarland / USF / 6'5", 244

33. Gabe Holmes / Purdue / 6'5", 243

34. C.J. Parsons / Boston College / 6'6", 253

35. Travis Dickson / LSU / 6'3", 230

Underclassman:

1. Maxx Williams / Minnesota / 6'4", 254

2. Devin Funchess / Michigan / 6'5", 235

3. Pharaoh Brown / Oregon / 6'6", 241

4. Jesse James / Penn St. / 6'7", 257

4_1107473.jpg
(Simply put, this kid is an athletic freak. He'll put up nearly 30 reps of 225 and run 4.7.)

5. Darion Griswold / Arkansas St. / 6'5", 264

6. Tyler Kroft / Rutgers / 6'6", 240

7. Jay Rome / Georgia / 6'6", 254

8. Kyle Carter / Penn St. / 6'3", 243

9. Jean Sifrin / UMASS / 6'7", 250

9. Stanton Seckinger / Clemson / 6'4", 230

10. Dillon Gordon / LSU / 6'5", 286

Last edited by a moderator:
Who do you see fitting as good complements to Clay? I still think this is a position that Miami needs to find a playmaker.

Jesse James is a monster. Funchess is outstanding also. Only concern I have regarding Funchess is that he's more of a big WR than a tight end. He's essentially playing receiver.

Maxx Williams is really the most intriguing kid to me among my underclassman TE's. He's going to be a good one.

FWIW Slimm Funchess has moved to WR full time

Yeah I thought I pointed that out for the most part. He might as well be evaluated by the league as a wide receiver. That's where I'd play him and will most likely evaluate him as a receiver.

Best for funchess that he did switch to wr cause that guy was pillow soft trying to play tight end on my looks
Last year...although if he's gonna be drafted as a wr he better not just be a big body but have some suddenness to his game...I was not interested in the player as a tight end at all...

Potential tweener here...which rarely works out

I viewed Funchess as Jimmy Graham Flex/Slot type TE. However he seemed very comfortable out there at WR this past Saturday, albeit it was against App State. Jesse James is physically impressive but is not a natural hands catcher.

Fun fact about James, he was recruited as an OT but then when Penn State saw his athleticism kept him at TE.

The Michigan TE to watch is currently hurt, but Jake Butt is gonna be a solid TE prospect in his own right

I was compiling as much relevant film on C.J. Uzomah as I could last night. Wasn't happy with the video quality so I didn't put it up on YouTube or anything, it's just another collection in the film library for now.

I think he's another one of these glorified wide receiver types whose blocking people will question. But the fact of the matter is he's 6'5" & 265 lbs, and he looks big and strong on the film. If Michael Egnew can become a good blocker by the end, then there's no reason a guy as big, strong and physical as C.J. Uzomah can't. He's not a blocker right now because he transitioned from QB to WR to TE. It's more teaching and usage than anything else right now. I wouldn't question Uzomah's physicality out on the field. He blows people up after the catch, breaks tackles, and he can take vicious hits and keep hold of the ball (he took one by Mosley that would have shaken up most players, hung onto the ball).

Love his overall body control, flexibility and burst. There were two touchdown catches in 2013 he caught from a perimeter WR position where he did a stop-and-go against defensive backs, actually creating the separation he needed to catch the ball. That's how he caught the game-winning touchdown against Mississippi State's Cedric Jiles with 10 seconds left in the game. He also caught a touchdown that way against Cyrus Jones of Alabama. A 265 lbs guy able to create separation on 180-195 lbs corners? You kidding me?

He's on Slimm's list, so he knows about him. I think he should probably be higher on the list but that's not important. I'm not seeing Uzomah brought up by ANYONE in the draft community (CBS Sports, Rotoworld, Bleacher Report, Yahoo, NFL Network, etc). In that way this reminds me of Troy Niklas a year ago where it seemed I kept talking and talking about him for months and all of those draft guys were more or less thinking, "who?". Except I wouldn't compare Uzomah the player on the field to Niklas, more to Vance McDonald but with much, much, much better hands (from what I've seen).

Uzomah's a nice player. He's just one of those guys that's been caught between positions and doesn't really have the production to put ahead of the players in front of him. However, he's clutch and always comes up big when he's given an opportunity. He could easily climb up my board with a solid season. A lot of the best TE's in the NFL didn't have a lot of production in college. Some had none at all.

That position is difficult to evaluate based on production. So many college offenses out there just don't even bother with the tight end, regardless of how good of a player they have there. Some college offenses are so run-based that even if they give a healthy amount of attention in the passing game to the tight end he still only ends up with like 20 catches.

It's the combination of size, strength, body control, burst and pure ball skills that really has me going with Uzomah. And as you say there were some clutch plays in there.

Back
Top Bottom