Slimm's 2017 Offensive Line (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Offensive Line (Underclassman)

No other way to say this, I am a big fan of Cam Robinson. I had not been intentionally evaluating him but he's hard not to notice when you're watching other guys in the games. I started watching him in more earnest and was pretty impressed. But then the series of explosions of opposite force that constituted his game versus Myle Garrett pretty much sealed my fandom. If that's how he's going to approach the game in the NFL when sh-t gets real, sign me up. That game tape was pure sex.

Cam Robinson's talent and potential is immeasurable. Against Garrett was his best game all season. Probably his best since the playoffs last year. He has the athleticism to get out in space and execute blocks on smaller, faster moving targets that the rest of these guys simply can't do. Nor would you even ask them to attempt it. His athleticism is on anther level from guys like McGlinchey. Doesn't have the consistency or technique of McGlinchey, which is what I like about him, but has the ability to be a better left tackle than McGlinchey in the NFL if he developes more consistency and focuses on the technique itself every play, rather than coasting on his natural gifts.

The issue with Cam Robinson is, and was always between his ears. Decision making and focus, that's the only two things that worry me about Cam. He's good for at minimum, 1 false start every single game. Except for the Texas A&M game oddly enough. It drives me absolutely crazy. Because he is capable of playing a perfect game much more often than he does. He's also good for 1 bad decision off the field every year when 'nobody is watching'.

If you knew you could just get the football player that showed up against Myles Garrett and Texas A&M, that guy is worthy of a top 3 pick. Even though Garrett was only about 70% healthy for that game. However, the reality is, I'd bet on you getting the entire package that makes up Cam Robinson. You're also getting the guy that has mental lapses on the regular, doesn't always play up to his potential, commits the same dumb penalty over and over, and likes to find himself in bad situations due to the poor decision and the types of people he chooses to surround himself with. But that guy is still easily worthy of a top 15 pick.

The interesting thing is Robinson hasn't even been Bama's best offensive lineman this season. True freshman RT Jonah Williams consistently grades out as Alabama's best and most consistent lineman. Kid's a freak and probably going to be even better than Robinson, if he's not already. He won SEC FOTW award after his first ever college game against USC. As if it wasn't already impressive enough that he was able to come in and start at RT as a true freshman for the #1 team in the country.

Even more impressive, he won SEC OPOTW honors after 3 of his first 4 games. He's just so mature for his age and so technically sound, on top of having such tremendous strength, talent, and athletic ability. Lives in the weight room. Jonah Williams was being offered scholarships before any of these schools had even seen him play a game in high school.....rather just after watching him go through technique drills.

He was Jake Browning's teammate in high school at Folsom. No surprise they finished undefeated with a perfect 16-0 record. This kid doesn't lose many football games for a reason. Take the time to watch him vs. Daeshon Hall also. It's worth it. Jonah Williams is the next great offensive lineman to come down the pike in Tuscaloosa.

We live in a world where the word 'potential' gets tossed around willy-nilly based on scant evidence, non-existent evidence or mis-interpreted evidence.

When you see it true and staring you right in the face, and I mean really see it for what it is, I will always allow some room for a college kid to be a college kid. I mean we sat here and discussed the felony charges half a year ago, and even above as I slobber on the guy I'm alluding to the uneven tape. I get it. But I've seen waaaaay worse end up Mr. Character at the next level. And I've seen way worse not improve that way one bit, and still come out smelling like flowers because of the spin cycle that happens when guys are professionals and there is money at play.

The risk that a player coming from college to pro flat out can't play at a compelling level usually dwarfs the risk that a maturing young guy will be off the rails from a character standpoint. I do understand those risks. Identifying and managing risk is technically a lot of what I do for a living. I'm just saying very simply, sign me up.

District Attorney refuses to press charges on Cam Robinson or his teammate and in his statement reiterated that he focused on not wanting to ruin two young mens' lives who have put in so much hard work and sweat while the rest of us sit in air conditioning.

He might as well have finished with, "Roll Tide!"

That doesn't mean they'll escape severe punishment from Bama though. The DA left open the possibility of re-opening the case and Bama will scrutinize the evidence themselves.

It leaves me wondering if Robinson would drop to Miami's spot in round 1 and whether the Dolphins might take him. Obviously a different scenario than Tunsil, but on talent alone Robinson would have to be considered. Honestly, I see him more as a guard and it's hard not to be excited by the possibility of Tunsil at LT and Robinson at LG. Thoughts?

I would probably flip that but it would be a good problem to have.

First rule is take a great player when he's available, instead of a good player. So on that basis you've got to pay attention when and if a guy like him falls to you. That said, it would seem to me we've got some other fish to fry.

Back
Top Bottom