Slimm's 2018 Wide Receivers (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Wide Receivers (Seniors)

The size and arm length definitely lend themselves to the Chambers comparison. He's 5'11" & 210 lbs with 34" arms. That's pretty much Chris Chambers to a T. I've heard several Senior Bowl attendees make the same comparison. It's spot on.

Would Washington make a nice slot replacement for Landry if he's on the board early in the 3rd? Prior to this week I thought there was a good chance he could slip to the 3rd round, but now it doesn't seem as likely.

Said it elsewhere, but the way DJ Chark moves reminds me of Ted Ginn Jr., and I can see a similar role for him in the NFL - with Chark being bigger/thicker but not quite as fast as Ginn.

Said it elsewhere, but the way DJ Chark moves reminds me of Ted Ginn Jr., and I can see a similar role for him in the NFL - with Chark being bigger/thicker but not quite as fast as Ginn.

Just curious how much of Linell Bonner you've seen....this kid had the best pair of hands I'd seen in college football the past 3 years. Always been an underrated player.

Just curious how much of Linell Bonner you've seen....this kid had the best pair of hands I'd seen in college football the past 3 years. Always been an underrated player.

Completely off my radar, but I'm checking him out right now, and I see what you mean! Also like his physicality - looks and plays bigger than listed height/weight.

Making the case for WR Daurice Fountain.

Before we even get to the pro day let's get it out there that he's been the leader of the receiving corp at UNI for three years. They don't throw the football a whole lot at UNI but when they do, he's been the big receiving target there since he was relatively young. He actually became the team's #1 WR partway through his freshman year in 2014. Going back to how UNI doesn't throw much, they hadn't had a receiver catch 3 TDs in a single game in over a decade. Daurice Fountain has done it twice.

Now you get to what he's like as a member of the team. To that end I like to look at interviews done by coaches and teammates throughout the years, to sort of see the evolution. But very early in his career, you're seeing comments like, "Man, he works hard." and then as you go through the years they keep piling up, "Worked his tail off", and "Big personality, loud, always practices hard, everyone always knows where Daurice is, challenges everyone around him all day long."

Fast forward some more and you have him attending East-West Shrine practices. It was universally agreed that he was one of the biggest standouts during practice week. He got the game MVP (which is saying something for a wide receiver and return man to get that) because he stood out just as much during the game itself.

I always like to say about All Star practices and game that they don't hurt you, can really only help you, I realize that in effect yes they can hurt you because if other guys at your position help themselves then they could leap-frog you on the rankings and that will hurt you. But that's very indirect and I'm not sure it's even useful to consider it. The point of the matter is All Star practices are a strange enough setting that I don't like to ding a guy if it doesn't work out there, because the setting as a pro (where you have months or even years to 'get it' as opposed to mere days) will be so much different. On the other hand, if you can show up to that odd setting and separate yourself CLEARLY (not just narratively, but with real, undeniable, consistent and significant performance), then that really does bode well for your NFL career. There are really only a handful of guys I find that separate in this manner at All Star practices and the game. The rest of the guys you hear about are mostly subject to jawboning. Daurice Fountain was one of those guys that really did separate himself at Shrine practice and in the game.

Now you get to the athleticism. I'm just trying to stress that the story was already there before you got to the athleticism. The tape was really good. The character was really good. The production (if you take account of their tendencies) was really good. He nailed his Shrine practices and game more than perhaps any other player at the All Star setting.

Smart kid, great communicator in interviews, bible study guy, teammates gush about him personally, wants to be a football coach when he's done.

And now he measures 6014 & 204 lbs, runs between a 4.46 and 4.53, does a 42.5" vertical leap and 11'2" broad jump, with 14 bench reps. Both the vertical and broad jump numbers would've been the best at the Combine among WRs.

That's a beautiful prospect. That's an under-followed guy that nails it every step of the way, and that's what you love to see, and it really does bode well for his NFL career.

As for the tape, listen I can describe to you what I see, but I just don't know that I find it has a ton of value in this setting. People are going to see whatever they're going to see. I'd rather just give you the opportunity to see for yourself.

If there's something I would just point out and emphasize, it's to pay attention to the speed with which he takes the ball from the point it makes contact with his hands, to bringing it into his body and/or away from the defender's reach. It's consistent. That can be really important at the position, and it bodes well for his future.

He reminds me of Nuk Hopkins. I don't mean to be hyperbolic with that comparison. I obviously have no idea if his career will take him that far. I'm just saying stylistically. Although to be fair, the dreads and the #10 probably do a lot to re--enforce that comparison subliminally.

I happen to have a contact at UNI that came to me months ago offering to get a hard drive full of UNI tape and cut up any prospect I wanted to see, and I gave him Fountain's name. That's not on YouTube yet. But in the mean time, here is some stuff you can find out there:

2017 full game vs NDSU

Interview at the Pro Day

Some highlights from the Shrine Game

Career highlights from UNI

Last edited:
Completely off my radar, but I'm checking him out right now, and I see what you mean! Also like his physicality - looks and plays bigger than listed height/weight.

I can't put my finger on know why but I'm reminded of Marvin McNutt.

There will be some realities to contend with for a 5114 & 200 lbs player who "plays big" (which is code for slow). The combination of hands and run after catch are what would sell the story.

My goodness it's basically a Jarvis Landry clone.

Any thoughts on Jester Weah of Pittsburgh. Weah is 6'2 210 runs a 4.4 and seems like a solid prospect for someone projected to go in the 6th or 7th round. I think his numbers dipped a bit without Nathan Peterman in 2017, but he could be a sleeper.

That's always been what stood out to me with Bonner, and he blocks his ass off in that offense. Tenacious. He's a tremendous hustler...he'll get after guys on an interception and run em down.

As CK mentioned, he's slower and less explosive. Probably even slower and less explosive than Jarvis Landry, but I like the comparison. That's his game. Clutch receptions from the slot...tenacious blocker, incredible awareness and toughness, body control. Dependable hands.

Any thoughts on Jester Weah of Pittsburgh. Weah is 6'2 210 runs a 4.4 and seems like a solid prospect for someone projected to go in the 6th or 7th round. I think his numbers dipped a bit without Nathan Peterman in 2017, but he could be a sleeper.

I think he's a little better than 6th or 7th round. I'd like to think NFL teams know that too.

I think he's a little better than 6th or 7th round. I'd like to think NFL teams know that too.

Thanks for the heads up. I should have known better than to put too much stock in some of the mock drafts and draft projections. What round are you thinking he might be selected? I see you have rated higher than MIller, Lazard, Scott or Ateman.

Thanks for the heads up. I should have known better than to put too much stock in some of the mock drafts and draft projections. What round are you thinking he might be selected? I see you have rated higher than MIller, Lazard, Scott or Ateman.

Right now I have him around #136 overall on my board, which equates to a later 4th round pick.

Nothing is finalized yet and it's all still fluid....there will still be some adjustment up or down, but it gives you a general idea of where I have him.

In other words, it's unlikely that he won't be in my finalized top 150 players.

Here is one of the games for Daurice Fountain from the aforementioned hard drive of UNI tape. It’s Cal Poly. He made a bunch of plays in this game but he could have made even more. There was a big TD he missed because he didn’t get his feet down. There was another big one handed catch he made out of bounds but that ball was thrown far too wide for him to get even one foot down. You can see his traits, ability to get open, position himself for the ball. You can also see perhaps why better QB talent, even in an All Star setting, helped him to stand out, as there were a lot of execution issues in this game coming from the QB.

These are Cal Poly corners so you would like to see him dominate them. To that end, I would point particularly at the quick slant he took for a long touchdown, and the other touchdown off the scramble drill. On the first one, there were so much separation on a quick slant route that he never even got touched. That just is not supposed to happen. On the second one, the scramble drill, look how alone he is as he crosses the back of the end zone. That’s because of how fast and athletic he is, far too much for Cal Poly defensive backs. It’s what you want to see when you’re theorizing that you’re watching an NFL player play against a Cal Poly.

Where would Carroo rank if he were to be in this draft? He's got to be on thin ice but I still can't see them cutting him after investing 3 picks on the guy

Back
Top Bottom