Slot Cornerback | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slot Cornerback

Tankersly can't do it??

Tankersley is a boundary CB and you really want your slot CB to be a good tackler which Tankersley is not. That's why I was disappointed to see us pass on Corn Elder, would have been perfect for us in the slot.

Also, regardless of size, loose hips are a requirement in the slot. By definition, the receiver can shift quickly in either direction with no boundary limiting anything. It takes a certain athleticism to have good coverage against all that. Lippett and Max don't have that skill set. Howard might. Tankerlsey might. He looks fluid but I admittedly did not see him frequently in college.

But, the Pats have Cooks and Edelman and they will try feast all day in the middle of the field with quick hits where Wake, Harris and company have no shot of getting to the QB. The burden will be on inside coverage.

I think Howard will eventually win the job. He followed receivers all around the field in college from what I remember, he would probably be our best option in the slot.

I was really expecting more of nickel cb as well. Bobby was a liability as a tackler, and his size allowed him to get pushed around. He is the only cb on our roster who doesn't fit the system/size. Last year Maxwell followed Larry Fitzgerald for most of the game, and shut him down. I'm curious if he goes inside more this season. Tankersley also followed the VA tech TE, and did a great job. I wonder if we go with the best 3, and move guys around.

In our scheme the perimeter CBs are press defenders and the guys we have fit that mold while the slot CB plays off the line, so there is a distinction and a difference when addressing the position prototypes.

The point I'm making is that a FO is more likely to pick the CB who they feel is the better overall player, rather than confining themselves to a guy with a specific skill set. That is the better long term strategy.
My post was in response to a post questioning why a slot CB wasn't taken in the 2nd or 3rd round.
If injuries hit the secondary hard, I would rather move one of my boundary CBs inside rather than have a slot CB play outside as the boundary CBs are usually the better overall players.

Tankersley is a boundary CB and you really want your slot CB to be a good tackler which Tankersley is not. That's why I was disappointed to see us pass on Corn Elder, would have been perfect for us in the slot.

They passed on the slot corner now for the starting boundary corner opposite Howard for the future. I get it. I love me some Corn too. I'll just trade for him in Madden 18.

Cordrea's potential was too good to pass up at the end of round three.

They passed on the slot corner now for the starting boundary corner opposite Howard for the future. I get it. I love me some Corn too. I'll just trade for him in Madden 18.

Cordrea's potential was too good to pass up at the end of round three.

The pick makes sense because there's no way we pay Byron Maxwell $10+ million per season. Not with Suh's contracting getting ready to balloon as well as Tannehill's. Had the Dolphins still had their 4th round pick they might have been able to get him.

Was going to ask about boundary vs slot CB but nicely addressed...would be great to see yet another recent pick like Bobby McCain come into his own the way Lippett started to last year.

I remember at one time when at the U of Pittsburgh, Lafayette Pitts was called a poor mans Darelle Revis. He was that highly thought of.

Was going to ask about boundary vs slot CB but nicely addressed...would be great to see yet another recent pick like Bobby McCain come into his own the way Lippett started to last year.

From what I can tell watching Bobby McCain play last year, his issues aren't physical they're mental. It's like he doesn't no film study and just relies on his athleticism to make plays. He looks utterly surprised when a WR makes a break on his route. He's either not reading his keys, doesn't do enough film study or he flat out doesn't care enough. I was pretty upset with him last year. By contrast, Lippett (they say) spends a lot of time in the film room, is always picking the DB coaches brain about situations and nuances of playing CB as well as Maxwell (the only true veteran CB we have). I've never heard that said about McCain.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

I remember at one time when at the U of Pittsburgh, Lafayette Pitts was called a poor mans Darelle Revis. He was that highly thought of.

Plus Revis went to Pitt so they made that connection for Pitt fans.

Agree with my man Spiketex. If you play back the Pats games, quick guys like Edelman ran quick slants and our defense was hopelessly lost. It was not just the slot guys. While we have good length in our corners, do we really have the guy with great hips who can cover shifty receivers? Guys like Lippett and Maxwell didn't have the hips to flip and contain the quick inside moves and slants by the Edelmans of the world. It was much more those routes -- not really boundary routes -- that killed us. What's worse, the routes were so quick, the QB had the ball out way too fast, nullifying any possible pass rush. Our defense has to get better in this regard.

Our safety play wasn't good enough either. Getting McDonald in here and a healthy Jones should help patrol the middle of the field better. That Steeler game in the cold was enough for Rambo to find a new line of work, bless his heart. That's maybe the worst free safety play I've ever seen. It's not the end of the world for Rambo. I'd be in awe playing free safety in the NFL just like he is. There are plenty of other careers out there.

As for McCain, I haven't given up. I've seen too many db's take a few years to figure it out. But we need competition there.

Spot on. That's probably the biggest team weakness right now and, unfortunately, doesn't help the team match-up with New England. I was surprised that Desmond King lasted as long as he did in the draft going in the fifth to San Diego. I really thought he'd be a target as well.

tankersley is best on the boundary.

I've knocked mccain a lot for his play last season, but i think the coaching staff loves him. They love high character guys that are supreme competitors. I hope he can turn the page a bit so to speak. He has the quickness, toughness, and measurements for the job.

nothing is worse than michael thomas one on one with an nfl caliber wide receiver.

Walt Aiken.

A guy I know we looked at and whom I like a lot is William Likely of Maryland. The kid is tiny, as in 5'7 Jakeem Grant tiny. But Likely has fantastic agility and change of direction and is ideal for covering the Edelman types in the slot.

He went undradted. IMHO, we should have drafted him late.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

A guy I know we looked at and whom I like a lot is William Likely of Maryland. The kid is tiny, as in 5'7 Jakeem Grant tiny. But Likely has fantastic agility and change of direction and is ideal for covering the Edelman types in the slot.

He went undradted. IMHO, we should have drafted him late.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's difficult enough for a guy to get drafted being 5-7, but add the fact he blew out his knee in October and is still recovering probably sealed his fate. Did he sign anywhere as an UDFA?

Back
Top Bottom