Slot Cornerback | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slot Cornerback

I'm uncertain but thinking that the slot CB position isn't glorified in college football. I would assume that more perimeter CBs (who have the slot CB skillet) are drafted and then relegated to playing slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perimeter CB vs Slot is just as different as Outside LB is vs Inside.

They require different traits and skill sets, so it's not just as easy as taking your third best perimeter CB and sliding him inside. This holds especially true for us as we have a press prototype on the outside which doesn't translate to the slot position. It's something we did not address but on the same note you can't fix everything in a single draft or even offseason for that matter.

Lafayette Pitts will be given an opportunity to compete for the job as well.

I have high hope for Lafayette Pitts.

Shame Bobby has not progressed, when he 1st came to the Dolphins, though his coverage skill had a lot to be desired, he showed promise with how well he played the ball, and getting turnovers.

Tankersley is best on the boundary.

I've knocked McCain a lot for his play last season, but I think the coaching staff loves him. They love high character guys that are supreme competitors. I hope he can turn the page a bit so to speak. He has the quickness, toughness, and measurements for the job.

Nothing is worse than Michael Thomas one on one with an NFL caliber wide receiver.

Love Michael as a person but he shouldn't be playing anything but special teams

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Haha, he and Thomas are atrocious in coverage lol.

Ya I went to the Jags game a few years back when we were supposed to have "turned the corner" and Aikens was so bad.

He got beat long at least 3-5 times right in front of my face.

Such an embarrassing loss that was lol

I'm uncertain but thinking that the slot CB position isn't glorified in college football. I would assume that more perimeter CBs (who have the slot CB skillet) are drafted and then relegated to playing slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just the opposite. The slot CB position is the hardest position in the secondary to fill with a quality player both in college and in the NFL. It requires a DB with a different set of skills than the boundary. You're operating more in the middle of the field where traffic creates chaos and your man has multiple options to release....and you have to keep up.

It's a position that requires more film study and football IQ than the boundary. Have to know more down and distance tendencies...run/pass, etc.

The slot CB position used to just be an auxillary position where you just put your 3rd best CB on the opposition's 3rd best WR in theory. Not the case anymore. Not with the frequency in which teams are coming out in 11 personnel nowdays. You might be tasked with covering a small, fast, highly intelligent WR from the slot one week, and a 6'5", 240 pound flex TE the next, particularly in college. It varies so much because offenses in college have much more variety than they do in the NFL.

I know at Bama our base defense has basically become a 5 DB alignment. I've listened to Saban talk specifically about how difficult it is to match up with your slot CB position, or "Star" in Sabans defense.

Watch the last two national championship games and see how much trouble we had trying to cover Hunter Renfrow from the slot. He sight adjusts his route better than any receiver I've seen in college football. Kid was a walk on. And we can't cover him.

I have high hope for Lafayette Pitts.

Shame Bobby has not progressed, when he 1st came to the Dolphins, though his coverage skill had a lot to be desired, he showed promise with how well he played the ball, and getting turnovers.

And did he play the slot? I dont recall that he can/did. We have a number of DB's him, lucas this years pick etc but I think the only roster options are McCain and Thomas. Concerning for sure.

Someone brought up a good point on twitter yesterday. Bobby McCain is only 3 months older than Cordrea Tankersley. He is still young and has room to gain more knowledge of the game, refine his technique and grow into a decent player.

And did he play the slot? I dont recall that he can/did. We have a number of DB's him, lucas this years pick etc but I think the only roster options are McCain and Thomas. Concerning for sure.

No, as far as I know he is a boundary corner, and has never played slot, but you never know. I watched him a few times, and he does seem to move well inside, I personally would have no problem seeing how he does in the slot.

Back
Top Bottom