Snippet from Gosselin on RW and OL Coach Wise | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Snippet from Gosselin on RW and OL Coach Wise

Tailgater

Starter
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted already. I think it's pretty accurate:

From the Dallas Morning News:

"Ricky Williams has the ability to win an NFL rushing title in 2004. But the MIP — most important person — in his quest for a second rushing crown in three years is Tony Wise. And Wise won’t play a down for the Miami Dolphins.
Wise is the offensive line coach, and it’ll be his responsibility to assemble a blocking front capable of opening enough holes for Williams to capture another rushing title.

Wise is one of the top line coaches in the business. He built his reputation in Dallas, where he developed the Cowboys into one of the game’s best offensive lines in the early 1990s with Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan, Erik Williams and Mark Tuinei all becoming Pro Bowlers.

Wise will have to replace four starters on a Miami blocking front that allowed only 22 sacks and propelled Williams to a 1,300-yard rushing season in 2003. Right tackle Todd Wade left the Dolphins in free agency, and center Tim Ruddy and guards Jamie Nails and Todd Perry all became salary-cap casualties.

The one holdover is a youngster — left tackle Wade Smith, who enters his second season. Wise will plug veteran free agents Jeno James (guard) and John St. Clair (right tackle) into the lineup and ask youngsters Seth McKinney and Greg Jerman to produce as first-year starters. First-round draft pick Vernon Carey waits in the wings at right tackle.

Emmitt Smith bet on Wise and won two NFL rushing titles in Dallas. Williams can bet on him, too."

Encouraging. I think we need to see less carries and more production. I really don't want to see Ricky setting his third consecutive team record for most rushing attempts in a season....

Nice article.Hope the OL does gell in time to give Ricky another stellar season.

yeah me too, I'm tired of reading about Ricky being on the down side?!?!?! Give me a break.

feelthepain said:
yeah me too, I'm tired of reading about Ricky being on the down side?!?!?! Give me a break.

Agreed, however a few more years like the pounding he took last year and he will be aging ahead of his time. I agree with the OJ Mcduffie article that we really need to mix it up and get the passing game more involved. A balanced attack makes both the running and passing game more effective.
I don't think RW is on the down side of his career yet, but the holes he will have will be much bigger and easier to create for the O-line if we can make Ds take that 8th man out of the box.

Tailgater said:
Wise will have to replace four starters on a Miami blocking front that allowed only 22 sacks and propelled Williams to a 1,300-yard rushing season in 2003. Right tackle Todd Wade left the Dolphins in free agency, and center Tim Ruddy and guards Jamie Nails and Todd Perry all became salary-cap casualties.
Can you really use the word propelled in a sentence when talking about the o-line in '03? :shakeno:

NLude33 said:
Can you really use the word propelled in a sentence when talking about the o-line in '03? :shakeno:

That was my thought exactly. He made it seem like last year's line did so well.

Well, the offensive line is one of the most important pieces to production. If they can't open a hole, or protect the QB, it really won't matter who the QB or RB is. I just hope we can have a solid line that can do the job they need to.

Tailgater said:
Right tackle Todd Wade left the Dolphins in free agency, and center Tim Ruddy and guards Jamie Nails and Todd Perry all became salary-cap casualties.

I kind of resent how columists keep insisting that Perry and Nails were cap casualties. They didn't make beans. There's an argument for Ruddy because he was our highest paid OLmen last year, but the undeniable reason for Perry and Nail's dimissal is bcause they can't get it done.

outtawack311 said:
Umm...the 4 o-linemen werent cap casualties either. We just dumped them cause they suck.

No, I believe we'd still have Wade if he didn't demand as much money as he did.

I'd feel pretty good with him to because as pansy-like as he can be in creating a push on running plays, he's good at passblocking. our tackles weren't the problem in protecting the QB last year.

NLude33 said:
It might be hinted sarcasm.

Anyways, good read, I really liked it. Not often you read something positive about our beloved team. Ricky just needs the smallest of holes to bust through to the secondary, and hopefully our new line can produce those holes.

outtawack311 said:
Umm...the 4 o-linemen werent cap casualties either. We just dumped them cause they suck.

Yea, good point! It was time for those guys to go!

Wise definately has his work cut out for him this year with virtually a whole new squad. It's not going to be easy in the beginning, but I think after the squad develops some chemistry, we will be okay.

On a side note: It's interesting Jerman is getting a shot. He must have really come on and shown something this off-season to have his name mentioned (positively) a few times by the coaches and Rick.

Steve

What about Billy Yates? Haven't heard his name mentioned,and I did'nt think he did too bad in his limited action last year. :confused:

xiidaen said:
Encouraging.
truly an understatement. The OL will be the key to 2004, i.e. if RW gets better blocking and our QB gets a bit more protection our O has enuf players at the skills position to be pretty good (now with Boston).

Looks like all the crap Wanne took for bringing in Wise was unfounded based on his rep and Dallas connection, but he still did not help our W Smith enuf last year in key situations IMO

Back
Top Bottom