So let me understand this? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So let me understand this?

We can lose Landry and be fine. He's not a Julio or Green type

Landry is a piece to a puzzle but the picture is incomplete without an Alpha receiving threat....so as complimentary as he is to an offense he is not a number one playmaking type threat...to pay him as such a receiver is, IMO, a mistake.

What he does consistently is lose control and cost the team in penalties, and now, ejections....his antics are escalating. To pay a ransom for such childish undisciplined play is a mistake.

Is he a legitimate player that can add value to a team?...Absolutely...Is he worth locking up 12-14 million a year?...not IMO....Our team doesn't have the cap or the talent to compensate for what he brings to the table. If we had a top dog receiver that could threaten to score every play(much like A. Brown or J. Jones) then it would be easier to stomach who Landry is......but we don't....He is not a play maker that gives us an advantage on the scoreboard....if he was the ppg would indicate his value...of course this is only an opinion from a long time fan of the Dolphins...

If Landry ran deeper, we would need more qb’s on the roster. There isnt enough time to throw. Also, Is Landry freestyling it or is running routes he is asked?
See, this right here is what kills me. Tanehill is what, the 3rd or 4th passer in the NFL with a clean pocket. What does that tell you? It tells me that upgrading the QB is about the lowest priority on a list that is a mile long. Landry? I want him back at about 11 million, nothing more. But letting him go creates another hole unless people believe Caroo can step up. I believe he can, but I'm an old Scarlet Knight so I am biased.

Landry is an important part of this Dolphins team, but the feeling I get is that the FO seems to be tired of him and his antics, not to mention his salary demand. This is just an opinion of course but the mere fact that we haven't resigned him although he is the "heart and soul" of this team not to mention that according to some he is our only legitimate receiver speaks volumes. If we resign landry I will not be surprised, but there is more going on here behind the scenes.

That "heart and soul" left his team in a bind because of his boorish after play antics. And it will only get worse going forward. Too many within the division understand how to push his buttons. And Landry has shown zero maturity in his ability to deal with it.

See, this right here is what kills me. Tanehill is what, the 3rd or 4th passer in the NFL with a clean pocket. What does that tell you? It tells me that upgrading the QB is about the lowest priority on a list that is a mile long. Landry? I want him back at about 11 million, nothing more. But letting him go creates another hole unless people believe Caroo can step up. I believe he can, but I'm an old Scarlet Knight so I am biased.

So we need a clean pocket for some Tannehill consistency?

So what you're saying is that if he didn't get a lot on his first 4 years then we need to make up for it by over paying for him? Then let me ask you this, will Parker, James and Harris give back some of what they made on their early years because they didn't played like first round picks?
Sorry but that makes no sense to me. You pay them what they're worth now and you need a pay structure. Once you start making exceptions you'll end up with a team full of them.

Ozzy rules!!

I am not saying that at all. And if anybody is worthy of an exception, it is Jarvis Landry. Who else is worth that exception? Name me another Dolphin who has given you more under a rookie contract in the last 15 years?

No this isn't protocol going forward but in a world where a FA market may dictate 14 million even though maybe 12 is the answer . . . Jarvis Landry is absolutely the exception into giving in a little to getting a deal done. He has more than earned it.

That being said, I get where people just don't want to give a non Julio Jones type that money and refuse to hear anything else so it may fall on deaf ears . . . but lets not be ridiculous here and compare Jarvis to other potential "exceptions" on this roster . . . there are none.

If Landry hits the market as an unrestricted free agent, he’s going to sign with New England. And Brady will legitimately be able to play until 44-45 with Juice as his primary target. And it’s not gonna pretty for Miami per usual lmao.

Great post.

For me it is not complicated. I have a life long hatred of short passes. I have laughed at screen passes and specifically third down screen passes for 30 years.

I don't like to make exceptions. When you make exceptions you are fooling and betraying yourself. This board and Dolphins fans in general understand that a feature wide out with low yards per reception is not ideal, and that a penalty-craving jerk is not ideal. But we want to make an exception for Jarvis Landry. That's the same type of thinking that lends itself to low percentage adjustments at other positions and in personnel acquisition period.

As I posted the other day, the argument is reversed:

* What would we do without him?

Nope

* Imagine what we could do without him

Someone here posted that Tannehill's YPA plummeted a full half yard in 2016 due to screen passes alone. I don't have to guess who was on the other end of a large percentage of those screen passes. In 2018 we figure to have an uptick season, based on the natural bounce after you drop from 10 wins to 6. Once the arrow is in your favor it's possible to dramatically exceed the expectation, not to merely nudge beyond it. You have to take full advantage of those seasons. To allow Tannehill a chance at a true breakout season and to establish himself as a Top 10 quarterback at long last, we need to be throwing aggressively downfield and to actually score enough points to place ourselves in great position toward a high playoff seeding, not barely squeaking in as the 6th seed.

Take a risk for a change. It actually feels good. There is nothing risky about dump off passes to jittery little Jarvis Landry barely on either side of the line of scrimmage. If you give Tannehill that bail out he'll take it. Don't give him the chance to take it. Again, it's like that look into the future and protecting the future, another version of, "Edith Keeler must die." Those short crossing routes on 3rd and 10 must die.

Besides, a guy with a skill set like that does not improve over the years. He won't get any faster or become more of a downfield threat. His style logically lends itself to the reverse, to getting dinged up and breaking fewer and fewer tackles. There were already indications of that this season. He never showed the ferocity similar to that catch and run against the Cardinals in 2016. Landry seemed to sense he was less of a threat so he resorted to more antics, more emphasis on catch numbers, and pathetic touchdown celebrations.
I agreed with this also. I think if you finally lock down the god damn TE position, letting Landry go wouldn't hurt and probably help even more. I keep thinking of Phillip Rivers living off of Gates and co at TE all these years. Amazing how over 3 or 4 regimes we can't fix the OL and get a friggin TE worth a s**t.

So we need a clean pocket for some Tannehill consistency?
No, I'm saying that it would be nice to have a consistently clean pocket. Tannehill has shown ability to maneuver and create time, but he should not have to do it more than half the time.

Yeah I'm not sure I buy the you were cheap for us so we're going to give you more... But thats fine! You view Landry as a top 10 WR, and I disagree... He's a great slot receiver, but he is limited. I don't think he should be counting more than 12M against the cap. Ideally he'd be around 10 but with the WR FA market the way it is this year, it's not realistic.

I mean I view Landry as a vital piece to the Gase offense and to Ryan Tannehill . . . not the rest of the league. Statistically he is a top 10 WR so if you are taking stats and then taking importance to the offense . . . I think he has more than proven his worth, especially to this team.

People keep saying he is limited . . . so are we saying in a game where 85% of the offensive plays happen inside of a 10 yard box, we shouldn't reward the guy who works that box as good as anybody in the NFL? We should reward the guy who is a factor on those other 15% plays and that player automatically qualifies as a top 10 WR because of that skillset while the other guys does not?

I just don't feel that way. I get the consensus will go against me but the undervaluing of Jarvis Landry is borderline criminal around here. Like I said earlier on a team full of supposed talent at the skill positions . . . he was the consistent threat in the redzone that made the play to put points on the board.

To think he is some replaceable piece is just shortsighted but I get that the team has other needs and smart decisions need to be made. He is priority 1 on my list.

No, I'm saying that it would be nice to have a consistently clean pocket. Tannehill has shown ability to maneuver and create time, but he should not have to do it more than half the time.

I'm not a RT fan. But I have been begging for oline and TE help...since I've been here.

But it's mainly because to this day, Ryan Tannehill consistency is being inconsistent. And it's not just a HC problem or a oline personnel problem. Ryan, in my eyes, owns part of it himself.

I mean I view Landry as a vital piece to the Gase offense and to Ryan Tannehill . . . not the rest of the league. Statistically he is a top 10 WR so if you are taking stats and then taking importance to the offense . . . I think he has more than proven his worth, especially to this team.

People keep saying he is limited . . . so are we saying in a game where 85% of the offensive plays happen inside of a 10 yard box, we shouldn't reward the guy who works that box as good as anybody in the NFL? We should reward the guy who is a factor on those other 15% plays and that player automatically qualifies as a top 10 WR because of that skillset while the other guys does not?

I just don't feel that way. I get the consensus will go against me but the undervaluing of Jarvis Landry is borderline criminal around here. Like I said earlier on a team full of supposed talent at the skill positions . . . he was the consistent threat in the redzone that made the play to put points on the board.

To think he is some replaceable piece is just shortsighted but I get that the team has other needs and smart decisions need to be made. He is priority 1 on my list.

His antics post play has worn thin.

I understand what you are saying. It's just if you want to win in the NFL, your offense needs some balance. A slot wr not in NE isn't a recipe for long term success. I just think if you want someone running TE routes, you get a TE. If you want a Running back catching passes, get a RB to do it. Running your offense through a Slot, especially a sensitive bugger like Landry, drastically reduces the value of everyone else around him.

Landry isn't in the job of complimenting other positions. He's in the job to take those jobs away. If you think he would be happy with 4-5 targets a game, that is criminal. He's a high volume target seeker. And with it comes a mediocre offense.

NE isn't going to pay Gronk 14 million a year, I doubt they'd even look Landry's way...Stop the NE fear, they've only taken one player from Miami and made him a star and that was Welker who I'd take over Landry..

Back
Top Bottom