So we traded Brandon Marshall for the 60th best rated player in the draft?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphans1, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dolphans1

dolphans1 Banned Hammered

Not counting next year, but this year, does Marshall's trade command the Bears 60th-80th overall pick in the 3rd round?

I'm not sure where the Bears fall overall in the 3rd, but who would you take with that pick, and what are his chances of contributing to the Dolphins this season?

d-1

2. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

None. We get 1 quality pick a draft and always seem to fail 2nd & 3rd round :-/

3. CallMeDaddy

CallMeDaddy CMD Finheaven VIP

We traded him to:

1.Clear Cap Space

2.Avoid a suspended player stuck on the team without getting anything out of him.

4. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

We get the 3rd round pick plus the savings in cap money that signed Solai. So Solai and 3rd round pick this year and next year is better then Marshall.

5. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

What exactly are you asking? 60th to 80th? wtf?

6. Mr_Freezetag

Mr_Freezetag Knowledge Hunter

I'm sorry but even if Marshall is suspended 6 games that's no reason to give him away for peanuts.

They couldn't even muster a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year?

7. HybridPHIN 23

HybridPHIN 23 the N E W Dolphilbins

We traded him for two picks......... you then use the picks to your liking. A pick doesnt always equal a player. It's just a chip of certain value, right ?

Sure, what you do with the picks, and how well it pays off is all that matters..... this trade consists of getting picks for a player. Using the picks is a seperate transaction.

Theres a lot of ways to twist it. For example..... we traded two 2nds for Marshall, got two 1,000 yard seasons out of him, and than sold him for two 3rd rounders just before the transmission crapped out. Talk about a steal there. Also consider how the value of picks has gone up since then, with the new CBA. I could keep going.

ladeback likes this.
  8. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

1. We could potentially find a starter quality WR with that 3rd round pick.

2. Good chance Marshall sits out part of 2012 as well.

3. Philbin/New QB get to avoid the troubles of a diva WR.

4. Saved $5 million towards the cap this year and $10 million the next two and were able to resign Soliai.

Just a few reason why Marshall was traded.

9. CallMeDaddy

Didn't say I agreed with it, just said the reasons why Miami made the trade.

10. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

But...that's where all of our "Next Marino" QBs have come from. How is this possible?

:lol:

11. JCane

He's not worth that.

We're lucky to have anyone who was willing to deal for him. Cutler probably rammed this deal thru.

People think that draft picks are useless and other teams just hand draft picks away. Draft picks are incredibly valuable. Much more valuable than some head case receiver. They're not that valuable to us because we don't know what we're doing in the draft anyway. We play it safe in the first round and then go diarrhea in our pants the rest of the way asking, "What's that smell?" But if you're smart and know how to evaluate college talent, you can actually build a Super Bowl contending team in the draft.

It's true. I've actually seen it done a few times before.

12. Mr_Freezetag

Mr_Freezetag Knowledge Hunter

I wasn't meaning to sound like I was pointing the finger. Didn't mean to sound that way.

I understand the reasonings for trading him and the cap space is huge, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that we couldn't muster up anything more, even if it was only a bit more then we got. I know the team getting Beast Beach had to eat that big contract but C'MON IRELAND!

13. JCane

I think it's gonna turn out to be a brilliant move on Ireland's part. If Marshall has to sit out a significant portion of the season, then he's another year older and he hasn't played in a full season. He'd have to adjust to the speed of the game once again. It won't take him half a season to do so but they'll be a few games early where he struggles.

14. phin_vice80

phin_vice80 Member

Brandon Marshall was apparently the 119th best rated player in his draft.

15. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

if you use the point system and depending on where the Bears end up picking next year, the value is equal a mid-second round pick. not to mention the $6 million in cap space allowing them to resign Soliai and the general headache relief

16. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

If Oregon's LaMichael James were to drop to the third round, and be there with the pick we got for Marshall, that's who I would go after. We don't have much speed on offense, and L. James would give us a guy who can take it to the end zone on a run or pass. He's not that tallest/biggest guy around but he can be used in many different ways, running/catching passes/returning punts/kicks. The Patriots always find ways to use little guys like Welker/Edelman/Woodhead.....we need a guy like this.

17. CallMeDaddy

I didn't think of it that way, no worries.

I'm hoping we just don't blow our picks we got for him, I have a feeling we'll draft a receiver to try to draft him and he just won't pan out.

18. circumstances

circumstances Starter

well, considering jeff ireland has been in charge of the draft for exactly one draft (2011), and we had no 2nd round pick (the marshall trade), he traded back into the 2nd from the 3rd and drafted daniel thomas. don't put any failed 2nd or 3rd rounders for this franchise from prior to 2011 on him.

19. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

for crying out loud. the stupidity is just beyond imagination.