Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...

It's an offensive statistic.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/#all_team_stats

Which also includes the scheme and playcalling of the OC.

Yards per pass attempt for a quarterback is no different from yards per carry for a running back.

The better QBs generally have higher yards per pass attempt, just like the better running backs generally have higher yards per carry.

Is football a team game that is impacted by all facets of the game? Yes.

Are there statistics that can generally be attributable to individual players nonetheless? Yes.

Yards per pass attempt for a quarterback is no different from yards per carry for a running back.

The better QBs generally have higher yards per pass attempt, just like the better running backs generally have higher yards per carry.

Is football a team game that is impacted by all facets of the game? Yes.

Are there statistics that can generally be attributable to individual players nonetheless? Yes.

You really need to stop with your QBwinz tunnel vision. It's nauseating and way off base.

Two words: Jared Goff

Two more words: Sean McVay

Offensive scheme greatly effects YPA.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we were lucky pulling out the "W". Yes, lucky that the guy missed a game winning FG, but it wasn't a chip shot either. Here's the thing - both teams played mistake free ball for the most part. However, SD, err LA, was 1-dimensional. Rivers chewed us up, but they couldn't run the ball at all (44 yards on the day). We had proper balance with a ground game that had Ajai go for 122 and a decent (yes, needs to be more in most games) amount of yards via the air. Growing up watching football, games like this were almost always won by the team that had balance on offense. I know the game has changed and I've seen the Pats win games where they throw for 400 and rush for like 10. But still, I wouldn't call this luck. I really do think we were better than they were today - by a little bit - and the game played out the way it "was supposed to" when you look at the box score.

Agreed, Gase has proven to be at minimum a capable coach, and as a bonus he also seems to flat out have good luck going back to last year. And i'll take it. Philbin couldn't catch a break if you threw him one, and he actually looked like a guy with perennial bad luck even.

You really need to stop with your QBwinz tunnel vision. It's nauseating and way off base.

Or does the quarterback's ability with regard to YPA affect the offensive scheme that's chosen, and/or the way in which it's implemented?

You're supporting your point with a player who's played a mere nine NFL games, and a head coach who's coached a mere two.

Or does the quarterback's ability with regard to YPA affect the offensive scheme that's chosen, and/or the way in which it's implemented?

You're supporting your point with a player who's played a mere nine NFL games, and a head coach who's coached a mere two.

How's Kirk Cousins all of sudden look now after three years prior with McVay as OC?

There were six passes of over 20 yards in the air in the second half.

Glad someone gave Gase some smelling salts at half time. That, or he removed the tampon and grew a pair. Either way, he play calling was abysmal in the first half. Much more what we expect in the second.

The defense played decent the first series. After that, they were god-aweful.

Good point because Goff was literally the worst quarterback in football last year.

How's Kirk Cousins all of sudden look now after three years prior with McVay as OC?

In Cousin's defense, Washington lost a bit of weapons over the offseason, and the guys they have aren't performing (Pryor). It doesn't help that Jay Gruden likes to do with running backs what Jon did with quarterbacks.

I have to correct myself....in some of the other threads I complained about the play calling today....but now that I think back...before the game, I clearly posted 2 or 3 times that all we needed to do to win this game was run Jay 25+ times, and play good defense.

Well, the defense wasn't that great but we held them to 17 points.....and yes, Jay did get 25+ carries....

As a fan though, you just want to see DVP, Stills, Jakeem, and Landry lighting up the scoreboard.

Game 1.

Give it time. This isn't Madden and we're not pulling out all the stops this early.

The team played a good road game. Control the ball and pound the rock. It will get better.

Even in Madden/NCAA I have some week one jitters on offense.

Good point because Goff was literally the worst quarterback in football last year.

And we're ready to anoint him something significantly different this year, after two games?

And if so, that's attributable to his head coach, and not to the expected improvement in quarterback play from one's rookie season to year two?

We adjusted for the second half and trusted our o line a bit more with protections and timing.

We pulled it out, barely....but that defense and lack of pass rush is going to get exposed week in week out. Our corners can't cover for 3-4 seconds every play.

Back
Top Bottom