Spielman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman

glh205

Starter
Reaction score
I have seen on here that many people think that even if Wanny is fired at the end of the season that Spielman should stay. I ask you why? Going into this offseason, Miami had 3 main weaknesses: QB, OL, WR

Here is alwhat Spielman has done and has not done:

1. QB - seems to have overpaid for Feeley, who according to most reports has not looked considerably better than Fiedler and who seems to not be the starter.

2. Did not significantly improve the OL in the offseason. We all know that Jeno James will be huge, but can we all really say that we know the OL will eb better than last yr. Already it seems that RG will be the loser of the RT job. Our RT is going to be a st louis castoff who has not shown consistency at the pro level. Our C is the same one who could not beat out Ruddy last yr.

3. Complacency after Boston trade. Yes, Boston was a steal (before the injury), but even after that trade we had no depth at WR. Seeing how Boston has been injured 2 or the last 3 yrs, shouldn't a strong #3 wr been on the shopping list?

What he has Accomplished:(No order)
1. Seems to have gotten good talent in the draft
2. signed Chambers to an extension
3. traded relatively nothing for Boston
4. Jeno James
5. MAdison restructure

now, these are good things, but considering that not only are all of the weaknesses from last yr still here, the fins have even more holes to fill because of the RB situation.

Most teams are thin especially at wr after the first team. I thought that they should have drafted a wr instead of o-line. Now, we have D. Thompson who is horrible as the starting wr opposite of Chambers. I think Newson will be a solid contributor this year.

The best thing that Spielman can do is get Wale in and signed as soon as possible. We are going to need all the defense we can get.

Gee. Now we're assessing the GM's first season of work before even a preseason game and hold him to a standard that requires precognitive abilities.

glh205 said:
I have seen on here that many people think that even if Wanny is fired at the end of the season that Spielman should stay. I ask you why? Going into this offseason, Miami had 3 main weaknesses: QB, OL, WR

1. QB - seems to have overpaid for Feeley, who according to most reports has not looked considerably better than Fiedler and who seems to not be the starter.

2. Did not significantly improve the OL in the offseason. We all know that Jeno James will be huge, but can we all really say that we know the OL will eb better than last yr. Already it seems that RG will be the loser of the RT job. Our RT is going to be a st louis castoff who has not shown consistency at the pro level. Our C is the same one who could not beat out Ruddy last yr.

3. Complacency after Boston trade. Yes, Boston was a steal (before the injury), but even after that trade we had no depth at WR. Seeing how Boston has been injured 2 or the last 3 yrs, shouldn't a strong #3 wr been on the shopping list?

4. Jeno James
5. MAdison restructure

now, these are good things, but considering that not only are all of the weaknesses from last yr still here, the fins have even more holes to fill because of the RB situation.

Who are you, Nostradamus? You assume failure before we even play one preseason game. Maybe you have ESP? If so, pass on to me the winning lottery numbers for Florida. Thanks.

its funny, about week ago when we signed CC to a five year extension. you didnt see any posts like this.

I am not assuming failure.

I did not say Feeley is a bad QB- just stated we overpaid for him. A 2nd rder is a lot to give up for someone who you are not positive is betetr than your current starter.

As for the OL, all I said was that looking at the line now, and in TC, it is still an area of weakness on this team. Can it get better, sure - but it was a weakness last yr and it is a weakness today.

As for the 3rd WRS - look at the current options to start opposite Chambers - Thompson, Newsome, Tolver, etc. None of these are accomplished WR's. Yes, Boston was a huge move, BUT - WHAT I SAID WAS THAT HE HAS AN BIG INJURY HISTORY - so why did we not attempt to get another experienced WR in here.

I am not saying the seaosn is over. All I am questioning is why are so many people ready to say how great of an offseason the GM had wneh every weakness from last yr still has question marks.

glh205 said:

What reports are you reading? Based on everything I've heard, Feeley is starting to pull away from Fiedler, and everyone is impressed with his ability to throw the ball down the field.

Our center is a player who everyone wanted to start last year, except for Dave. Jeno James is a big improvement, as is Vernon Carey. I really wonder what the hell some of you are looking for here. The biggest problems with the OL last year were Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, and Jamie Nails. All have been replaced. Oh, I forgot. They weren't replaced by big names, therefore things haven't improved. I get it. We would rather have Damien Woody, who is a career underachiever and is currently plodding along 20lbs overweight for Detroit right now. Detroit has stated that they are very disappointed in Woody at this time. Why do you think New England didn't put up a fight to keep him?

That no depth is based on what? The lack of a big name once again. Oh. Damn! I keep forgetting that young players with talent can't develop. Everyone knows that every skill position player that is anyone started off as a star. It's really amazing. Some of you would have banished players like Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, and Keenan McCardell because they were either cut by their first team or had to work their way up from the practice squad.

4. Jeno James
5. MAdison restructure

He's accomplished far more than that. He is showing a foresight that many of you lack by not tossing away young players with potential because fickle fans have a comfort level with having a name player over a no name player.

Spielman tried for Tait and Woody, but lost out. My problem with Rick is he zeros in on a guy or two and when he doesn't get them, he gives up and refuses to get anyone else. Like with Wayne Gandy last year. Dave and Rick didn't get him, so they said, screw it, no other LT's are worth anything. We will just go with the crap we have!

Same this year, Miami needed more than 1 FA offensive linemen. Nope, after James he gave up and just went status quo adding one guy through the draft!

Wide Receivers is the same. Miami's problems at WR last year was no #2 or #3, or #4 WR. So, we add Boston and then wash our hands of all WR. Like one guy will fix all of our problems.

But, Rick did find time to add 2 CB's and 2 Saftey's this offseason. That was real important!.....NOT!

KBISBACK said:
What reports are you reading? Based on everything I've heard, Feeley is starting to pull away from Fiedler, and everyone is impressed with his ability to throw the ball down the field.

Our center is a player who everyone wanted to start last year, except for Dave. Jeno James is a big improvement, as is Vernon Carey. I really wonder what the hell some of you are looking for here. The biggest problems with the OL last year were Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, and Jamie Nails. All have been replaced. Oh, I forgot. They weren't replaced by big names, therefore things haven't improved. I get it. We would rather have Damien Woody, who is a career underachiever and is currently plodding along 20lbs overweight for Detroit right now. Detroit has stated that they are very disappointed in Woody at this time. Why do you think New England didn't put up a fight to keep him?

That no depth is based on what? The lack of a big name once again. Oh. Damn! I keep forgetting that young players with talent can't develop. Everyone knows that every skill position player that is anyone started off as a star. It's really amazing. Some of you would have banished players like Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, and Keenan McCardell because they were either cut by their first team or had to work their way up from the practice squad.

He's accomplished far more than that. He is showing a foresight that many of you lack by not tossing away young players with potential because fickle fans have a comfort level with having a name player over a no name player.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well, maybe a little better.

:tongue:

SirDrums said:
its funny, about week ago when we signed CC to a five year extension. you didnt see any posts like this.
I have been beating this drum for a while! Problem is everyone HATES Wannstedt so much they ignore the other fools in this organization like Spielman and Jones.

MikeO, What free agent lineman are better than what we have right now??? Jeno James was a bargain compared to what Woody signed for and it looks like James is going to be a better player right now. Carey has a solid future and is certainly better than scrub lineman that are still left. I dont know any other lineman that would be able to improve this unit that are available right now.
No one was complaining about Newson and Thompson as the number 3 and 4 recievers when Boston was healthy. Now one of them needs to step up. It happens every year, someone gets hurt and a young player has a great season. How come it can't be Thompson or Newson?? And Howard and Poole were great pickups. We have great depth at CB in case of injury.

Your first sentence gave you away. A bargain! Everything is about money. Yes, you have a cap. But you also don't have a RG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is more important. Winning games by having a good RG or being under the cap? They don't pass out a trophy for being under the salary cap!

YES, I would have complained about Newson and Thompson as #3 WR's! They STINK! And Howard and Poole are good pickups, but Miami needed OFFENSE not anymore DEFENSE! We held teams to 16pts per game and STILL couldn't make the playoffs. What, are we going to just try and shut people out every week? Won't Work.

And what other o-linemen out there. How about Kendall just last week. Could have been our starting RG. Nope, we get cheap and only offer a 1 year deal when all the guy wanted was a 2 year deal. Case in point.........we aren't trying to win. Just trying to save money and not overspend!

Agreed that you can't call the OL a "weakness" heading into this season. Way too premature for this type of labeling.

Spielman took an aging, broken down OL and transformed it into one of the youngest in the league with a lot of potential. It'll experience growing pains, but could very well develop into a solid OL that'll be together for many years.

There will be moments of confusion, blown assignments, etc., early on, but this unit should be alright, imo. Especially the left side. Right side is a work in progress.

:roflmao:

Are you seriously this bored? How about you start a new job as a bus driver adn when you sit down in theseat, you put the seat belt on after starting the engine. Well, you obvously have no driving skills because you didn't put the belt on first, right? How can you judge Rick S. and his performance before any of his decisions have played a single snap? YOU CAN'T! So stop doing it!

work in progress is euphamism for not that good.

i agree with MikeO's assesment that when it comes to top talent in FA this team cheaps out.

RG is a major hole right now. Yes we could have gotten Kendall - or the guy that Philadelphia traded during the draft for a 4th rounder (forgot his name).

I agree that getting younger on the OL is a good thing, but right now we have 3/5 of the Ol who has not started more than 10 games in the NFL.

As for QB again - My only point was that if you are giving up a straight #2 pick, you better be sure that this guy is better than what you currently have.

WR - people after the draft (and during) were posting left and right that we needed a wr. Newsom has has a few training camps and obv did not show enough that Mia never plays him - samd for Tolver before he was hurt.

Mioa was under the cap even before Ricky left. I not care about what we spend on a gyu if it is the right person. This team has a window in the next few yrs as most of the D is getting older. Now is the time to pay for the 1 or 2 players that make the difference

Back
Top Bottom