Spielman | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman

Gees Let us play a few games first

First off, Our o-line was improved from a subtraction by addition approach. We could use a back LT, however LT don't exactly grow on trees and at the time, the o-line market was ridiculous, so why pay top rate money for a backup LT. I think it's clear that RS is monitoring the young ol talent to see what needs to be added, however, Keep in Mind that Machintosh will probably act as a swing tackle once he's healthy and Dan Godspeed must be doing something right, since they havent gone after any journeymen LT.

It terms of our wr's, the free agent market was very thin this year, ask Baltimore, and our cap flexibility was thinner, we needed an olineman from the draft more than anything so unless Vernon Carrey tanks, that was a very solid move, and in the 4th round we went for value and picked up, probably the steal of the draft in Will Poole, which 2 years from now may seem like genius when we're forced to release Madison for cap reasons.

Our wr corps is suspect, but DT problems has been more mental and focus and Kendall Newson who was arguably tired from NFLE and over anxious has by all accounts raised the bar this offseason and we also picked up Minnis who was highly touted but injury prone as another veteran wr, so until they completely fail, then we can't be ready to glorify or chastize RS.

Our biggest offseason aquissitons has been our coaches. Our WR rave about Sullivan and being a Mets fan I've seen how Rick Peterson made that pitching staff one of the best in the Major Leagues in the first half of the year, so I wouldn't be suprised to see KN or DT break out this year, as with Marc Trestman and the Qb's.

glh205 said:
I have seen on here that many people think that even if Wanny is fired at the end of the season that Spielman should stay. I ask you why? Going into this offseason, Miami had 3 main weaknesses: QB, OL, WR

Here is alwhat Spielman has done and has not done:

1. QB - seems to have overpaid for Feeley, who according to most reports has not looked considerably better than Fiedler and who seems to not be the starter.

2. Did not significantly improve the OL in the offseason. We all know that Jeno James will be huge, but can we all really say that we know the OL will eb better than last yr. Already it seems that RG will be the loser of the RT job. Our RT is going to be a st louis castoff who has not shown consistency at the pro level. Our C is the same one who could not beat out Ruddy last yr.

3. Complacency after Boston trade. Yes, Boston was a steal (before the injury), but even after that trade we had no depth at WR. Seeing how Boston has been injured 2 or the last 3 yrs, shouldn't a strong #3 wr been on the shopping list?

What he has Accomplished:(No order)
1. Seems to have gotten good talent in the draft
2. signed Chambers to an extension
3. traded relatively nothing for Boston
4. Jeno James
5. MAdison restructure

now, these are good things, but considering that not only are all of the weaknesses from last yr still here, the fins have even more holes to fill because of the RB situation.

It's like Spielman said, the second round pick for A.J. is next years pick. So if Feeley contributes this year it is a plus. Even if he started contributing next year, that's great, because not all second round picks see extensive playing time in their first season. Look at Hassleback, it took him more than a year to really improve the starters role after being traded.

I happen to think he did improve the O-line. First thing he did to improve it was by cutting Ruddy, and Perry. Now he has some very young, and some very good talent to work with. No matter what, even if he brought in 5 other pro bowlers, the line would take a little time to gel together. But this being a young line, it could be a strength in years to come.

As for the Wr spot. I would have like to have drafted one, but Lineman was top priority. So by adding Boston, the corps looked solid. Chambers, Boston, Minnis, Thompson, and add one more here. That's a pretty good looking unit. Injuries stink, and it's hard to keep 2 number two type Wr's on a roster so while this may be his weak link this year, and it is biting him in the keester, I happen to think he's done pretty darn good for his first year in charge.

u got to be kidding right? this thread sucks. get real. the dude just got the job and has done very well with the cap and keeping talent on this team overall. injuries and people quitting are not his fault! Its not george W bushs' fault either! so quit trying so hard to look stupid. :shakeno:

phinman1 said:
Who are you, Nostradamus? You assume failure before we even play one preseason game. Maybe you have ESP? If so, pass on to me the winning lottery numbers for Florida. Thanks.

Not ESP...ESPN :shakeno:

glh205 said:
I am not assuming failure.

I did not say Feeley is a bad QB- just stated we overpaid for him. A 2nd rder is a lot to give up for someone who you are not positive is betetr than your current starter.

As for the OL, all I said was that looking at the line now, and in TC, it is still an area of weakness on this team. Can it get better, sure - but it was a weakness last yr and it is a weakness today.

As for the 3rd WRS - look at the current options to start opposite Chambers - Thompson, Newsome, Tolver, etc. None of these are accomplished WR's. Yes, Boston was a huge move, BUT - WHAT I SAID WAS THAT HE HAS AN BIG INJURY HISTORY - so why did we not attempt to get another experienced WR in here.

I am not saying the seaosn is over. All I am questioning is why are so many people ready to say how great of an offseason the GM had wneh every weakness from last yr still has question marks.

Horse BALLS! Who says a 2nd stringer isnt better than a starter? Look at the last few sleeper qb's slick. Brady, Delhomme, Bulger, and the guy down with the steelers for example. Asses his performance mid season before you call him crap.

Never called Feeley crap, just said that a #2 was too much to give for him.

terrell Owens went for a #2...

My biggest gripe about what Rick has done thus far is the lack of another addition at WR.

This year's draft was insanely deep at WR, yet it was still ignored. Boston was well worth the gamble, but he did come with an abnormal build and injury concerns, so the position should have been addressed.

MikeO said:
Spielman tried for Tait and Woody, but lost out. My problem with Rick is he zeros in on a guy or two and when he doesn't get them, he gives up and refuses to get anyone else. Like with Wayne Gandy last year. Dave and Rick didn't get him, so they said, screw it, no other LT's are worth anything. We will just go with the crap we have!

Same this year, Miami needed more than 1 FA offensive linemen. Nope, after James he gave up and just went status quo adding one guy through the draft!

Wide Receivers is the same. Miami's problems at WR last year was no #2 or #3, or #4 WR. So, we add Boston and then wash our hands of all WR. Like one guy will fix all of our problems.

But, Rick did find time to add 2 CB's and 2 Saftey's this offseason. That was real important!.....NOT!

But what other Tackle was out there last year. I know of one for sure, and he is now out for the year, in Turley. But he is more suited to play the right side.

I don't blame him one bit for dropping the bid on Woody.

You lost me on the Wr part, because last year what they lacked was a number two Wr. They had two very good number threes. And this year they went out and got a number two, a very solid two, that could be a one on many teams. Keeping Thompson off the two would have helped him, and the team big time this year.

I like what I see so far from Spielman, and I'm not talking last year when it was not his team to run.

you may end up right, but not just yet.....

boy can the PS start, you guys need a distraction, like a game to see if anything said here has merit.

So you'd rather pay an extra 10M for Woody over James??? Woody is overweight, injury prone, and caused problems in the locker room. James looks like a way better signing at this point. That was a great signing by Rick. Jerman or Carey are going to be a whole lot better than Perry was last year too. Our line is going to be better than last year. And saying Miami is cheap with free agents? We've signed Zach, Madison, Surtain, Taylor, and Chambers to big contracts to keep them. Why spend tons of money on iffy players like Woody??? RS has done a good job this offseason of improving the team.

KBISBACK said:
What reports are you reading? Based on everything I've heard, Feeley is starting to pull away from Fiedler, and everyone is impressed with his ability to throw the ball down the field.

Our center is a player who everyone wanted to start last year, except for Dave. Jeno James is a big improvement, as is Vernon Carey. I really wonder what the hell some of you are looking for here. The biggest problems with the OL last year were Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, and Jamie Nails. All have been replaced. Oh, I forgot. They weren't replaced by big names, therefore things haven't improved. I get it. We would rather have Damien Woody, who is a career underachiever and is currently plodding along 20lbs overweight for Detroit right now. Detroit has stated that they are very disappointed in Woody at this time. Why do you think New England didn't put up a fight to keep him?

That no depth is based on what? The lack of a big name once again. Oh. Damn! I keep forgetting that young players with talent can't develop. Everyone knows that every skill position player that is anyone started off as a star. It's really amazing. Some of you would have banished players like Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, and Keenan McCardell because they were either cut by their first team or had to work their way up from the practice squad.

He's accomplished far more than that. He is showing a foresight that many of you lack by not tossing away young players with potential because fickle fans have a comfort level with having a name player over a no name player.

:clap: :up: :clap: :bandwagon:

Back
Top Bottom