Sports Buzz: Dolphins Focusing on WRs in Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Buzz: Dolphins Focusing on WRs in Draft

The Dolphins wide receivers are probably average as a group, decent for sure. But in a passing league decent isn't going to get you very far. I know the team has other glaring needs, but there are so many good wide receivers in this draft that it makes sense to get one. I love Cooks at #19 or Matthews at #50.

I cannot see us using the #19 overall pick on a WR. Look at all of the hype over Tavon Austin last year...I know I got hooked in with his speed as well, BUT there are a lot of very good WR's who will be there from Round 2 onward, if we go down that road. I think we need a TE before possibly adding another WR.

Austin showed flashes and let's not forget that he was a rookie receiver. I think that he'll make a quantum leap in the next two years. Cooks is thick, fluid, extremely fast and quick with soft hands. He has everything except height and imo he'll be a terror in the slot for some team.

Lee seems like a good scheme fit, and exactly the type of wr philbin covets.

With three wrs with knee injuries, it's not surprising were looking hard at WR.

And I also think hartline is a joke of a #2 WR. I don't know why he gets such a pass around here, but he makes no plays and is way to reliant on double and triple moves to create separation. I wonder how many times tannehill got sacked waiting for him to get open.

You know that Hartline had back to back 1000 yard seasons and was more productive than Wallace?
He has a pretty good game between the 10 yard lines. He is a good player with legit very good long speed for us as a number 2.
If anything those WR's they are bringing in are to replace Wallace and unload his contract.

We reported in recent days that the Dolphins have summoned Clemson receiver Martavis Bryant and Mississippi receiver Donte Moncrief to team headquarters to meet with coaches and front-office officials. (Both are likely second- or third-round picks.)

And a source confirmed tonight that USC receiver Marqise Lee will visit Dolphins headquarters on Tuesday, as first reported this evening by ESPN’s James Walker. That means at least three of the Dolphins’ 30 permitted visits will involve receivers, a position that might be their deepest on the team.

If Notre Dame tackle Zack Martin is available at No. 19, it would be surprising if the Dolphins opted for Lee instead. But if Martin is off the board at No. 19, everything is in play. And the Dolphins are showing more interest in receivers than most expected.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ter-goldens-monday-musings.html#storylink=cpy

I like them thinking about WR, but Idk about marqise lee. He;s a quick, fast play maker, but he's on the smaller side I think and fins already have a fast WR with Wallace. I think fins need a big WR now to help them in redzone and get pts which was the fins downfall and I think what caused fins to miss out on making the playoffs. So if they get a WR I want them to get a guy like Kelvin Benjamin but if he's taken, then Mike Evans.

Smokescreen for 1st round. Philbin will never pick WR in 1st round. They never did at Green Bay. Maybe WR in 2nd round or later.

Austin showed flashes and let's not forget that he was a rookie receiver. I think that he'll make a quantum leap in the next two years. Cooks is thick, fluid, extremely fast and quick with soft hands. He has everything except height and imo he'll be a terror in the slot for some team.

I have been reviewing a lot of film of Brandin Cooks, and one thing I notice right off is his ability to catch the ball in coverage, even when he has a couple guys on him. He has amazing hands and just seems to find ways to always make the catch.

[video=youtube;XfnYcEOHqCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnYcEOHqCk[/video]

Would like to see us taking an interest in Allen Robinson also.

I have been reviewing a lot of film of Brandin Cooks, and one thing I notice right off is his ability to catch the ball in coverage, even when he has a couple guys on him. He has amazing hands and just seems to find ways to always make the catch.

Brandin Cooks shows good ability to finish in physical situations. That's one attraction.

But ultimately with both he and Odell Beckam I get the feeling that they have a tough time with physically challenging coverage. I'm not necessarily talking about physical manhandling at the catch point. If both guys are able to position themselves with an advantage because of their speed, if they're able to set up for the ball anticipating contact, they can finish...Cooks probably better than Beckham that way. But when the two are faced with guys who are in their face physically in coverage and in their hip pocket speed-wise...that's where I start to get concerned. They're going to see a lot more of that in the NFL.

The reason I have Allen Robinson above them is because I do not get the sense that physically challenging man coverage phases him. When I see a corner get hands on him, he accelerates right through it without even losing a step. He can create separation against physically demanding coverage and when it comes to finishing, this is a guy that I have seen finish half a dozen catches through blatant pass interference (a lot of it flagged). That's a hell of an accomplishment and it's a big feather in a player's cap as far as his ability to finish plays. It translates.

The downside is the pure speed which isn't quite up to par with Beckham and definitely isn't up to Cooks' standard. But those guys won't be utilizing their speed to their best if they're not handling physically demanding coverage as well.

I have Cooks rated over Beckham and Robinson over both.

Brandin Cooks shows good ability to finish in physical situations. That's one attraction.

But ultimately with both he and Odell Beckam I get the feeling that they have a tough time with physically challenging coverage. I'm not necessarily talking about physical manhandling at the catch point. If both guys are able to position themselves with an advantage because of their speed, if they're able to set up for the ball anticipating contact, they can finish...Cooks probably better than Beckham that way. But when the two are faced with guys who are in their face physically in coverage and in their hip pocket speed-wise...that's where I start to get concerned. They're going to see a lot more of that in the NFL.

The reason I have Allen Robinson above them is because I do not get the sense that physically challenging man coverage phases him. When I see a corner get hands on him, he accelerates right through it without even losing a step. He can create separation against physically demanding coverage and when it comes to finishing, this is a guy that I have seen finish half a dozen catches through blatant pass interference (a lot of it flagged). That's a hell of an accomplishment and it's a big feather in a player's cap as far as his ability to finish plays. It translates.

The downside is the pure speed which isn't quite up to par with Beckham and definitely isn't up to Cooks' standard. But those guys won't be utilizing their speed to their best if they're not handling physically demanding coverage as well.

I have Cooks rated over Beckham and Robinson over both.

Thanks CK....Robinson definitely has the size/length over Cooks and Beckham, and often if you have similar skill sets among 2-3 guys, you take the bigger player. Robinson will probably go late first round or early first, so I think if we passed on Cooks, Beckham and Robinson in Round 1, then probably won't be there in round two. Another guy who has similar size and body type to Robinson is Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews. Matthews just needs to bulk up.

[video=youtube;LfoPwGsNhco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco[/video]

Robinson is the forgotten man of this draft by the pundits. As far as I'm concerned, he's in play at 19 with Beckham, though he's likely to be available in the late 20s. I would rank Cooks below them both.

Back
Top Bottom