Sports Weekly rates top CB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Weekly rates top CB's

burger13

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
189 NFL front offices rank the top cornerbacks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's Sports Weekly (which I went out and bought today) actually includes two sets of rankings for cornerbacks and safeties -- one by The Sports Xchange and one based on a poll of NFL teams' front offices. The list that has been posted in other threads is The Sports Xchange's rankings, based on their ratings in "more than 40 categories." The list below is the one that comes from the NFL teams themselves.

Each NFL team's personnel department was asked to name its top 10 cornerbacks in order (10 teams didn't respond to the poll), and the players were ranked based on a 10-9-8-etc.-point basis. Thirty different players got at least one vote from the 22 teams that responded.

1. Champ Bailey, 198 points (12 first-place votes)
2. Chris McAlister, 173 (3)
3. Ty Law, 163 (3)
4. Charles Woodson, 139 (3)
5. Patrick Surtain, 127 (1)
6. Samari Rolle, 75
7. Sam Madison, 57
8. Dre Bly, 47
9. Terence Newman, 39
10T. Ronde Barber, 34
10T. Antoine Winfield, 34
12. Shawn Springs, 20
13T. Troy Vincent, 19
13T. Mike McKenzie, 19
15. Aaron Glenn, 16
16. Fred Smoot, 8
17T. Ahmed Plummer, 7
17T. Marcus Trufant, 7
19. Rashean Mathis, 5
20T. Tyrone Poole, 4
20T. Philip Buchanon, 4
22T. Brian Kelly, 3
22T. Fred Thomas, 3
24T. Marcus Coleman, 2
24T. Bobby Taylor, 2
24T. Dexter McCleon, 2
24T. Charles Tillman, 2
28T. Nate Clements, 1
28T. Quentin Jammer, 1
28T. Will Peterson, 1

I was surprised to still Madison in the top 7 after all of the critism he's bene receiving.

Also, it's amazing the dropoff in votes after the top 5.

burger13 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's Sports Weekly (which I went out and bought today) actually includes two sets of rankings for cornerbacks and safeties -- one by The Sports Xchange and one based on a poll of NFL teams' front offices. The list that has been posted in other threads is The Sports Xchange's rankings, based on their ratings in "more than 40 categories." The list below is the one that comes from the NFL teams themselves.

Each NFL team's personnel department was asked to name its top 10 cornerbacks in order (10 teams didn't respond to the poll), and the players were ranked based on a 10-9-8-etc.-point basis. Thirty different players got at least one vote from the 22 teams that responded.

3. Ty Law, 163 (3)
6. Samari Rolle, 75
7. Sam Madison, 57
8. Dre Bly, 47
9. Terence Newman, 39
10T. Ronde Barber, 34
12. Shawn Springs, 20
13T. Troy Vincent, 19
13T. Mike McKenzie, 19
15. Aaron Glenn, 16
16. Fred Smoot, 8
17T. Ahmed Plummer, 7
17T. Marcus Trufant, 7
19. Rashean Mathis, 5
20T. Tyrone Poole, 4
20T. Philip Buchanon, 4
22T. Brian Kelly, 3
22T. Fred Thomas, 3
24T. Marcus Coleman, 2
24T. Bobby Taylor, 2
24T. Dexter McCleon, 2
24T. Charles Tillman, 2
28T. Nate Clements, 1
28T. Quentin Jammer, 1
28T. Will Peterson, 1

I was surprised to still Madison in the top 7 after all of the critism he's bene receiving.

Cool, good info. However I just cant get past the way everyone overrates Woodson & McAllister. Especially the later. I just dont see it. Especially when our CBs play so much man cover.

What about the S ratings??

Just makes the Redskins look like more of a fool. Trading the best cornerback in the league and a draft pick for Clinton Portis.

dreadlockera said:
Cool, good info. However I just cant get past the way everyone overrates Woodson & McAllister. Especially the later. I just dont see it. Especially when our CBs play so much man cover.

What about the S ratings??

Overrate McAllister? have you watched this guy play? He is special. Plus when healthy Woodson is not someone you want covering your reciever.

It's hard to argue with these opinios......these are the guys that make their living evaluating talent. I would say that this is pretty much the definative list.

It really is amazing that the Dolphins have 2 CB's in the top 7!!!
I can't think of any other team that would have two players in the same position both ranked that high.

Well.........maybe Miami's DE's!!

Other possabilities: Baltimore LB's - Lewis and Boulware; Jax DT's - Henderson and Stroud; Carolina DE's - Rucker and Peppers.

Guys, I was by no means saying those guys are not good. They are great. I just dont see McAlister putting up sick numbers or impressing me. Not like Pat. As for Woodson, he is great but injured too much. That should count for something. I also think Sam is overrated unless he shows some old form this year. IMHO those 3 guys are more name than production.

dreadlockera said:
Guys, I was by no means saying those guys are not good. They are great. I just dont see McAlister putting up sick numbers or impressing me. Not like Pat. As for Woodson, he is great but injured too much. That should count for something. I also think Sam is overrated unless he shows some old form this year. IMHO those 3 guys are more name than production.

That's the greatness of a player, when even on a bad year for him, he's still a step above just about everyone else. Sam didn't have a great year, but he still had a good year, and you didn't see 20 TD's thrown on him. As a testiment, our D had one of the lowest td avg against it. So obviously he was doing something right. don't underestimate him..older and smarter.

dreadlockera said:

Well, IMO, cornerbacks is a position where stats do not show the entire story. In fact the lack of production could be a good thing sometimes.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Well, IMO, cornerbacks is a position where stats do not show the entire story. In fact the lack of production could be a good thing sometimes.
Exactly, you can't judge corners by stats. Guys like Bailey and McAlister don't get many throws on their direction, so naturally, their INTs numbers aren't very high (Surtain is an exception) . Here's a better stat that I remember reading: McAlister always lines up against the opposing team's #1 receiver, and the receivers averaged something like 2.5 catches per game. That's pretty impressive.

burger13 said:

3. Ty Law, 163 (3)
6. Samari Rolle, 75
7. Sam Madison, 57
8. Dre Bly, 47
9. Terence Newman, 39
10T. Ronde Barber, 34
12. Shawn Springs, 20
13T. Troy Vincent, 19
13T. Mike McKenzie, 19
15. Aaron Glenn, 16
16. Fred Smoot, 8
17T. Ahmed Plummer, 7
17T. Marcus Trufant, 7
19. Rashean Mathis, 5
20T. Tyrone Poole, 4
20T. Philip Buchanon, 4
22T. Brian Kelly, 3
22T. Fred Thomas, 3
24T. Marcus Coleman, 2
24T. Bobby Taylor, 2
24T. Dexter McCleon, 2
24T. Charles Tillman, 2
28T. Nate Clements, 1
28T. Quentin Jammer, 1
28T. Will Peterson, 1

This really isn't sour grapes at all, but how in the hell can Winfield be ranked that high. Granted he is a tremendous tackler and great in run support, but his coverage skills leave alot to be desired. I guess if you want an undersized linebacker on the field, Winfield is your man. I like the Bills chances with Vincent replacing stone-hands Winfield.

Charles Woodson is very average past 10 yds....I watch alot of football and I see him get beat deep WAY too much....plus his speed is a little overrated...I remember a few years back when my man D-Bo took a slant pass and just flat out burned CW!!! It was a great feeling for me...since DB has been burning him since college.....so I personally would rate Woodson some where just above Sam and below Pat..

I also agree on McAllister. I think he's overrated. Always have. Chambers called him the most overrated CB in the league last year. And he backed it up when they faced off.

Back
Top Bottom